water intake

Options
daisyq73
daisyq73 Posts: 9 Member
I have a question. Everywhere I read you should drink water, how much water, it is good for you...etc.
I understand the health reasons...our bodies need water, but does drinking plenty of water actually helps to lose weight? This does not make sense to me.
Or is it only to replace fluids that might be lost due to dieting and extra exercise?
Just curious, maybe somebody can explain to me.
Daisy

Replies

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It absolutely CAN HELP with weight loss, but I wouldn't say it is directly correlated. Number one, drinking water can be filling. Often times we may feel hungry, or thirsty, and water could do the trick to hold us over. Additionally, some studies suggest that the energy expended to heat the water up after consumption results in a few calories burnt. Lastly, water helps with food digestion. Although it may not have a huge direct effect (the calories burned heating water is very minimal), indirectly it could be massive. If we eat everytime our brain triggers hunger, vs. drink some water, we're consuming more calories. If we drink other fluids (often high in calories) we're adding more calories. Drinking water can dramatically reduce the amount of unnecessary calories we consume - but does it actually speed up our metabolism? Studies aren't conclusive.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You do not loose weight drinking water. Can drinking a really cold glass of water spark your metabolism? Who knows that question.. I drink water to stay hydrated. I also try to keep electrolytes and sodium in check.. Water retention is possible if you are not careful to drink enough and stay balance.

There are a lot of "water calculators" that you can put in your stats in such as http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    0.5-1.0 oz of water for every lb you weigh is the generally accepted range. So a 100lbs person would drink from 50oz -100oz daily, with exercise and activity being a primary variable. Also consider that water intake includes all sources, such as food. Drinking water aids in waste removal.

One of the finest field surgeons I worked with swore by "your urine should be gin clear" which is a good indicator for the general population.

• daisyq73
    daisyq73 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that took time to answer me

Daisy
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It will help most in 2 ways:

If you use it to replace higher calorie beverages because it's less calories.
    If it helps take the edge off hunger.

As noted above, it also aids in digestion, which is not exactly a weight loss tool, but it a good thing.
    The warming thing is not myth, but is not exactly a weight loss tool. I read once that if you drank the recommended eight 8 oz glasses of water per day, and made them all ice water, over the course of a year you would burn enough extra calories (vs. room temp water) to lose < 1 pound of weight.
    Drinking plenty of fluids can also help get rid of water weight (bloat)
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When you see all the foolish body cleansing formulas on the Internet they all come down to the one main ingredient which is all you really need WATER!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    just stay hydrated...when you are properly hydrated, your urine will always be pale yellow to clear.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

When you see all the foolish body cleansing formulas on the Internet they all come down to the one main ingredient which is all you really need WATER!

just wanted to reinforce this... lol.
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I don't drin k at least 8 cups of water a day the scale will be up about 2 lbs the next day. Staying properly hydrated keeps your body from retaining water. Also when I don't drink water I overeat. So I believe for myself that water is the key to losing weight.