HIIT Workouts

Options
What are some awesome HIIT workouts that you've seen great results with?

Replies

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I like to do what I call, The Burn: Jumping jacks, squats, mountain climbers, burpees, lateral jumps in four count cadence, frog jumps in four count candence, 1/4 turn laterals and split jumps.
    I mix it up every now and then.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Do you want to do circuits with body weights, lifting heavy, cardio circuits? Is this at home (with equipment or without) or in a gym? etc..

I lifting heavy and body weight cicruits and also do cardio circuits..
  • chelseahope221
    chelseahope221 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    I like to do what I call, The Burn: Jumping jacks, squats, mountain climbers, burpees, lateral jumps in four count cadence, frog jumps in four count candence, 1/4 turn laterals and split jumps.
    I mix it up every now and then.

Thanks!
  • chelseahope221
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Do you want to do circuits with body weights, lifting heavy, cardio circuits? Is this at home (with equipment or without) or in a gym? etc..

I lifting heavy and body weight cicruits and also do cardio circuits..

Thanks for your input! I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred but didn't know if that was considered HIIT or not. But I do tend to like circuits. I do a lot of this at home. I just hear that HIIT is really good, so wanted to try more things like it.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I tack this treadmill finisher on to the end of my weight training workout, but you could do it at any time (if you have a treadmill). I'd consider this an intermediate level HIIT. If you're not ready to collapse when you're done, it's too easy and you need to adjust something.

Treadmill Finisher - HIIT Sprints
    Warm-up: 4 min @ 4 mph
    Work: 30 sec @ 10 MPH Sprint, 3.5-6.5% Incline (+.5% per work session)
    Rest: 60 sec @ 4.0 MPH Jog, 3.5-6.5% incline (same level as work)
    Rounds: 7
    Cool Down: 2 min

The actual work period is really about 25 seconds, and rest is 50 or so since you need time to let the treadmill adjust speed between sets.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What are some awesome HIIT workouts that you've seen great results with?

Warm up for 15 minutes at easy pace, around 6min/km
    Ten repeats of 100m sprint with 1 minute rest periods at 6min/km.
    Cool down for 15 minutes at 6min/km

If you're not up to 100m sprints, do fifteen repeats of 50m
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred but didn't know if that was considered HIIT or not.

No
    I just hear that HIIT is really good, so wanted to try more things like it.

Lots of people talk a lot of nonsense about it. As part of a balanced programme aiming at performance improvement it has some benefit. In isolation it's of very lmited utility.

It's not the magic bullet that people suggest it is.

• tllincoln
    tllincoln Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv is what I use. Amazing, 12-15 minute HIIT workouts.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Treadmill: Warm-up 5 min. Sprint 30 sec (how fast you run depends on what you are comfortable with) at an incline of 6 - pause treadmill and do 25 squat jacks - rest 60 sec. Back on treadmill and repeat 7-8 times. Obviously if you don't have access to a treadmill you can do your sprint anywhere.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Deadmill sprints. 12 sets of 20 seconds all out 40 second rest or 15 sets of 15 on 45 rest.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do a tabata treadmill run to get a quick run in or as a finisher after a weights day

20 secs on 10 off(just straddle the treadmill)
    incline to 10-12%
    run at a pace 15-30 secs faster then your 5k time.....

it is 4 mins of work and it will seem easy for 2-3 of them, when you get to number 6 you will be begging for mercy....
  • chelseahope221
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!