Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Options
I am having a very hard time getting motivated for exercises. It's a little more hard for me since I passed away from an asthma attack. Luckily I was able to be brought back now I have a syndrome that I never thought I would even get to this point where I'd be able to exercise. I have problems with a lot of the exercises due to the balancing if anybody knows of some very effective exercise to tone, be able to put muscle where it jiggles & to get rid of some cellulite on the back of my legs "from being bedridden for so long". I would appreciate the feedback tremendously, any at all would be wonderful. I am a fighter so I'll fight to get back in shape. I just don't know how to go about it. Thank you to anybody who may be able to help

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm so happy that you are well now.that must've been very scary for you!
    Anyway, since you have some medical issues, I think it's best if you ask your doctor which exercises are going to be best. I would hate to give advice that could possibly cause you any harm.
    But to decrease your overall body fat, you can eat at deficit to lose weight. All you need to do is eat at a deficit. Weigh everything you consume with a food scale to be as accurate as possible. But first ask your doctor and make sure this is okay.
    If your doctor does allow some exercise, I think strength training would be a good idea for you.
    Hope you continue to be well! Best of luck
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that's scary. Definitely agree that your doctor should be involved in deciding what activity level is safe for you. Something like yoga might be a good choice though - low impact but can help strengthen muscles. You can lose weight by logging your food and ensuring you're eating at a deficit.
    Wishing you good health!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Exercise induced asthma attacks can occur, talk to your physician. There are various ways to manage and reduce risk. Strength training can probably help you achieve your goals - with support from your doctor - start slow, practice in a well ventilated, cool place, drink water before and during, keep your acute treatment at hand.
  • rajko85
    rajko85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just exercise. Join a group program and just go. Even when you don't feel like it, go. Getting there is half the battle. Doing group exercise will be easier coz you'll have people to motivate you if you can't do it yourself
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    rajko85 wrote: »
    Just exercise. Join a group program and just go. Even when you don't feel like it, go. Getting there is half the battle. Doing group exercise will be easier coz you'll have people to motivate you if you can't do it yourself

Plus they can call the emergency services when you die...again.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

worst advice ever. :noway:

op talk to your doctor - no-one here can truly give you safe advice.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I second worst advice ever. Did you even read the OP?

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    My son has asthma and plays football. He hasn't had an attack in over a year. Last one wasn't too bad and he didn't need to be admitted to hospital. I've had asthma as a child and haven't had an attack since I was 9. Although I get bad chest infections when I don't treat a cold fast. My breathing has improved since I started exercising. Go for walks, jog or run and do low impact workouts while building your strength and lung capacity up. Take your time and enjoy every second. Add me if you like but please include message so I know who you are.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    My son has asthma and plays football. He hasn't had an attack in over a year. Last one wasn't too bad and he didn't need to be admitted to hospital. I've had asthma as a child and haven't had an attack since I was 9. Although I get bad chest infections when I don't treat a cold fast. My breathing has improved since I started exercising. Go for walks, jog or run and do low impact workouts while building your strength and lung capacity up. Take your time and enjoy every second. Add me if you like but please include message so I know who you are.

Only do this if your doctor agrees.

I have asthma - I have never died and been brought back from it. No-one here is qualified to give advice. Esp since she mentions a syndrome that she now has - but doesn't name.

please just talk to your doctor.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OP,

Consult your doctor. This question is not appropriate for strangers on the internet. We are not medically equipped to advise you.

Before you engage in any type of exercise, get clearance from your physician.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely start out slowly, take it easy, and don't push yourself until you know your limit. Walking and yoga might be good activities for you (and there's lots of suggestions for how to modify yoga if certain poses are too difficult due to balance issues or flexibility issues). But talk to your doctor. And ask if maybe your health insurance will cover some physical therapy or something like that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

:indifferent:

Seriously. Read things before responding.

And OP, don't ask strangers on the internet. You need to work with your doctor and a physical therapist. People who fully know your medical history and can monitor you in case something happens.
  • mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma and a heart condition. No one can tell you what is right for you but a doctor and a true qualified physical therapist. I got full clearances on what I could and could not do. Then I joined a high end gym that had physical therapists and trainers that were trained in medical issues. They wrote a plan for me. I cleared that plan with my doctor. I work out in a group with a trainer who knows my history and is, among other qualifications, an EMT! The room has both O2 and a defibrillator in it. None of this is cheap. But insurance does cover quite a bit of it. I'm in much better shape after only four months. And I feel tons better than I did. Fear was the biggest problem. But don't be nonchalant about your issues. Take the appropriate steps to get solid medical advice and get solid help from professionals. Good luck!