Weight creeping up

I've maintained at 1300cal + Fitbit cal last year but at the beginning of the year I decided that I could be more adventurous and upped my cal to 1400cal+ Fitbit cal but my weight creeped up so I lowered my cal back to 1200cal + Fitbit cal but my weight is still creeping up now. What is wrong?! My diet had changed a bit. When I was maintaining last year are a lot pork tenderloin however this year I've begun to eat pork Boston butt. Does it has got to do with my weight creeping up?? Please help! I want to lose the weight I've gained.

Replies

• spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    The only way the pork should matter is if you're not weighing it/not properly figuring its calories. As far as your weight creeping up, start by making sure your calories are all entirely accurate - weigh/measure everything! - and go from there in terms of finding the sweet spot between losing and gaining. Spend enough time at each interval (1300, 1400, etc) to make sure it's a real loss/gain or maintenance, not just daily weight fluctuation. You'll get there. Good luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    If you're logging and weighing it properly, the higher fat in Boston butt shouldn't matter, although tenderloin is much leaner.

My weight will creep up if my carbs are over 50%, no matter what my calories. I also find that when my weight starts creeping up, I need to recheck my portion sizes and make sure I log all those little things - the bite of cookie dough, the drip of mayo, the butter on the potatoes . . . Those can add a couple hundred calories to my day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    And the question is... do you own a food scale? If you are not, you can be eating more than you think... Are you weighing that Boston Butt and the rest of your food?

And I am going to presume that your fitbit calories are just steps? If so this is fine, but the next question will be ... do you log your exercise manually into Fitbit? I have a fitbit as well.. I have downloaded my data and analyzed it and when you enter your exercise calories manually (when getting your calorie burn from a machine computer or even a heart rate monitor) it can be off as much as 20 to 30 %.. And again if this is a true statement, you could be eating back more exercise calories then you need to.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    If your food diary is accurate, I doubt the pork is the problem. You're eating enough starchy carbohydrates to fuel a marathon runner--anywhere from 250g to 400g a day of Japanese sweet potatoes, rice, corn, bread, and pasta. If you aren't doing a couple of hours of intense exercise daily, your body may not be able to handle that much starch.

Ten thousand grams (!) of sodium every day probably isn't good for you, either.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Just guessing, I would say that FitBit is giving you too many calories, because there is no reason for you not to lose weight eating at 1200.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    you are either eating too much or overestimating calorie burns....

try just eating back half of what fitbit gives you ...
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    You are eating more calories than you are burning. That's all it comes down to.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    spat095 wrote: »
    The only way the pork should matter is if you're not weighing it/not properly figuring its calories. As far as your weight creeping up, start by making sure your calories are all entirely accurate - weigh/measure everything! - and go from there in terms of finding the sweet spot between losing and gaining. Spend enough time at each interval (1300, 1400, etc) to make sure it's a real loss/gain or maintenance, not just daily weight fluctuation. You'll get there. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm weight everything I put into my mouth tho...
  • Wingg_
    nxd10 wrote: »
    If you're logging and weighing it properly, the higher fat in Boston butt shouldn't matter, although tenderloin is much leaner.

My weight will creep up if my carbs are over 50%, no matter what my calories. I also find that when my weight starts creeping up, I need to recheck my portion sizes and make sure I log all those little things - the bite of cookie dough, the drip of mayo, the butter on the potatoes . . . Those can add a couple hundred calories to my day.

Maybe I shall lower my carb intake then! I rarely eat good without logging it...
  • Wingg_
    gia07 wrote: »
    And the question is... do you own a food scale? If you are not, you can be eating more than you think... Are you weighing that Boston Butt and the rest of your food?

And I am going to presume that your fitbit calories are just steps? If so this is fine, but the next question will be ... do you log your exercise manually into Fitbit? I have a fitbit as well.. I have downloaded my data and analyzed it and when you enter your exercise calories manually (when getting your calorie burn from a machine computer or even a heart rate monitor) it can be off as much as 20 to 30 %.. And again if this is a true statement, you could be eating back more exercise calories then you need to.

I do not manually enter exercise into Fitbit however for the past 2 weeks I've added swimming calories into MFP once a week. I do own a digital good scale so I'll weight my food.
  • Wingg_
    If your food diary is accurate, I doubt the pork is the problem. You're eating enough starchy carbohydrates to fuel a marathon runner--anywhere from 250g to 400g a day of Japanese sweet potatoes, rice, corn, bread, and pasta. If you aren't doing a couple of hours of intense exercise daily, your body may not be able to handle that much starch.

Ten thousand grams (!) of sodium every day probably isn't good for you, either.

I'm walking a couple of hours per day. Maybe I'll lower my carb intake and see how it goes and sodium too. Thanks for the info
  • Wingg_
    Just guessing, I would say that FitBit is giving you too many calories, because there is no reason for you not to lose weight eating at 1200.

When I was maintaining last year, I ate back all my Fitbit calories so I'm confused now...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    nxd10 wrote: »

Maybe I shall lower my carb intake then! I rarely eat good without logging it...

Carbs have nothing to do with it...you are either in a deficit of calories or not
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Looking at your diary, you need to double-check the nutritional information for the things you eat. Many of the entries in the MFP database are inaccurate, incomplete, or even just different depending upon your location.

For instance, EGO - Fo Shou Guo preserved fruit 佛手果, 60 g is showing as 15 calories and 7 carbs. Just the 7 carbs would be 28 calories since there are 4 calories per gram of carbs.

Your diary can only be as accurate as the info you put into it.
  • Wingg_
    seska422 wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, you need to double-check the nutritional information for the things you eat. Many of the entries in the MFP database are inaccurate, incomplete, or even just different depending upon your location.

For instance, EGO - Fo Shou Guo preserved fruit 佛手果, 60 g is showing as 15 calories and 7 carbs. Just the 7 carbs would be 28 calories since there are 4 calories per gram of carbs.

Your diary can only be as accurate as the info you put into it.

That food is the only inaccurate one I guess. I better stop eating that since it is high in sodium as well. Thanks for pointing it out. However, I was eating it last year while I maintained at the point of time that food was logged at lower calories. I was the one whom increased its cal for the nutrition info this year
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    I've maintained at 1300cal + Fitbit cal last year but at the beginning of the year I decided that I could be more adventurous and upped my cal to 1400cal+ Fitbit cal but my weight creeped up so I lowered my cal back to 1200cal + Fitbit cal but my weight is still creeping up now. What is wrong?!

Read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Log exercise in Fitbit, never MFP. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users