Cod Liver Oil

Options
theseagull
theseagull Posts: 181 Member
I'm planning to have the ( one a day ) capsule of seven seas cod olive oil which provide omega3 and vitamins A, D+ E.
To keep my bone and knees stronger by the workouts I do.

This capsule's nutrition information: ( per capsule )
pure code liver oil : 525 mg
omega - 3 : 120 mg
of which EPA & DHA : 85 mg
vi A : 100%
vi D : 50%
vi E : 3%
Energy, Protein, Carbohydrate and fat negligible.

My question:
Do these supplements will make me gain weight? Or do they increase my appetite ?

Replies

• nachisdoll
    nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I havnt the foggiest idea but maybe ask the pharmacist or whoever your getting it from?!?!?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I doubt it - I often take cod liver oil for joints, and have never heard any suggestion that they affect metabolism or cause weight gain. Did you read that somewhere?
  • theseagull
    Options
    I doubt it - I often take cod liver oil for joints, and have never heard any suggestion that they affect metabolism or cause weight gain. Did you read that somewhere?

No I didn't. So you had them and you lost this good amount of weight ?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No, it will not make you gain weight or increase your appetite. I take krill oil every day and my dog takes salmon oil. Neither of us have gained weight or become hungrier because of it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, at my age (50 this year,my joints are starting to play up, and I've found that fish oil helps with mobility.

Good Luck!
  • theseagull
    Options
    Thanks alot.

I felt some pain today on my knees thou I was doing cardio about amonth. I'm 28 !
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Is there calories for this oil?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I'm sure there are some calories in it. It will vary by how much you take.
  • freeradicals
    Options
    oil has 40 cals per teaspoon. You'll have to try and work out how much is in your capsule.

If you're having to take supplements, it means your diet is deficient. Why not improve your diet and get those vitamins and nutrients from eating oily fish (mackerel,sardines,herring) regularly instead? You'll be getting extra nutrients on top of those that are in a supplement capsule.
  • theseagull
    Options

As they put in it ,, No calories !!
  • freeradicals
    Options
    oil has 40 cals per teaspoon. You'll have to try and work out how much is in your capsule.

Sorry, I see you stated the ingredients. I must have missed it before. There's 4 calories per capsule for the oil.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    They shouldn't, but the amount of Omega 3 is tiny. We recommend 1000 mg total for a healthy intake. Taking straight fish oil would be better.