Breathing pattern for beginners

Options
Hi- I'm a newbie runner after surviving cancer a few years ago. I am currently following the couch to 5k training plan. The hardest part for me is breathing- I can't seem to push past a few minutes of running without needing to walk to catch my breath. It's holding back my progress.

I am wondering if anyone has any good breathing tips for a beginner runner. I read somewhere that you should breathe in for two steps, then out for two steps- but this doesn't seem to be enough for me. I do the best when I inhale deep into my stomach, but I am not sure how often do do huge breaths like this.

Any good breathing tips for absolute beginners?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for a long time, but it's pretty personal so I don't have much advice to offer from a distance. Perhaps you just need to slow down?
  • ncolant
    ncolant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it happens at most paces I try, I think my stamina is just low. Any good tips for pushing through?
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    for me...its my pattern is the "don't pass out" method. :wink:

Truthfully, you are starting out way too fast if you need to stop so quickly. I would think that if you ramp into running, so say the first 5 minutes you walk progressively quicker until you HAVE to run, then keep that pace.

Congratulations on beating cancer too...that is an amazing feat on its own.
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've heard about breathing patterns but for me unless I take pretty deep breaths through my mouth I struggle a lot. I think you should breathe however is most comfortable for you and as you build up more of a running base it should come a lot easier and you shouldn't need to catch your breath.

This might be too advanced, but I learned recently that my running form was wrong (my steps were too big so I was trudging along and putting a lot of my energy down instead of forward) and for me that completely changed how much energy it took to run. I also have to concentrate on relaxing a lot or I tighten up all of my muscles as I run and that makes it a lot harder (I was having to stop running after a mile because my jaw and shoulders hurt I was so tensed up). So if it seems you're having trouble with something like that you might want to have a running coach, personal trainer at the gym, or someone else qualified look at your form. Otherwise, you probably just need to run a little slower and increase your endurance and breathing easier will come.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
  • sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try doing some breathing exercises - I have the same problem, and I noticed when I do that the night before or a half hour before I usually keep the pace. I tend to "hold" my breath when I run =( I try chewing gum too that really helps lol. good luck! and yay for being a cancer survivor!! stay strong!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    As you progress, if you are on a comfortable run, you'll likely naturally settle into a 2-2 pattern (breathe in 2 steps, breathe out 2 steps), which is what most pros above 5k do. I think Jack Daniels' latest book (Runners formula 3) mentioned that sprinters sometimes settle into a 2-1 or 1-2 pattern.

Still, if you are just starting out, and you can't converse comfortably at first, just slow down until you are at a pace where you can do that and breathe comfortably. Speed with come with time & training.
  • HoundstoothMFP
    HoundstoothMFP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check your iron levels. I still run slow (I'm over 300+) but before I got my anemia together I couldn't run more than 2 minutes at any speed without breathing problems. Before I got injured I was up to 3.5 miles without having to stop.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    How far into the C25K program are you? It can take time for your respiratory system to adjust. I think, for me, it was about week 3 or so before I felt that my breathing was coming under control.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I wrote this a while ago, and I still go back to it... Maybe it will help you?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/689328/running-my-bs-and-cs-to-breaking-through-the-wall#latest
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Mirey...that top is legit!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow survivor!

I spend 30 mins a day box breathing - 4 counts in, 4 count hold, 4 count out, 4 count hold - repeat.

You need to train your body to breathe again and it will come over time. You should try to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth ideally; however is the beginning you'll feel oxygen starved and have a desire to breathe through your mouth. This is your body telling you to slow down. Take it slow and continue to monitor your progress - keep a log and track how long it takes for you to breathe normally after a run.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I go for Max O2. I breath though my nose, mouth, ears. Anything.

If I get side stitches I breath out when the opposite foot hits. That's about it.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Mirey...that top is legit!!

HAHA! Thanks! I'm trying to make her proud!