Plateaus on squats?!

Options
sb_fit_
sb_fit_ Posts: 13 Member
if you hit a plateau on squats. Try one of these
1. Drop the weight and do more reps and sets.
2. Do box squats.
3. Use resistance bands on your squats.
4. Do negative squats.
5. Take a break from squats.
6. Do more hip thrusts.
there are many other ways to surpass a plateau on squats, these are just a few. Hope this can help!!

Replies

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Another issue that I personally ran into was poor form. I've done squats for years, but when I asked my trainer to watch me he pointed out several things I was doing wrong. I know that this was keeping me from preforming my best.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed today. I'm doing stronglifts 5x5. I have a shoulder injury so have to do front squats. I'm pretty much maxed out at 37.5kg. I've decided to just stay at that weight for a couple of weeks and get comfy with my form at that weight then push for the 40kg. I'm close to being able to get the bar on my back but I suspect I'll have to start from scratch.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I'm doing stronglifts right now and I'm worried I'm going to stall in the next month. I'll try to remember these when the time comes.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,129 Member
    Options
    When I worked my way up to a 315 squat, I dropped the weight to 225 and did a ton of reps for a couple months. (As in sets of 12-15 with the occasional set of 20, goal of 50+ reps per workout.)

When I tested my 1RM at the end of those months, even without lifting as heavy as possible, I added 50# to my squat, up to 365.

Now that my 1RM is at 475 with difficulty, I'm doing a lot of work at 315-365, hoping to push past 500 without actually working that high.
  • cathydprice7
    cathydprice7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It helps to swing arms down and through. Both down and up. Helps keep form
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is just what I needed today. I'm doing stronglifts 5x5. I have a shoulder injury so have to do front squats. I'm pretty much maxed out at 37.5kg. I've decided to just stay at that weight for a couple of weeks and get comfy with my form at that weight then push for the 40kg. I'm close to being able to get the bar on my back but I suspect I'll have to start from scratch.

I had to quote myself as it's too late to edit. I front squat 47.5kg, (104lb) not 37.5! I know it doesn't matter but it took a lot of work to get there so I don't want to sell myself short!
  • silver_inca
    silver_inca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    incorporating good mornings squats will help strengthen your hamstrings and lower back, and will really help yur squats:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkNcc0BQrpA&index=3&list=FLKt0R1G-1bQ-B85mOBNK3bg
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    Another issue that I personally ran into was poor form. I've done squats for years, but when I asked my trainer to watch me he pointed out several things I was doing wrong. I know that this was keeping me from preforming my best.

Sort of related - I knew I wasn't supposed to be lifting in my running shoes, but I kept forgetting every time I went to the gym. Earlier this week I FINALLY remembered. I did one set of squats with my shoes on, and then "Oh, yeah!" I took them off and did the other four sets in my socks - I was amazed at the difference. I felt much more in control of the movement.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Pause reps.

I love to throw in some 225s with a good 3-5 second pause at the bottom every now and then. Or even lighter weights. My 1RM is around the 335-345 pound range currently.
  • luis702702
    luis702702 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I like this thread :)