30DS causing knee pain

Options
mehmig
mehmig Posts: 55 Member
i am on day 9 of the 30 DS and my left knee hurts pretty bad. I got a brace for it when working out, but when I'm not working out it hurts bad enough that I'm limping. Any ideas for how to handle. I don't want to stop working out because it will derail me, I'm sure of it. But I also don't want to get injured. Ideas?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I find that with the 30DS. I have actually stopped doing it for now, and am doing other things, like circuits classes, as I don't think it is good for me if it's causing knee pain.
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I had the same problem..think it was the jumping jacks. So I do what I can with like toe touches instead. I'm thinking about trying some glucosamin and se if that helps . (however it's spelled) Good luck...just keep moving. Add me if you would like.
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started doing the 30DS. At first I was not wearing shoes, and then started wearing them, and that helped a bit. I just took Advil every 6 hours and that helped with the pain. I kept doing the 30 DS (maybe a little lighter on my feet), and it eventually went away. The Advil pretty much got rid of the pain.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Same, so I often marched or jogged on the spot instead of jumping jacks or jump rope. But I like doing the abs and strength so kept going. Now on level 2 and its now the shoulders. So will take rest days when I need too.
  • koondoggie_99
    Options
    I have found that I don't do anything that is strenuous on my knees until my weight is down. I have had problems with my knees and hips by doing to much too soon. I do feel as though I am not doing enough at times but it will come..I have to keep reminding myself of that. I will not even try to jog until i am under 200. Good luck!:wink:
  • megansmom311
    megansmom311 Posts: 168
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, and I'm pretty sure it's the jumping jacks on level one that are doing it. I think I'm going to start jogging in place instead and see if it makes a difference. :smile:
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    How are you doing your push ups? I was doing them on my knees and had major knee problems. I quit 30DS for about 2 weeks to get the knees better, and started with level 2 instead of level 1- also I am running daily with no knee issues as of now!
  • tracielyn59
    Options
    I was having issues with my left knee as well. I purchased the brace that supports the knee cap and that helped. It is not a whole brace but the one that I have seen basketball players wear that looks like a band. Found mine at wal*mart. I was jogging and walking and would ice after doing so. I also saw my chiropractor and he adjusted my knee and no more pain.
  • vpsmith14
    vpsmith14 Posts: 71
    Options
    Same thing here too. I began doing Jillian's workouts over 3 months ago and for at least 6 weeks of that time my knees were killing me. Both of them. I was a member of her online program until last week and I posted there about it and got some great insight. I tried the braces and ice. I was told pretty much 2 things. One, that the body is trying to tell me something and it is time to back off. And two, that it's basically part of the whole game and it will pass. Well, long story short. I cut back on the squats and lunges, plyometrics, etc. Instead of doing the cardio section I would jump on my treadmill instead for the allotted cardio time. I did that for a week or two and now it's been nearly 4 months into strength/circuit training and my knees indeed have worked past it. Doing well now. For me, it was a result of too much too soon too fast!! But of course it's different for everyone. My knee pain and yours could be for totally different reasons. This is just my experience. I've done nothing but cardio my whole life and never a knee pain until I began circuit training. So I knew it was related.

Tricia
  • kml07071
    kml07071 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knees and every night i got to bed and wake up in stiff pain and i think it is from the jumping jacks and jumprope with the impact on my knees. Try and see which activity it is for you that causes the pain more than others and improvise for that one. Make sure you stretch before to loosen the joints up.
  • mehmig
    mehmig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it is the jumping jacks. I've cut them out and do jumprope or butt kicks in place. I'll try the advil and see if I can work through this.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started doing the 30DS. At first I was not wearing shoes, and then started wearing them, and that helped a bit.

Me too! I love being able to work out barefoot at home, but it was really taking its toll on my joints, particularly the jump squats and rock star jumps. It's improved since I started wearing shoes again. My left knee is still giving me a bit of trouble, but not pain so much as discomfort. I broke it when I was little, so I think it's to do with that as well, because my right knee is fine.