Holy Cr*p!

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know this is not news to most people on here, but I was still pretty taken aback.

You can never have too many reminders. Thanks for posting your experience! :drinker:

• nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Okay. My mission tonight is to pop in at Wally World before or after my gym session. I'm gonna be in my kitchen looking like a mad scientist pulling things out of the cabinet and weighing. Haha. Lord help me.

This. My family looks at me all crazy and laughs.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough I had my fastest weight loss before I started weighing my food, because I was so afraid to under estimate calories that I didn't realize how badly I was over estimating and actually under eating. Go figure.

That's not a good thing either, it's just the opposite of what usually seems to happen!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness.. I have only measured meats. I never even thought about measuring crackers and things like that. I just went by the food labels. Thank you for posting this! I learned something new. :)

I've recently started measuring out pretzels, chips etc because I've found the serving size recommendations aren't that accurate for some reason. I just had a serving of pretzels and the serving size is 10 pretzels/28g. However, most of the pretzels in the bag were broke (grrr), so I measured out the grams and it was half of a cereal bowl full of pretzel pieces! I stopped counting at 20 pieces, but yeah-no way I could have correctly eyeballed a correct serving size without my food scale.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hmmmm. Food for thought. Thank you.

So far, I've only been weighing my meat/fish, And cheese (on the rare occasion I have that delicious stuff!) and some fruit and veg. Like you, I assumed that the nutritional/calorie count on the food label is correct.
    At this point, I'm on track....losing 1-2lbs a week, but it's still early (week 4). If I hit some type of plateau I suppose I'll have to weight everything too.....uggg.....the rebel in me rails against such rigorous conformity! Lol
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Two things you absolutely must have in a good food scale: easy access to set it to grams (and hopefully stays where you set it), and tare (zero) button.

I had to buy a new scale after I moved last year, and found out the button to switch between ounces and grams was on the bottom, and it always reset to ounces after it turned off. Major PITA!

I have an oxo one I got from Target, and it zeros out and measures in grams. I was flipping back and forth between grams and ounces and realized that ounces aren't all that accurate either (my protein powder read the correct number of ounces but is was +/- 5 grams).

--

I don't know if I will always weigh everything, but I will for at least a few weeks. I eat a lot of the same foods so I imagine once I learn the difference between an actual measured serving and what I have been eating I'll be able to tell more easily which is correct.

But it is crazy I could have been eating up to 20% more calories. That explains the slow weight loss anyway lol

Now if only every single thread that says "stuck", or "plateaued" or 'I can't lose weight!" would read your OP everyone could actually learn something! Hope more people read what you've posted here. Very true.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    This is why I can't stand some prepackaged snacks! I've even noticed bread does this a lot - be careful when logging each slice, not many people would think about that one, but you'd be surprised how off some of them can be!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    This is why I can't stand some prepackaged snacks! I've even noticed bread does this a lot - be careful when logging each slice, not many people would think about that one, but you'd be surprised how off some of them can be!

Eggs too. Mine are usually 5 to 10 grams more than a serving.