overweight and pregnant

Options

Replies

• akirkland1026
    akirkland1026 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 5'6 and with my first pregnancy I started out at 146 and went up to 202. I had lost all but 9 pounds when I found out I was pregnant with my second. Currently I'm 180, gained 22 pounds and am 24.5 weeks along. I'm hoping to maintain my weight but I know I will probably gain a lot of water weight towards the end as I did with the first. Walking as much as I can and drinking a lot of water.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I was overweight when I started my second pregnancy. I don't know how much I gained, but I got pretty big. I then lost it all and more and ended up the thinnest I'd been in years. Then I got pregnant with my third, logged and ate at a deficit, and exercised until 38 weeks, and still ended up having to lose nearly the same amount. I'm still losing now and she's just turned 1, although i'm not that far off fitting into my smallest jeans. So go for it, you can lose the weight after.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2". I started my pregnancy at 155 lbs and ended at 190. now I am 159lbs and trying to lose the last 4 and more (goal of 120). I gained rather steadily, so it wasn't so bad and I'm losing realy steady so the pooch is kind of going away nicely. (my son is 15 months so I could have been losing more sooner LOL)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant with baby #4.

I'm 5'7", and with my first child I started out at 180 lbs (so definitely "overweight"), and gained nearly 50 lbs (ended at 228 lbs) - other than being 15 days overdue, there were no complications.

When I started pregnancy #2 (about 2 years later) I was 170 lbs and gained a similar amount of weight, ending up at about 220 lbs. Again, aside from being 14 days late, there were no complications.

When I started pregnancy #3 (another 2 years later) I was 165 lbs and gained about 45 lbs, ending up at 210. Again, 14 days late, but otherwise no complications.

Babies were 8 lbs 4 oz, 9 lbs 2 oz, and 8 lbs 3 oz, respectively.

This time (two years after baby #3 was born) I started out 145 lbs, and so far have put on nearly 40 lbs - I was 183 at my last weight in on Monday. BP is great (110/60), passed my glucose screen, no sugar or protein in my urine, and I feel fantastic (same as my other pregnancies, really. I expect to gain another 10 lbs before all is said and done. It sucks, but I can't seem to "do" pregnancy without gaining in the 50 lb neighborhood. The good news is I have healthy, comfortable pregnancies, with no complications, and straightforward deliveries with healthy babies. My doc isn't concerned (heck, this time my ending weight is closer to my *beginning* weight with the other pregnancies, so that's nice). I eat healthy and am still taking regular exercise (and plan to continue right up to the bitter end).... I will say eating healthy and drinking plenty of water seems to help minimize swelling, and the exercise has helped with back ache and insomnia. I wish I didn't gain so much, but it is, as they say, what it is. Nothing I do seems to make much difference in that dept. I know it will come off after the baby is born! I'd post a pic but I'm a noob and can't figure out how (at least not without a photobucket acct, and I don't want a photobucket acct).
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant with baby #4.

I'm 5'7", and with my first child I started out at 180 lbs (so definitely "overweight"), and gained nearly 50 lbs (ended at 228 lbs) - other than being 15 days overdue, there were no complications.

When I started pregnancy #2 (about 2 years later) I was 170 lbs and gained a similar amount of weight, ending up at about 220 lbs. Again, aside from being 14 days late, there were no complications.

When I started pregnancy #3 (another 2 years later) I was 165 lbs and gained about 45 lbs, ending up at 210. Again, 14 days late, but otherwise no complications.

Babies were 8 lbs 4 oz, 9 lbs 2 oz, and 8 lbs 3 oz, respectively.

This time (two years after baby #3 was born) I started out 145 lbs, and so far have put on nearly 40 lbs - I was 183 at my last weight in on Monday. BP is great (110/60), passed my glucose screen, no sugar or protein in my urine, and I feel fantastic (same as my other pregnancies, really. I expect to gain another 10 lbs before all is said and done. It sucks, but I can't seem to "do" pregnancy without gaining in the 50 lb neighborhood. The good news is I have healthy, comfortable pregnancies, with no complications, and straightforward deliveries with healthy babies. My doc isn't concerned (heck, this time my ending weight is closer to my *beginning* weight with the other pregnancies, so that's nice). I eat healthy and am still taking regular exercise (and plan to continue right up to the bitter end).... I will say eating healthy and drinking plenty of water seems to help minimize swelling, and the exercise has helped with back ache and insomnia. I wish I didn't gain so much, but it is, as they say, what it is. Nothing I do seems to make much difference in that dept. I know it will come off after the baby is born! I'd post a pic but I'm a noob and can't figure out how (at least not without a photobucket acct, and I don't want a photobucket acct).

You sound like me. I always gain in pregnancy no matter what. I also always have overdue babies (10, 12 and 11 days) and have easy pregnancies and labours. I've had 3 natural births, with just gas and air, and I've never needed stitches, and my babies have all been healthy...7lbs13, 8lbs10 and 9lbs1.
  • Mutant_Toad
    Mutant_Toad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm only 10 weeks right now with my second child. I've actually lost a little bit of weight. With my first, I started at 215lbs (I'd lost 10lbs before finding out I was pregnant) and I only gained 10lbs during the pregnancy.

Right now, I'm 254lbs (haven't weighed-in for a few days). My doctor says the weight isn't as important as making sure I am getting all my nutrients and that the baby is growing at a healthy rate. He's told me not to eat for two, because that is misguided. I'm sure I'll gain, but I plan on staying active for as long as possible (ended up on bed rest with my first during the last trimester due to medical issues).
  • mommyofanangelboy
    mommyofanangelboy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    any of ya'll have pics for your overweight pregnancy bumps? I dont want to look "fat", but rather have that nice baby bump, you know? thanks everyone for the replies.
  • mommyofanangelboy
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I was 167 when I got pregnant. I gained 40 pounds. 7 in the last week. I do not recommend this course of action. I don't think I have any pictures of me when I was pregnant but Mama B down below nails my general look.

Slide1%25255B8%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

how tall are you? I am about 8 pounds less..
  • Mutant_Toad
    Mutant_Toad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    any of ya'll have pics for your overweight pregnancy bumps? I dont want to look "fat", but rather have that nice baby bump, you know? thanks everyone for the replies.

I don't have any from this pregnancy, but here is my 32 week from my last one. I was about 220lbs in this:

5bjpqp06lle2.jpg

I didn't feel I looked terribly overweight. Just a lot of belly. No, that was my week 42 picture where I look like a whale (my kid didn't want to come out). No one gets to see that one. :p
  • DawnieB1977
    Options

I don't have any from this pregnancy, but here is my 32 week from my last one. I was about 220lbs in this:

5bjpqp06lle2.jpg

I didn't feel I looked terribly overweight. Just a lot of belly. No, that was my week 42 picture where I look like a whale (my kid didn't want to come out). No one gets to see that one. :p

You look great! And lol, all of mine have been overdue (10, 12, 11 days) so I know the whale feeling!
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    This is me 34 weeks pregnant with my first. I was about 15lbs overweight when I started this pregnancy.
    image.jpg
    upload a gif
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    About 37 weeks with my third. I started this pregnancy at a healthy BMI but I gained way too much:
    image.jpg
    upload image online free
  • DawnieB1977
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And around 36 weeks with my second. I was the biggest this time round.
    100_1435.jpg
    uploadimage

My little boy in this pic was 21 months old. He's in my profile pic, now nearly 6 :)
  • mommyofanangelboy
    Options
    About 37 weeks with my third. I started this pregnancy at a healthy BMI but I gained way too much:
    image.jpg
    upload image online free

how tall are you? :) i appreicate all the pics!
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I'm 5'6.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was overweight when I conceived my second child. Due to nausea, I lost about 10# during the first trimester. My doctor was not overly concerned because I was already overweight by about 30 pounds. Ended up netting about 15 total pounds gained - so 25 pounds total. I did not exercise but spent a lot of time chasing around a toddler.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I didn't take many progression pictures, but here are mine:

bumpprogression.png

Height: 5'5 (small framed though)
    Start weight: 165
    End weight: 179 (41 weeks - 14 lb gain)

My OB was very straight with me about my weight, and at the first appointment told me to buy a scale to help make sure I stayed under 25 lbs. I'm sure there are several ladies who would not have been happy with her methods, but I only gained what was needed (I was back to pre-pregnancy weight a week after birth). My blood pressure went up as I put even that low amount on; I can only imagine the complications a higher weight gain would have caused for me. (Not trying to dissuade you, just sharing my experience of being overweight and pregnant!)

Good luck with your decision. :)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I started my second pregnancy overweight (obese, really), at about 220 lbs. By 15 weeks I'd learned I had gestational diabetes and ate a carb-controlled diet that I put together with a dietician. I tested my blood sugar 4x per day, but through my diet was able to stay off medication. I only gained 5 lbs, gave birth at 225, and went home at 210, weighing less than when I conceived.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    My blood pressure was low in all my pregnancies, even the one where I started off the biggest. 30+ weeks with my third, 2 kids to look after already and working in a stressful job, my BP was still 98/58.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was about 220 with my first pregnancy and gained about 15 pounds. I was about 230 with my second and gained 19 pounds, both babies were healthy.