I am sooo lost

Options
kelseyfern00
kelseyfern00 Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2015 in Getting Started
I have no idea how many calories I should be setting myself at to lose at least 1 lb a week. Either 1200 or 1400? My activity level consists right now of 12 hour shifts 4 days a week, I am a dialysis tech, im on my feet at least 10 or 11 of those hours running around. You could say we are like nurses. I just have no idea how many calories I should be eating to successfully lose weight! Help??

Replies

• StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you input your details into the app then set what goal you want it should work it out for you, it's usually pretty close
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First of all: welcome to MFP, then!

My suggestion in this case would be to set your goal at 1400 and see how it feels. See how you do.

And if your days off are more sedentary than your working days (which it sounds like they are), do different goals on the different days.

I imagine that if I worked 3 days a week as an accountant and 3 days a week as a bike courier, I'd have different nutrient needs for my two different jobs.

So, set up the system for one, but in your own head do it differently when you're not working.

See how that goes for a few weeks, and if you're not getting anywhere or you constantly feel hungry or something else is wrong, then tweak it.

That's what I would do with what you've described. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!
  • kelseyfern00
    kelseyfern00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My weight has been maintaining itself with 1400, if I go any lower its 1200 and that seems so low :/
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    My weight has been maintaining itself with 1400, if I go any lower its 1200 and that seems so low :/

You can manually adjust it so you drop to 1300 cal.

And 1200 cal isn't that low. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but it is also a motivation to exercise more! You can eat back about half your exercise calories.