Feeling guilty

Options
It's that time of the month due any day now so all week I've been craving sugar, mainly chocolate. I've been substituting with other things and allowed chocolate within my calorie goal each day however... Last night I binged, 700 calories of chocolate was consumed. I was still at a deficit but I feel so guilty! Today has been bad too. Still within my calorie goals but way over my sugar and carbs. I'm going to body combat later to burn off some calories but I'm sat here feeling so guilty. I haven't weighed for two weeks due to my diet being up and down whilst moving house, so I'm really anxious for next Wednesday (weigh day)

Replies

• EnglishCanadian
    EnglishCanadian Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It happens - these hormones and the things they do to us!! Easier said than done but try not to feel guilty about it - you recognised it, you owned it, now move past it - focus on body combat later and aim for foods that will help you to feel good. How are you feeling now? You're in it for the long haul so don't let a couple of days of eating crap ruin the good work you've done. Dust yourself off, get back on to feeling good :) You can do it!!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    jellytot3 wrote: »
    It's that time of the month due any day now so all week I've been craving sugar, mainly chocolate. I've been substituting with other things and allowed chocolate within my calorie goal each day however... Last night I binged, 700 calories of chocolate was consumed. I was still at a deficit but I feel so guilty! Today has been bad too. Still within my calorie goals but way over my sugar and carbs. I'm going to body combat later to burn off some calories but I'm sat here feeling so guilty. I haven't weighed for two weeks due to my diet being up and down whilst moving house, so I'm really anxious for next Wednesday (weigh day)

So what's the problem? Calories is basically all that matters in the end.

• Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: If you are making your diet a permanent lifestyle, then going over your calories every now and then is no big deal at all. Just log it, acknowledge it, and move on. Consistency over a long period of time is key. If the general trend of your weight is down, then that's all that matters :)
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the guilt. I struggle with it when I go off program, so to speak. But honestly, it's such a useless emotion. It does nothing but feed into a negative feedback loop which then can encourage eating to soothe yourself. Don't feel guilty. You are within your calorie goals, which is fantastic, and you're even going to work out to get a little exercise in (and hopefully help you kick the guilty feeling in its butt!) Don't be scared of the scale. It's only a number. You really are working hard and that's what counts. If you go a little up, it's not a big deal, just keep going forward. As people on this board say, you got this.
  • nurumirarashid
    nurumirarashid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it is okay as long as we dont ever give up and try to burn some calories later that day. We can call it cheat day
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It happens - these hormones and the things they do to us!! Easier said than done but try not to feel guilty about it - you recognised it, you owned it, now move past it - focus on body combat later and aim for foods that will help you to feel good. How are you feeling now? You're in it for the long haul so don't let a couple of days of eating crap ruin the good work you've done. Dust yourself off, get back on to feeling good :) You can do it!!

I don't see my self as having done any good work though :(
  • Hollisamara
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

Because calories from sugar and carbs are going to hinder my weight loss :(
  • Hollisamara
    Options
    Arliah wrote: »
    Here's the thing: If you are making your diet a permanent lifestyle, then going over your calories every now and then is no big deal at all. Just log it, acknowledge it, and move on. Consistency over a long period of time is key. If the general trend of your weight is down, then that's all that matters :)

Yes, the general trend is down but I haven't weighed for two weeks and I'm really scared I've gained. Only lost 9 lbs so far.
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too... Big time. I've been trying to have a fruit and veggie smoothie in the evenings (when I want chocolate) with cocoa powder to see if it does the trick... Worked yesterday :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No more than carbs from fat or protein.... The only ones that hinder weight loss are surplus calories.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you were still at a deficit, there is no reason to feel guilty.

Do you not quite understand how weight loss works? Genuinely curious, I'm not being snarky. The things you're saying leads me to believe you might not have a firm grasp on the ins and outs of calories and weight loss.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Yeeeeah....no. That is not correct.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Nope.

Calories are calories when it comes to weight loss. As long as you eat within your goal, you are fine. And, frankly, if you have a couple of days of eating at maintenance, it's not going to hurt you.

Feel guilty for running over a baby duckling. Feel guilty for forgetting your grandma's birthday. Feel guilty for failing to RSVP to your friend's wedding. Don't feel guilty for eating chocolate.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories.
    If you were still at a deficit then it doesn't matter for weight loss what you ate. Some things like high sodium might contribute to you retaining water for a few days.
    Just log and move on.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Guilty for eating chocolate? :o

I'd be more concerned about eating too little proper food (as 700 calories of chocolate doesn't bust your budget).
  • Hollisamara
    Options
    If you were still at a deficit, there is no reason to feel guilty.

Do you not quite understand how weight loss works? Genuinely curious, I'm not being snarky. The things you're saying leads me to believe you might not have a firm grasp on the ins and outs of calories and weight loss.

Most likely not lol

• Hollisamara
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Nope.

Calories are calories when it comes to weight loss. As long as you eat within your goal, you are fine. And, frankly, if you have a couple of days of eating at maintenance, it's not going to hurt you.

Feel guilty for running over a baby duckling. Feel guilty for forgetting your grandma's birthday. Feel guilty for failing to RSVP to your friend's wedding. Don't feel guilty for eating chocolate.

Nicely put
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Yes, the general trend is down but I haven't weighed for two weeks and I'm really scared I've gained. Only lost 9 lbs so far.
    In what time frame? You will see gains at some point, but that's most likely water weight etc etc ... weight fluctuates, weight loss is not linear.
  • Hollisamara
    Options

In what time frame? You will see gains at some point, but that's most likely water weight etc etc ... weight fluctuates, weight loss is not linear.

Since February 26th, it averages at 1lb a week as I haven't weighed for two weeks.