eating back exercise calories

Options
Yep, another one of these. So for nearly two months, ever since I started using MFP, I've been staying right around 1200 calories per day regardless of exercise, and lost about fifteen pounds at a healthy rate, and felt healthy and not tired (unless I didn't get enough sleep). I averaged about two pounds per week. The last few days though, I started eating back some of my exercise calories (right around 1500-1550). Today was my weigh in, and I've only lost a pound since last week (.08 lb, if I'm being honest with myself and not rounding down). Does it take a while for the body to readjust to the new caloric intake? Or was I maybe just beginning to go into the dreaded starvation mode, and now that I'm eating more my body is holding onto it?

I hope to see more of a loss next week, though if everything is on schedule, it will be my TOM at next weigh in, so I might have to wait a couple weeks. :(

Oh, and I may be gaining muscle (I can certainly feel it, especially in my legs) but my measurements haven't changed much since last week either.

Replies

• nennajames
    nennajames Posts: 10
    Options
    I am no expert - and I hope some experts will weight in b/c I have similar questions - but my instinct says that eating back the exercise calories does slow you down. It's just not the one to one trade off that we wish. I find that I really have to stick to the 1200 and that exercising basically helps me stay mentally strong AND covers me for maybe another 150 or 200 at the most. I also find that it takes my body about a month to show the slimness of exercise - I gain winter weight every year and take it off - and I always hate how long it takes once I start exercising again - but then blammo! my body drops a size almost overnight. It must be metabolic. Really curious what others know/think...
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    I think you should not eat your calories back ;)
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    I wanna start by saying this my OPINION. People on here were telling me that I wasn't eating enough and that I should eat my exercise calories. Well, when I was easting less and exercising ( but not eating my exercise cals I was losing a lot. Just so people would shut up I started eating more and my exercise cals and exercised more. Now I keep gaining! So tomorrow I'm going back to my original plan. My advice is don't eat your exercise calories. And just stay within 1200. But do what works for you:)
    Kim
  • amyakj
    amyakj Posts: 21
    Options
    i have been eating my exc. calories and i am finding that i am not losing weight now. i think i am just going to go back to not eating them. It is nice to have them as a cushion just in case tho so i think that is what i am just going to keep them as.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat about half my exercise calories back... sometimes more. I have MFP set up to keep me on track to lose 1/2 lb a week. But, in reality I lost an average of 2 pounds a week over my first 5 weeks. I'm now only weighing in once a month, so it will be a while before I weigh in again, but my clothes are looser and people are commenting that I look thinner. I fully expect more good numbers at my next weigh-in.

I guess every person is different, but eating my exercise calories makes this process easier and more sustainable. I've lost weight before by eating 800-1200 calories, but I've never kept it off over the long haul. I do much better eating normally, getting plenty of exercise and not doing anything too austere/limiting.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have been eating most of my exercise cals back for the last month and haven't lost a thing.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The whole purpose of exercise is to assist in fat burning and weight loss. As long as my energy levels are good there is no reason to eat those extra calories that some on MFP try to sell you to do. Your body will let you know if you don't have the energy stores to complete whatever daily activities you do. Professional athletes that are less then 5% body fat have to carbo load as they have no energy stores to consume from fat. Some marathon runners pull a 10000+ calorie load prior to a race So they will have enough energy to complete the race. Listen to your body. It will tell you when it needs fuel. Give it the good stuff.
  • nennajames
    nennajames Posts: 10
    Options
    The links are incredibly helpful. THANK YOU