Well under recommended Intake.

Options
Drake940
Drake940 Posts: 39 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I want to lose about a pound a week but I clicked on 'lose 2 pounds' a week instead. It says I should eat no more than 1500 calories to lose 2 pounds a week. However I've been eating no more than 1200 and still my weight is the same. It goes up and down by 1 pound but nothing else. In surprised because I clicked on lose 2 pounds and I still manage to stay under and yet I lose no weight. I do stregnth training 3 times a week with decent weight and occasionally cardio. I'm always at a caloric deficit yet I lose no weight. Any tips??

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A few questions.

What is your current height/weight/age/gender?

How long have you been eating 'no more than 1200' per day?

How do you determine your portions and what calories they contain? Food scale? Log everything, every day?
  • Drake940
    Options
    A few questions.

What is your current height/weight/age/gender?

How long have you been eating 'no more than 1200' per day?

How do you determine your portions and what calories they contain? Food scale? Log everything, every day?

I use food scales and o still log more than I eat to be sure. I've been eating like this for a month at least.

20 yrs old
    6 ft
    154 pounds
    Male

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You're 6 feet tall and 154lbs? You're already at a very healthy weight for your height. Why do you want to keep losing weight, let alone so much of it?
  • Drake940
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    You're 6 feet tall and 154lbs? You're already at a very healthy weight for your height. Why do you want to keep losing weight, let alone so much of it?

Bmi suggests I'm healthy weight but I've got such a big stomach and chest fat that needs to go. I've got no fat on my shoulders and arms but I have everywhere else.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I ask out of concern for your well being: Is there a reason you want to lose weight? 154 is very lean for a male of your height. Be good to yourself, sweetie.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Holy cow.. I ran your stats at 154 pound, 6'0" and 20 years old..

BMR = 1803
    TDEE = 2164
    To loose approx 2 lbs = 1731
    To loose approx 1 lbs = 1947

This is wrong on so many levels...
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body. I'm an inch shorter than you (and 17 years older) and losing 1.5lb/wk while eating at 2000 calories. If you aren't losing then I suspect something is wrong with your logging or weighing of your food.
  • Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    KasimH1996 wrote: »

Bmi suggests I'm healthy weight but I've got such a big stomach and chest fat that needs to go. I've got no fat on my shoulders and arms but I have everywhere else.

I am 5'5" and at my healthiest I weighed 155 (which is WELL within my BMI scale), I would say that you are gaining muscle as you are exercising which is offsetting the weightloss that you are after. Judging by your stats I would say you are a pretty skinny guy and are bulking up from lifting weights.

• Drake940
    Options
    I don't want to lose a stone. Just half a stone to get rid of my gut. I don't want to be unhealthy so don't worry about that.
  • Nuke807
    Nuke807 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Plus, you are pretty young, and probably still growing into your body. I did not fully fill in until I was 25, then it started going downhill from there...
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i agree, i calculate your BMI to be 21.1 in the lower-middle of the ''ideal'' range which is 146-183lbs.

• goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can't have too much weight to lose for your age and height. 1200 cal seems incredibly low - may even be so low as to cause loss of lean tissue mass. Try eating more. Change to lose a half pound a week and compare the loss under those calories. Is that net or gross calories you give?
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd consider doing recomp instead of trying to lose more weight. Eat close to maintenance and lift heavy, while progressively getting heavier.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    bmorss807 wrote: »
    I am 5'5" and at my healthiest I weighed 155 (which is WELL within my BMI scale), I would say that you are gaining muscle as you are exercising which is offsetting the weightloss that you are after. Judging by your stats I would say you are a pretty skinny guy and are bulking up from lifting weights.

There's no way he's gaining muscle while eating at such a steep deficit. Nuh-uh. Not a chance.

Eat at maintenance, which for you is probably in the neighbourhood of 2700-3000/day. Start a weight lifting program in the gym. That's how you'll get the results you want.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lose a stone. Just half a stone to get rid of my gut. I don't want to be unhealthy so don't worry about that.

Have you looked into strength training at all? A lot of times when you're at a healthy weight, lifting weights can give you the more toned look you're going for better than losing pounds. You can lose inches while eating a reasonable amount of food (1200 isn't enough for really any male. 1200 is the low-end benchmark for short women). You may not lose weight, but if you're putting in the work and eating at about maintenance, you'll probably see the results you're looking for.
  • bfischer76
    bfischer76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It could be that you're not taking in enough calories and your metabolism has slowed as a result. I agree with everyone else, don't do it by starving yourself. I suggest trying to hit the 1500 "net calories" and getting your nutrition in if you're working out on top of everything.
  • Drake940
    Options
    Ok. Taking into account everything you said I'll start to eat more. I can eat up to 4000 Cals if I had to but 1200 seems right as I don't feel hungry. My main aim was to lose chest and belly fat so I thought I'll lose half a stone and that would help.
  • cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel your body. I'm an inch shorter than you (and 17 years older) and losing 1.5lb/wk while eating at 2000 calories. If you aren't losing then I suspect something is wrong with your logging or weighing of your food.

Completely second this. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day your body might actually be in shock. Try and eat at the recommended amount for a few months which might make your body relax and start working better. You could be doing a lot of damage that isn't obvious with eating so little at your height, weight and age.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Either we are dealing with someone that has a thick skull and wont' listen or a troll...I'm leaning towards a troll at this point.
  • Drake940
    Options
    I'm no troll. 1200 Cals seem normal. Look at what I'm eating and tell me if I'm logging wrong.
    Breakfast. 2 boiled eggs with tea.
    Lunch : medium sized grilled chicken wrap
    Snack : banana
    Diner: nothing more than 400 calories usually.