Wooziness After Exercise

Options
Equus5374
Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
Not sure what's going on, but often I get woozy or lightheaded after cardio and/or lifting. I'm staying hydrated and currently eating at maintenance (1900 cal.). I got to my goal weight but still have flab so I'm trying to lift heavy to lose that. I just don't know why I get woozy. I try to eat enough prior to exercise. I've been to the doctor and all blood work came back okay. Anyone with similar experience?

FYI: 5-foot-10, 135 lbs., 41 year old female

Replies

• joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    try to eat some carbs close to the start of your training...so just move a bit of your food to pre-workout so your net stays the same.
  • MrsMeans2015
    MrsMeans2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just something I found that was worth reading....

Why Does Exercise Lower BP?

Dramatic changes take place in your cardiovascular system when you exercise. Blood flow to working muscles increases tremendously, which causes an immediate drop in blood pressure. The body responds quickly, increasing heart rate and cardiac output to maintain blood pressure at the level required.

When you stop exercising, blood pressure can fall just as dramatically. This is due to a number of factors:

When the muscles stop contracting, there is no longer a pump to send blood back to the heart. The heart responds by lowering cardiac output, and blood pressure drops.
    Concentrations of metabolic byproducts (such as lactic acid) remain in the bloodstream, which causes blood vessels in the muscle to remain dilated. This allows blood flow in these areas to remain high, resulting in a fall in blood volume of the heart, which lowers BP.
    Body temperature increases with exercise. That causes the blood vessels in the skin to dilate in order to lose the extra heat. This also reduces blood volume in the heart.
    In some people, especially those who fail to do a cool-down routine and stand still after exercising, blood pressure drops so much that they faint. But for most, the reduced BP is a desirable outcome. Although it will increase somewhat during the hours after exercise, there is evidence that repeated exercise sessions will gradually lower resting BP, especially in those with borderline or mild hypertension.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that's interesting. I have a somewhat low BP at rest. I do take time to cool down and stretch. I also have "runner's heart" -- slower than average heart rate (40 - 60 bpm at rest).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    it could be as simple as just focusing on your breathing.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would try changing up what you eat prior to your workout. How long before you eat. And what type of food you eat (carbs, proteins, fats, etc). How long after does it start? If it's like 20min later...try eating something right after your workout.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    If you have enough fuel (food) and are hydrated then my first question is, how is your breathing when working out? Do you tend to hold your breath when lifting or gasp for breath during cardio? This can cause woozieness and tiredness. I get dismissed when I suggest that here, but it is a factor.

Use your lungs to their capacity. Deep, as slow as possible breaths during both cardio and lifting helps both your energy level and endurance.

Also, the blood pressure thing in the previous post is interesting. Could be a possibility as well.