Frequent Urination Anyone?

Options
Hi everyone,
I have diabetes 2 but I have it under control and don't need medication.
As soon as I go on a diet I need to excessively pee throughout the day. Almost every hour and my bladder us really full.
Is this related to the diet or to my diabetes?
I am now on a healthy low carb diet. My diabetes condition should be getting better not worse!
Does this happen to everyone or diabetics only?
Why does it happen?

Replies

• inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have no idea in regards to being a diabetic because I'm not one but I have to go the bathroom a lot because of all the darn water I drink. Are you drinking a lot of fluids to make u go? If not, maybe talk to your doctor about the whole diabetes concern.
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I start a diet, as I think my body is shedding fluids. It usually levels out after the first week or so.
  • Daveysgirl2014
    Daveysgirl2014 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am not a diabetic and I have to urinate very frequently. I'm that way anyway, but with all the water I'm taking in it really is excessive.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    See your doctor.

No offense, but this isn't a medical forum. Health questions should be addressed to your health professional.
  • Rubyitstime
    Rubyitstime Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes I do tend to drink more water when I am dieting but I normally drink plenty of water even when I am not. It doesn't account for the ridiculous amount of times I have my bladder so full throughout the day.
    I saw my doctor he told me I am fine and my diabetes is under control.
  • Rubyitstime
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    See your doctor.

No offense, but this isn't a medical forum. Health questions should be addressed to your health professional.

I don't mean to get medical advice here. We share experiences and some people here are knowledgeable in how diets work.
    That's all I am aiming for. I needed to know if other people experience this and if anyone knows the science behind it.
    What's so bad about that?
    I thought this was a supportive forum!
    Thanks a lot! I'm new here and now I'll think a million times before asking anything again.
  • sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic...and I pee all the time lol. It could be because you are running higher than normal. I am type 1 though, I would check with your doc. How many times are you going? I'm usually around 5/6 sometimes more depending on how much I am drinking -
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2 pots of coffee every morning and about a quart of water every afternoon at my desk.

So yeah, I have to pee a lot.

Not particularly helpful to OP, but I'm glad to have that off my chest.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to get medical advice here. We share experiences and some people here are knowledgeable in how diets work.
    That's all I am aiming for. I needed to know if other people experience this and if anyone knows the science behind it.
    What's so bad about that?
    I thought this was a supportive forum!
    Thanks a lot! I'm new here and now I'll think a million times before asking anything again.

Okay, no need to get defensive. I was just expressing concern. A lot of people go on forums like these with health questions and get a bunch of answers from random strangers on the internet, many of which are just plain wrong (because, well, The Internet) and tend to take that advice over the advice of a doctor.

• Daveysgirl2014
    Options
    Please don't feel that way. There are supportive people on here. Feel free to ask whatever you like. As far as others' comments. Take what you like and leave the rest. :-)
  • Daveysgirl2014
    Options
    And there was nothing wrong with your question.
  • Rubyitstime
    Options
    Please don't feel that way. There are supportive people on here. Feel free to ask whatever you like. As far as others' comments. Take what you like and leave the rest. :-)
    Thanks.
    Needed to hear that. :)
  • Daveysgirl2014
    Options
    Absolutely. Feel free to add me.
  • Rubyitstime
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I drink about 2 pots of coffee every morning and about a quart of water every afternoon at my desk.

So yeah, I have to pee a lot.

Not particularly helpful to OP, but I'm glad to have that off my chest.

Lol...
    Glad I could help :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go to the doctor if I was you. I thought urinating frequently could be a symptom of diabetes, which you already know you have but as it's new, unless you're drinking litres of water during the day, I'd get it checked out. Just to be on the safe side.
  • Rubyitstime
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I would definitely go to the doctor if I was you. I thought urinating frequently could be a symptom of diabetes, which you already know you have but as it's new, unless you're drinking litres of water during the day, I'd get it checked out. Just to be on the safe side.

No it's ok I already checked it out with the doctor he said my diabetes is much better than before and I was off medication.
    I have only had diabetes for the past 3 years.
    I have been dieting for the past 8 years and this happens every time I start my diet.

The reason I am asking now is I am really determined to lose a lot of weight and I thought understanding things, digging deeper, finding a community, having support and all that is crucial for success this time.
    I don't have much support at home.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Diabetes (both types) and a lot of other things including side effects of some medications can cause frequent urination. Dropping a lot of carbs will cause it in the early parts of a dietary change as will simply consuming more fluids. If you're not already, I'd suggest logging all food and drink religiously. This will help you achieve your weight loss goals but also can help you monitor your body and notice trends.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The first thing i thought before i even opened this post was "frequent urination? Must be diabetes".

From Mayo Clinic-

Excessive thirst and increased urination are classic diabetes symptoms.

When you have diabetes, excess sugar (glucose) builds up in your blood. Your kidneys are forced to work overtime to filter and absorb the excess sugar. If your kidneys can't keep up, the excess sugar is excreted into your urine along with fluids drawn from your tissues. This triggers more frequent urination, which may leave you dehydrated. As you drink more fluids to quench your thirst, you'll urinate even more.

Are you sure when you switched diets it didn't disrupt your current level of treatment for diabetes? Are your sugars in control? Have you tested your urine for sugar?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do not know how low carb, but low carb is a water shedder!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I have to pee all the time but for me that is due to a fibroid pressing on my bladder.