Protein powder

aly25_
aly25_ Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently saw that certain protein can help to lose body fat and burn more calories . But somebody told me it makes you gain weight. Can someone help me with this topic? I'm a newbie at all this so anything helps

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Bump good question op
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Eating at a calorie deficit makes you lose weight.

Protein is not a magic diet pill. Nothing is.

Kind regards.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I read here once that whey protein makes you, umm, pass gas. I haven't done it since.
  • aly25_
    I understand nothing is a diet pill, I'm only questioning whether or not it helps with the process
  • atypicalsmith
    If it helps you cut calories, it will help. If not, it won't.
  • annakadabra_
    annakadabra_ Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2015
    Naturally, it all comes down to your calories - certain protein powder have more or less calories than others. Choosing a protein powder that has less calories with sufficient protein might help you stay at the appropriate deficit. Or you can choose a powder with more calories (perhaps more sugar/flavour/carbs/what have you) and treat it as a meal replacement or possibly mix it with water instead of dairy/nut milk. Whatever works best for you!

Personally, I used many, but currently prefer Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein (usually with almond milk) because I like the taste and it fits easily in my macros and calorie quota. Other protein powders can be marketed as "lean protein powder" because of fat burners and/or less carbs, among other things (that I don't know much about). There's so many to choose from. I'm sure those more knowledgeable in this topic than I can suggest some good brands if you're interested :)
  • ashrinkingqueen
    ashrinkingqueen Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2015
    I use a little protein powder in my morning shakes, but I'm also eating low carb/primal. Meaning I'm not eating most grains or bread, so I use the protein to make sure I'm getting enough protein in a day! I think it depends on what sort of eating you're doing? I use the lean protein powder by GNC and I haven't had any issues with it!
  • aly25_
    @annakadabra_ anything helps and I'm open to your suggestions! I bought he whey protein today! I'm regretting it a bit because I wish I would ave bought the gnc lean protein but I will have to work with this for now
  • aly25_
    @ashrinkingqueen I'm using the whey vanilla protein! Do you suggest I cut calories down since I'm using this then?
  • annakadabra_
    annakadabra_ Posts: 29 Member
    @aly25_ Give your whey a try! It might do the trick to help you feeling satiated and reach your protein goals for the day :smiley:
  • atypicalsmith
    I've heard that whey protein makes you pass gas a lot.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    I plateaued for about a month for a while there. I was weighing everything and exercising daily. I went to see a dietitian who told me that he often sees people that have had surgery for their obesity and they plateau and he tells them to up their protein intake. I didn't have much respect for a lot of the other things he said but this interested me and I started using protein powder. Now it may have been coincidence, but I started losing again. It worked for me. I wouldn't say it is a "magic pill" but if you have the money give it a go.
  • slimmingmachine
    slimmingmachine Posts: 5 Member
    I sometimes take diet whey protein powder and it has never caused me any issues with gas. Possibly depends on the make though. It does however make a difference with my appetite and makes me less hungry for very few calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    aly25_ wrote: »
    I recently saw that certain protein can help to lose body fat and burn more calories . But somebody told me it makes you gain weight. Can someone help me with this topic? I'm a newbie at all this so anything helps

No it can't - gaining / losing weight is about calorie consumption

Protein is a macro you should hit as a minimum (0.64g - 0.82g P per lb bodyweight) to help with muscle repair and Proteins are essential nutrients amino acids for the human body. They are one of the building blocks of body tissue and help with muscle repair (see weight training) and can also serve as a fuel source

it is not a diet aid, it's a nutrition requirement

some say protein is more satieting - it can be

Just eat adequate protein within your calorie defecit