Holy Cr*p!

Options
I have read here "measure everything" enough times to know better, but I usually measure about half on the food scale and then go by serving size on packages for the other half.

Today I decided to measure every little thing to see if it made a difference. Just this morning my protien powder scoop measured 30 grams (serving size is 23 grams). The serving size of my wheat crackers is "4 cracker or 28 grams" but 4 crackers weighed 35 grams.

Based on breakfast I am eating 20% more calories than I thought! Even though I was being vigilant about using the packages "serving size" recommendations.

I know this is not news to most people on here, but I was still pretty taken aback. I'm interested to see what happens to my weight loss in the next couple weeks with food being measured accurately :)

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I have read here "measure everything" enough times to know better, but I usually measure about half on the food scale and then go by serving size on packages for the other half.

Today I decided to measure every little thing to see if it made a difference. Just this morning my protien powder scoop measured 30 grams (serving size is 23 grams). The serving size of my wheat crackers is "4 cracker or 28 grams" but 4 crackers weighed 35 grams.

Based on breakfast I am eating 20% more calories than I thought! Even though I was being vigilant about using the packages "serving size" recommendations.

I know this is not news to most people on here, but I was still pretty taken aback. I'm interested to see what happens to my weight loss in the next couple weeks with food being measured accurately :)

Key words.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Thank you for not posting a plateau thread! :)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I hear the same thing over and over yet haven't bought a food scale. I think I should invest in one for science!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness.. I have only measured meats. I never even thought about measuring crackers and things like that. I just went by the food labels. Thank you for posting this! I learned something new. :)
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This was the eye opener I needed to see. I got a food scale that day then.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    I hear the same thing over and over yet haven't bought a food scale. I think I should invest in one for science!

I finally bought one off of Amazon and have fallen head over heals in love with it. My chicken measures "One breast to 4oz". The day I measured my chicken breasts I discovered the majority of them were a good 6-8oz in size.

Life changing. Lol
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The revelation for me was to weigh rather than use measuring spoons/cups, except for liquids. And try to use grams instead of ounces!
  • Cladf
    Cladf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow - I always actually used to pride myself on weighing everything really well. Salads etc I'll add to my plate as it sits on the scale, that kind of thing. But as for bread / crackers etc - if it says 1 cracker = 19cals then I usually just take that as read.

Going to make sure I'm MUCH more careful and weigh absolutely EVERYTHING in future...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be where I'm at today without my food scale. <3 my scale.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Okay. My mission tonight is to pop in at Wally World before or after my gym session. I'm gonna be in my kitchen looking like a mad scientist pulling things out of the cabinet and weighing. Haha. Lord help me.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I do weigh a lot of stuff, but not every little thing. If my weight loss slows, you can bet I will be then.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »

Me too. Personally I find it obsessive, but the more I read the more I think I need to try it.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's any more obsessive than using MFP to log your food...or using measuring spoons and cups when baking a cake...it's just a tool to make sure you're being accurate.

This is the scale I use. I got it because it has a bigger platform so I can use larger dishes (when making a salad or large recipe) or just measure stuff directly on to my dinner plate - I can still see the display. It's my favorite kitchen tool.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Elite-Digital-Kitchen/dp/B009EUPMFK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432218777&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=eat+right+kitchen+scale
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yep, it makes a huge difference.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I bought some heavy cream a while ago. The package said "servings per container: about 2"

That's what you have to watch out for. It was 1 cup serving size but there was 3 cups in the package. It was like an extra 500 calories or something ridiculous.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    The revelation for me was to weigh rather than use measuring spoons/cups, except for liquids. And try to use grams instead of ounces!

^^This right here.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    A food scale was the best thing I ever bought! I measure everything in grams or milliliters. If you haven't bought one yet, do it - they are not that expensive and you can find coupons for places like bed bath and beyond. It starts kind of tedious but it gets easier over time because you start memorizing the serving sizes from your favorite foods - in a couple weeks you'll feel weird not measuring everything.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Two things you absolutely must have in a good food scale: easy access to set it to grams (and hopefully stays where you set it), and tare (zero) button.

I had to buy a new scale after I moved last year, and found out the button to switch between ounces and grams was on the bottom, and it always reset to ounces after it turned off. Major PITA!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Interesting. I do weigh a lot of stuff, but not every little thing. If my weight loss slows, you can bet I will be then.

Same for me!