Ladies - weights, squats, lunges don't make your legs bulky

Options
PlumpKitten
PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I do not have long, lean legs. I am 5'1", with sizable knees and ankles. When I played soccer for fun
in high school, I built up my calves basically by just looking at them.

So when I started doing weights after gaining 40 lbs through 2 pregnancies, I was really worried about bulking up. I even tried avoiding exercises involving calves, I was so paranoid I would get what Asians call "turnip legs."

In retrospect -- this was silly. You NEED to do leg exercises, because those are some of the largest muscles in your body. That's how you burn fat & tone up overall. Plus, I had to face the fact that
a) Much of the mass I was blaming on "muscle" was (admittedly) actually fat
b) There's nothing I can do about bone structure anyway
c) Unless you're a big guy eating whole chickens, protein shakes & pumping iron -- you're not going to "bulk up" any body part by accident,

So here are my legs, after 2 months of lunges, squats, calf raises - combined with some light jogging and stretching.
Doing resistance work on my legs have NOT made them bigger. It has
a) gotten rid of fat and water retention
b) toned up the muscles

This is definitely not the final product. I still have a long way to go in building up my legs. But as you can see, it's not like weights have turned my legs into a She-Hulks. In fact, they are a bit thinner and fit into jeans better.

xegxvgrevuqd.jpg

Replies

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Counter to point c

I squat and deadlift heavy - I've worked up to 5x5 225lbs as my last work weight. My thighs and calves are getting smaller. I am also drinking protein shakes, casein and eating high protein.

Tired of hearing a counter to this of "well my female body type is special and I will bulk." Unless your special body type includes eating to bulk, hormones, and roids you aren't going to bulk.
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think lots of women start out on a new exercise program and don't realize that water is going to rush into the muscle to repair, and as the muscle groups on the legs are some of the largest in the body it is always going to be more noticeable there. Some people have trouble accepting that this isn't muscle mass added, it's repairing water and it will pass and reduce as the program continues. It's another reason that taking scale weight when you start lifting isn't a good indicator of how much fat you are burning. The initial extra water phase can obscure fat loss which is actually happening.
  • rigby619
    rigby619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, This is good to read! I have 'chunky' legs they are a good part muscle I work out a lot but should maybe try more weight sessions! ;-)
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I squat, deadlift, leg presses and hip thrust...my butt is bigger, firmer and higher up and overall legs are getting defined

I also had water retention and thot I had "bulked" but persisted and now my pants fit better and my belts are now too long....heavy lifting is the best!!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Tired of hearing a counter to this of "well my female body type is special and I will bulk." Unless your special body type includes eating to bulk, hormones, and roids you aren't going to bulk.

That.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    whatevs. I have big freaking quads cause I work 'em, and I've been doing so for years. You've been working 2 months? I don't really think you're an expert but keep on keeping on, babe. Exercise is good.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    whatevs. I have big freaking quads cause I work 'em, and I've been doing so for years. You've been working 2 months? I don't really think you're an expert but keep on keeping on, babe. Exercise is good.

^This. I bulk, especially at the arms/shoulders. I do not follow any program aimed at bulking specifically, but I tend to build muscle. Obviously not after two months of exercise, but two decades do make a difference. I am pretty sure elevated androgens in my case make a difference too, but there is no mistaking I have muscles. Without roids or special supplements. The only times my legs lookede like in the OP where after complicated pregnancies followed by c-sections requiring no exercise for a total of a year or so at a time. I think the body remembers though, at least my body (again, do not know if this hormone related). Building muscle at first takes time, but then after breaks from exercise, it is a matter of months to get back to visible muscle again.
  • PlumpKitten
    Options

Thanks! No, no expert. Just a baby lifter.

Wanted to encourage other newbies frightened off by "RAWRRR OVERNIGHT BULKING" myth among some women.

• PlumpKitten
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

^This. I bulk, especially at the arms/shoulders. I do not follow any program aimed at bulking specifically, but I tend to build muscle. Obviously not after two months of exercise, but two decades do make a difference. I am pretty sure elevated androgens in my case make a difference too, but there is no mistaking I have muscles. Without roids or special supplements. The only times my legs lookede like in the OP where after complicated pregnancies followed by c-sections requiring no exercise for a total of a year or so at a time. I think the body remembers though, at least my body (again, do not know if this hormone related). Building muscle at first takes time, but then after breaks from exercise, it is a matter of months to get back to visible muscle again.

Thanks. Wow, 2 decades. Respect to you.
    Sure - it's great to have muscles. I'd like to build up muscles w/ time too.
    I'm not saying muscles are bad. I'm just pointing out that bulking doesn't happen "accidentally."

I'm writing from an Asian city where women just don't lift. I started with wimpy 8-lb handweights and a barbell with no weights on it. Men told me to get back on the treadmill or yoga if I wanted to be "less fat" - and nobody stood up for me. The female gym staff told me 8-lb weights (!) would make me "bulky and unfeminine." So just trying to counter those stereotypes -- and encouraging women to get lean and fit.

Lots of Asian women are afraid to do any lifting bc they're convinced they'll "bulk up", like, overnight. So they just starve themselves & spend all day on the eliptical on the lowest setting. And it's ridiculous.

• PlumpKitten
    Options

I wish there was a "like" button like on Facebook!
  • PlumpKitten
    Options
    Counter to point c

I squat and deadlift heavy - I've worked up to 5x5 225lbs as my last work weight. My thighs and calves are getting smaller. I am also drinking protein shakes, casein and eating high protein.

Thanks for that. I can only dream of deadlifting that much someday.
  • PlumpKitten
    Options
    rigby619 wrote: »
    Hi, This is good to read! I have 'chunky' legs they are a good part muscle I work out a lot but should maybe try more weight sessions! ;-)

Yes, it may seem counter-intuitive that leg exercises will make your legs (your whole body) leaner, not bulkier. And at first, you might get water retention from more exercise - but be patient. Good luck!

• PlumpKitten
    Options

Again, I am just a beginner, baby lifter. But - while it might not be obvious to others - I've noticed my shoulders are already more shapely. There's a little curve to the top of them that wasn't there before. My bra straps don't fall down anymore!

My posture is better. My back is stronger. I can swing my 25- and 30-lb kids around a bit easier. There aren't giant changes in my body yet, but my belt is a bit tighter, too - and I've gone down a jean size.

Ladies - lift! Even if you're not great at it like me -- :(
    So much better than trying to eat only 1200 cal a day & doing the ol' walk/job on the treadmill

• PlumpKitten
    Options

I sympathize. I'm coming off of two pregnancies, the second of which required an emergency C-section. (First one was natural birth). I wasn't bedridden for a year like you, but my recovery was slow. My abs were so ruined I couldn't sit up from a prone position for months.

I started recovering from that C-section with yoga. Am just discovering weights now.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    A 35 pound, 22 month bulk and my thighs have only grown a half inch. My lifts have exploded though.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    *sigh* me and my bird body (aka beach ball with sticks poking out) would be so happy if you could bulk up while losing weight...I am at least definitely certain that my stomach and hips have not gotten bigger from lifting...
  • PlumpKitten
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    *sigh* me and my bird body (aka beach ball with sticks poking out) would be so happy if you could bulk up while losing weight...I am at least definitely certain that my stomach and hips have not gotten bigger from lifting...

LOL. :smile:
  • PlumpKitten
    Options
    A 35 pound, 22 month bulk and my thighs have only grown a half inch. My lifts have exploded though.

that's so encouraging. thanks for that!
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! I hate my legs, they're my worst feature. Huge tree trunk like things that don't seem to shrink along with the rest of my body. I plan on doing a whole lot of leg exercises.
  • PlumpKitten
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »
    Beautiful! I hate my legs, they're my worst feature. Huge tree trunk like things that don't seem to shrink along with the rest of my body. I plan on doing a whole lot of leg exercises.

I felt the same way, too. Just remember to stretch legs before and after. That helps lengthen out the muscles and tendons, I hear. Good luck!