What do you do when you are sore?

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
Do you push through it and keep on track with your daily plan or do you rest your body?

Yesterday, I did arm/back strength training, walked on the treadmill for 60 mins and then a leisurely 25 minute bike ride. This morning I am sore, but not in pain. Today's workout is just 60 mins on the treadmill and then 25 kettlebell swings (10 pounds) and I am trying to decide if I should push myself or just rest/stretch.

I am leaning towards pushing myself because the main area I am sore is my biceps/triceps and a little tender in my upper legs. So, my plan for today should not aggravate it any worse.

So, I guess I am just trying to determine when it is time to push and when your body is telling you to rest? Is there a good way to decide?

Replies

• FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on how sore I am and where I'm sore. I usually alternate my strength and running/cardio days too. Also a lot of times, for me anyways, going for run even if my legs are a little sore helps some of that soreness go away. Now if I'm so sore that I can hardly walk or lift my arms, then I'll take it easy that day and just do some yoga and go for a walk.

If you feel that you could make it through your workout today, then go for it but just remember to listen to your body and take breaks when you need them.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I would do mine.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Epson salt baths on my strength training days. If I'm too sore to move then I rest.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Maybe a lighter work out. Working out actually helps ease muscle soreness. That said, I have swapped a rest day with a work out day if I felt more injured than sore...like a pulled muscle or an old injury flairing up.

Ice, Ibuprofen, stretching (foam roller) for just regular soreness after a light workout usually works for me.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Push through it. DOMS will disappear after a while so you'll stop getting sore. If you back off every time you get sore you'll slow your progress drastically.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The only thing I watch is my back and shoulders. I have hurt myself, so I try not to do anything with back and shoulders 2 days in a row.

That said regular soreness, I find cardio really helps and stretching. So maybe just add some extra stretches in today :)
  • nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't miss a workout if I am sore. I try to stretch more and that night, I will take a hot bubble bath with some Epsom salts =) works wonders !
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    A little sore: I don't do anything different and work out as planned. It usually makes me feel better.

Very sore: Lighten up the workout, but still do it. It usually makes me feel better.

Injured: Take time off. It usually makes me feel better.

The real answer is that you need to analyze what's going on and make the most sensible determination. If the action you choose makes you feel worse instead of better, there's a good chance it was the wrong action.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hot and cold compress. Hot bath. Rest (most effective).

I started taking metabolic/recovery supplement couple of weeks ago. I rode 20 miles on two consecutive days this week after winter break. I normally get sore from 40 miles ride after a long break. I noticed I wasn't sore. I still rested yesterday though.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I pushed through and did my workout as planned. The result was less sore muscles! My muscles actually feel better after the workout, so I guess it was good to push through! I am also doing more stretching today as part of my cool down and I am going to do the hot epsom salt bath tonight!

Feels so good to move and push myself!
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Foam roll! It hurts so good!
  • sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Buy a foam roller....it is TORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTURE but it gets all the kinks and soreness out. Trust me, its a LIFE saver!
  • Emily3907
    Options
    I am intrigued by this foam roller idea. To amazon I go! :)
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Check out youtube for how to use them. I was so confused at first! And good job on pushing through the soreness with your workout. B)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Normal typical doms I just push through. Any actual injury I train around - currently rehabbing a tweaked pelvis and while I'm still squatting and pulling, my percentages are way down from where I'm supposed to be.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Apologize if this has been said, but the more you move the sore muscles the better they feel. So yes, I would push through it. Welcome to the wonderful world of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) :wink:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i keep moving slowly, active recovery. keep the blood flowing to nourish the healing process.
  • sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I am intrigued by this foam roller idea. To amazon I go! :)

I got my foam roller at Target...they are a little pricey in my opinion, but it does wonders!! There are plenty of videos you can follow to learn how to roll out different parts of your body. good luck!
  • sunnysparkles16
    sunnysparkles16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A restorative yoga session really helps me :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I complain about being sore to anyone who will listen. Then I workout anyway.