Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Problem with ab exercises

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with doing ab exercises and I wondered if anyone has come across something similar or can help me work around it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Whenever I lie down to do crunches, for example, my back is arched and it's nearly impossible to make it all touch the ground. Whenever I do a set of crunches I then get an ache in my back, which I can only imagine is from the curve. I try to combat this and really force my back down, but it's so hard! Whenever I do a set of ab exercises as part of a class, for example, I just end up working my back and not my abs at all.

Any ideas?

Replies

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited May 2015
    Try posting in the 'Exercise' board, they are really helpful there and your question is more likely to be picked up by people who really know what they are talking about.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Well, you should probably just abandon stomach exercises like the crunch. I think that's one of those exercises that has become passe now that we all know more about fitness. It's not good for your back, and it doesn't really do what people hope it will do.

Getting washboard abs has more to do with reducing your body fat percentage than any exercise you can do.

That's not to say one should neglect the core; on the contrary, it's incredibly important to strengthen your core as it helps with everything you do, including other exercises.

But for core work, I'd suggest other things. Compound lifts like the squat and deadlift, and planks (with all variations) are all effective ways to strengthen your core without compromising your spine... (deadlifts if you lift with correct form).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Well, you should probably just abandon stomach exercises like the crunch. I think that's one of those exercises that has become passe now that we all know more about fitness. It's not good for your back, and it doesn't really do what people hope it will do.

Getting washboard abs has more to do with reducing your body fat percentage than any exercise you can do.

That's not to say one should neglect the core; on the contrary, it's incredibly important to strengthen your core as it helps with everything you do, including other exercises.

But for core work, I'd suggest other things. Compound lifts like the squat and deadlift, and planks (with all variations) are all effective ways to strengthen your core without compromising your spine... (deadlifts if you lift with correct form).

Yes, substitute planks for crunches.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Substitute crunches with an ab workout that is 10x better, deadlitts and squats.

^ This
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Out of all the ab exercises; why would you do crunches.
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Are you familiar with the yoga "plank" position? That is an awesome ab workout. Try doing a tabata: For eight rounds, do twenty seconds of plank followed by 10 seconds of rest. You can get timer apps that include a tabata timer in the app store.

As far as your back goes, your abs and your lower back do a lot to support one another. As another poster mentioned, doing squats and certain lifts can help you learn how to engage your core so that your back and stomach work together rather than one doing the lion's share of the work. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO LIFTS ON YOUR OWN IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER. Take a class or work with a trainer to make sure you have the proper form or you could really hurt yourself.
  • FCFitness75
    FCFitness75 Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Crunches are part of many exercises I do at my fitness classes, I don't JUST do crunches :smile: I just wondered if anyone had any clue about the back issue... My exercise regime is basically comprised of Les Mills classes (body attack, grit plyo, cxworx) an insanity class once a week, and two pole fitness sessions per week, which is essentially lifting your own body weight for the duration. The crunches are part of the cxworx class :) thanks for all your ideas regarding alternative exercises!! I'll try them all out
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    You can try:

- adjusting leg position a bit (in general, the more into your body, the easier it is to achieve a flatter back, because it helps you tilt your pelvis correctly -- think tucking your tailbone, the opposite of arching your back) <-- so for example, if they do "legs in tabletop", bring your knees closer to your face, even though that's not "right", if it protects your back, it's good. If straight leg raises, don't go down very far, and put a slight bend at the knees. If standard crunches, bring your knees in more, or up, or cross one.

- never fully dropping your head and shoulders to the floor (because this releases the contraction, and you have to start a new, solid one with every rep) -- try watching this video, starting around 42 mins in, for some good tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxMPipznh2Y

- going slower than your classmates, more purposeful, *really* solid and focusing on your contraction and your flat back

- placing your hands in a "v" shape under your butt, sort of around your tailbone (experiment to find the right spot for you) (I think this is also shown in the video I linked above)

- if the v doesn't work, experiment with hand position -- as long as you're not pulling on your head, you're fine, and different positions might help you. I often find straight out helps me focus better, I can stop thinking about elbows and such, and I'm basically reaching towards the area I'm thinking about. (If you google image Pilates 100 you'll see what I mean)

You can also try asking your instructor for tips. I would recommend stopping whenever you can't get it right though, don't push through and get an ache in your back. Take a water break or substitute a different exercise. I really don't think anyone will care, and safety comes above anything else.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    I'd just do a different exercise when your instructor gets to the crunches phase of the workout. Go into a plank instead.

Honestly, Google "crunches are bad for you" and see what pops up. I would have thought by now that everyone knew crunches were a horrible exercise for your back. I'm actually really surprised to hear there's an instructor somewhere, ANYWHERE, who thinks this is a good idea, especially when there are so many better alternatives out there.

http://www.thankyourbody.com/do-not-do-crunches/

• LindseyAHicks
    LindseyAHicks Posts: 5 Member
    Hi guys, I'm having a problem with doing ab exercises and I wondered if anyone has come across something similar or can help me work around it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Whenever I lie down to do crunches, for example, my back is arched and it's nearly impossible to make it all touch the ground. Whenever I do a set of crunches I then get an ache in my back, which I can only imagine is from the curve. I try to combat this and really force my back down, but it's so hard! Whenever I do a set of ab exercises as part of a class, for example, I just end up working my back and not my abs at all.

Any ideas?

I understand this issue very much. It has a lot to do with building strength, and is worse in women because of our anatomy. It happens in a lot of ab positions (not just crunches). When you don't have a lot of strength in your abs, your back starts to make up the difference. The stronger you get the more you are able to keep your back to the floor and have a comfortable workout. :)