I work in a medical office and want to x-ray my head.

Options

Replies

• shannonbrown0421
    shannonbrown0421 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do x-rays here at the office and the doctor has always told patients that a set of x-rays is equal to smoking half of a cigarette as far as any damage goes, can't be that bad!
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    I do x-rays here at the office and the doctor has always told patients that a set of x-rays is equal to smoking half of a cigarette as far as any damage goes, can't be that bad!

depends which half of the cigarette. jk
  • shannonbrown0421
    Options

depends which half of the cigarette. jk

lol the good part
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I think it would be cool....but then why do they put that heavy lead shirt on you at the dentist when you're getting an x-ray of your teeth, if the radiation is not that high?
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

Which means I used to get about 40 sets of X-rays every day not too many years ago. That would've been a completely new perspective for younger me. :confused:
  • shannonbrown0421
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    I think it would be cool....but then why do they put that heavy lead shirt on you at the dentist when you're getting an x-ray of your teeth, if the radiation is not that high?

Here at our office we offer the lead vest mostly for young people who are fertile? I don't know, 98% of patients never use one when asked.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MilicaX wrote: »
    My dad works with x-rays to investigate metal and welded objects and I went with him one day for his work and he used the x-ray on a metal object but told me to stay behind him and the device because of the radiation.. I don't know the difference between the medical and industrial x-ray stuff but I wouldn't risk doing that if I were you :o

Is your dad made out of lead?
  • vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    good to know that my sperm count should be high.....oh wait- you said YOUNG people...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    As an xray tech I can tell you that you get about the same amount of radiation eating bananas, sleeping next to someone for 3 nights, or standing in the sun for 10 minutes. The dose is super low with normal xrays. It's no big deal. Now if you go with a CT of your head and do a 3D reconstruction your looking at about the equivalent of around 355 normal xrays. It's a super high dose concentrated. But still ok. And they look awesome. Lol. Only time we worry about doses is when patients have multiple CTs within a couple days. You'll start to see redness on the skin which is essentially burns (SED). We as techs do silly shots all the time. Especially on night shift. >:)

You're right that the dose isn't that high. My company (and the FDA) are very scrupulous about extra exposure and do all that we can to follow ALARA. Including avoiding any intentional exposure.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »

Dental xrays are used have an extremely low KVP usage so it gets absorbed easily. I'm not going to give a physics lecture here, but regular xrays are not harmful. You receive the equivalent to a regular xray from your daily activities. Now I follow ALARA as well, and if OSHA is concerned we never radiate for no reason. Lol. I know regulations and laws, but you can't sit here and tell me that one skull shot is going to affect this woman in any way.
  • shannonbrown0421
    Options
    good to know that my sperm count should be high.....oh wait- you said YOUNG people...

Lol yes nobody cares about old sperms I guess
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    go for it and post pics of it on here?
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Even though the exposure at the time is minuscule and you'd get more radiation from being outside, it's the fact that you do x-rays for patients on a daily basis. I don't think the one would hurt you, but if you need to do it over and over again to get the perfect shot for your art, maybe reconsider. Would you be doing a ceph? I wouldn't wear earrings because you could get ghost images.

As someone who also takes x-rays regularly for work, I just firmly believe in not abusing the equipment that's meant for diagnostic reasons and for the patients. I understand if you want to play around to get to know the equipment better or figure out why you might be getting poor shots, but remember that you are still in a professional field and should treat it as such.
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    do it
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Even though the exposure at the time is minuscule and you'd get more radiation from being outside, it's the fact that you do x-rays for patients on a daily basis. I don't think the one would hurt you, but if you need to do it over and over again to get the perfect shot for your art, maybe reconsider. Would you be doing a ceph? I wouldn't wear earrings because you could get ghost images.

As someone who also takes x-rays regularly for work, I just firmly believe in not abusing the equipment that's meant for diagnostic reasons and for the patients. I understand if you want to play around to get to know the equipment better or figure out why you might be getting poor shots, but remember that you are still in a professional field and should treat it as such.

I bet you're so fun to work with!! :trollface:

• Beast4242
    Beast4242 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would do it if I was you. Why not, seems like it is low enough risk and you got to enjoy life...even us professionals.
  • shannonbrown0421
    Options
    When the opportunity arises I will go for it :) art is my passion and I think it will be a treasured piece that I can pass down for generations
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I wonder if OP is still employed at this time.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    If it happened...it should be her profile pic. Can we get an update?!