How can I avoid gaining on vacation?

Options
rhinomidget
rhinomidget Posts: 52 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So, I've been on vacation since Saturday, and although I'm still working out, I'm also eating out a lot (it's mostly just one meal out a day, the rest of the day I eat healthily).. Although I'm selecting the healthiest things on the menu (salads, veggie bowls, ect), the dressing and stuff is still probably pretty unhealthy..not only that, but I'm also having dessert (not the entire thing, just 2 - 4 spoonfuls and that's it).

Do you think I'm going to gain weight or should I be fine? Are there any ways for me to avoid gaining weight? (I'm not looking to lose weight, just maintain)

Thanks! (p.s sorry about the probably horrific english, it's not my first language and i'm still learning : )

EDIT: OH and by the way, I actually don't count calories..I found that the one time I did, my body was extremely unhappy and I actually ended up gaining weight.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How long are you gone for? Honestly, I would just enjoy yourself. It sounds like you have a good handle on things, but I wouldn't worry so much - just relax and have fun.. eat the whole dessert! :)

I just got back from a week long all inclusive vacation last week, I ate everything I wanted, drank, had dessert every night and did no workouts at all (unless you count walking and a bit of swimming). I maybe had a 2lb water gain when I got back but otherwise I looked the same.. nothing a few days back to normal routine can't handle.
  • rhinomidget
    rhinomidget Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How long are you gone for?

I have been gone for 5 days and will return home/back to my normal routine on Saturday :)

• Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think the only way to be sure you don't gain is to find out your maintenance and log everything. However, I also think vacation is a nice time to play it by ear, testing the lessons you've learned so far by not logging, trying to balance making smart choices and enjoying yourself. You may get home and weigh in and surprise yourself with how much you've changed. Or you may go home with a couple extra pounds, then get back on track and shed them like you did before. You now have the tools to lose, maintain, and gain - it's only you who knows if you can afford a little extra time in the journey to enjoy a vacation and learn about yourself or if you'd rather keep your nose to the grindstone. Either way have a great trip! :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lilylenz wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How long are you gone for?

I have been gone for 5 days and will return home/back to my normal routine on Saturday :)

Oh you will be fine! You may come back with some extra water weight, but it will come off in no time. Seriously.. enjoy yourself! You deserve it :)
  • pgj0hns0n
    pgj0hns0n Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A holiday is time to relax and enjoy something that's not routine. Don't feel guilty about eating dessert - have two! If you stress too much you'll return from holiday more stressed than when you went there.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I tend to be much more active on vacation so the extra calories don't make a difference. At work I sit behind a desk most of the day but on vacation I am walking around and enjoying the sights and new experiences my location has to offer. Enjoy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    make sensible choices, portion control, do fun and active stuff while you're on vacation. Personally I don't fuss about it too much...I don't go off the rail, but I enjoy myself. I'm always far more active on vacation than at home and I've never gained any actual fat on vacation, just bloat which is usually from air travel.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Relax and enjoy your vacation. As long as you plan on going back to exercising and logging you foods when you get back and don't extend your vacationing ways, I see no reason to worry. If you gain a few pounds, oh well. It should come off easily after you get back.

I think it's important to not let ourselves become so obsessed about our weight that we can't enjoy a little splurging on vacation. Enjoy life!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I pig myself on holiday and at Christmas, there is no way I'd be worrying about gaining. Be good most of the time and you'll be fine. Enjoy your holiday, you can burn it off within a few weeks once your back :)
  • joe3052
    joe3052 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is relax on vacation. It's healthy to give your body and mind a break every now and then. Turn your app off and enjoy your time. When you come back take time to get back into things. I've seen people come back from vacation and practically starve themselves and workout extra hard, which is extremely damaging to their body.
  • Junenh
    Junenh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm facing this too because I am going on a vacation second week of June. I'll be with my boyfriend and happily he is very supportive. We will be eating out, and the vacation includes a couple days in New York City and then a few days driving down the coast in New Jersey to Virginia. My plan is to try to eat healthy, to try to eat lots of veggies when possible, and to split entrées with my boyfriend. I do plan on eating a few things that are a little richer than my normal fare, but in small amounts. We both like a wide variety of foods and can usually agree on something we both would like. Most entrées are more than enough for two people honestly, but if we are still hungry we can order something else. If my boyfriend gets dessert or some rich snack, he's happy to share. Sometimes if its something I really want he will eat it so I can get 2-3 bites of it.
    I'm a little worried about exercise, because although we will be doing a lot of walking, I've been running 4 times a week and boot camp twice a week, and I doubt it will even out. (I'm preparing for a 1/2 marathon in October) I might be able to do a little running on my own (My boyfriend has issues with his ankle and although he can walk all day, he can't really run)
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Junenh wrote: »
    I'm facing this too because I am going on a vacation second week of June. I'll be with my boyfriend and happily he is very supportive. We will be eating out, and the vacation includes a couple days in New York City and then a few days driving down the coast in New Jersey to Virginia. My plan is to try to eat healthy, to try to eat lots of veggies when possible, and to split entrées with my boyfriend. I do plan on eating a few things that are a little richer than my normal fare, but in small amounts. We both like a wide variety of foods and can usually agree on something we both would like. Most entrées are more than enough for two people honestly, but if we are still hungry we can order something else. If my boyfriend gets dessert or some rich snack, he's happy to share. Sometimes if its something I really want he will eat it so I can get 2-3 bites of it.
    I'm a little worried about exercise, because although we will be doing a lot of walking, I've been running 4 times a week and boot camp twice a week, and I doubt it will even out. (I'm preparing for a 1/2 marathon in October) I might be able to do a little running on my own (My boyfriend has issues with his ankle and although he can walk all day, he can't really run)

If you come to NYC and you eat salads or plates of vegetables then you might as well just go straight to New Jersey.

:smile:
  • erinp523
    erinp523 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This weekend is mine and my husbands one year anniversary. Tonight we had Chili's take it out and I really enjoyed some of the things I have not had in months. We are going away for the next two days and going out for dinner both nights and doing a wine/beer tour. I've been a little nervous leading up to this because i don't want to gain however I know myself and know that when I get back Monday I will be back in my routine and it I gain a pound or two I know I can lose it. I don't have any "deadlines" so a little wiggle room from time to time is okay!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

If you come to NYC and you eat salads or plates of vegetables then you might as well just go straight to New Jersey.

So true! :mrgreen:

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm going to New Orleans next month for my honeymoon and we chose it just to eat!
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your holiday and get back on track straight afterwards. Last time I went on holiday I put on 14lb in 11 days and had a fantastic time. A month after I had returned I had lost it all again. Don't deprive yourself too much, holidays are special times in our lives meant for enjoying.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've just been away for 9 days and I put on 4lbs but I enjoyed myself and I'm confident it will come back off in the next week or so. I did exercise and eat some healthy salads but also ate out a few times and drank far too much alcohol! I enjoyed myself and came back feeling relaxed and revitalised so I think that's more important. I can now get back into my healthy routine and kick start weight loss again. Ok so it's put me back a few weeks in terms of end goal but hey, I'm healthy and happy so it doesn't worry me. Also a chance to prove to myself that if I do gain a few pounds I can get it back off. Keep everything in context. ;-)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It's a vacation, meaning a break from the daily grind, and that includes dieting. You don't need to binge eat, but order the stuff that looks good on the menu. Don't count the calories. You'll likely gain a pound or two, but you can just burn that off easy when you get back.