Caloric Deficit Cheat Sheet

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Hello, lovely MFP people. This is my first thread, so please be kind. :)

I discovered this article about a month ago, and it seems incredibly practical and sensible.

It's James Fell's "The Caloric Deficit Cheat Sheet".

http://www.bodyforwife.com/the-caloric-deficit-cheat-sheet/

I've read it numerous times since I first saw it, and think it's a pretty good summary of sane weight-loss.

But I'm relatively new to calorie-counting, so I'd like it if other, more experienced MFP folk gave it a read and critiqued it.

I'm open to hearing any criticisms you make.

Thank you.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I discovered this article about a month ago, and it seems incredibly practical and sensible.

I've read it numerous times since I first saw it, and think it's a pretty good summary of sane weight-loss.

But I'm relatively new to calorie-counting, so I'd like it if other, more experienced MFP folk gave it a read and critiqued it.

Thank you.

laughssssss

(haven't even read link yet)

:wink:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I think you might live :bigsmile:

.. I take exception to his meal timing / place of eating style dictatorial stance, I feel this is irrelevant but on skim reading he makes good points

he could almost be a regular MFPer tbh

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    But it's Friday in the US now right? It's mandatory that we be mean :p.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Thank you.

It's pretty good - there are minor points I don't agree with but tested and found worthy.
    WB 8/10

His argument against calorie counting or macro counting is weak, but he has a lot of reasonable advice.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    But it's Friday in the US now right? It's mandatory that we be mean :p.

itsoctoberthird.jpg?w=300&h=169
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Lifters are more concerned about nutrition than runners are. Often, runners will use their activity as an excuse to eat and drink
    Holy Genralisation Batman!!!!!!!!!
  • tanklifetj
    tanklifetj Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Not really a cheat sheet, more of a list of healthy eating idioms and general tips. Most of them are decent, but they are not focused and a bit broad to be of use for anything more than just "decent advice".
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Lifters are more concerned about nutrition than runners are. Often, runners will use their activity as an excuse to eat and drink

Yeah, noticed that one. Lol.
    Why not both?

• Orphia
    Options
    LOL, guys!

Good pickup.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite bit:
    Certain brainless invertebrates in the low-carb community will dispute the law of caloric balance. Screw them. You want to believe that manipulating macronutrients magically opens a rift in the space-time-insulin continuum that miraculously transports your belly fat to the fifth dimension? Fine, go do it somewhere else. On this website we deal with reality.

*Disclaimer - does not apply to all who do low carb (which I think is clear from the quote, just emphasising before someone pounces).
  • rigein24
    rigein24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I thought it was great he was taking the no BS approach, but he soon delves into theories like "fasted cardio" and "shorter eating windows". Most people aren't interested in being so specific, making things more difficult than they need to be. A TL;DR version of his article should be: all that matters for people wanting to lose weight/body fat is your caloric balance. You will have to adapt new strategies in your life to accomplish this. Exercise when your schedule allows it, and do something you enjoy doing.

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options

I think it's more a case of drinkers will use running as an opportunity to allow them to eat and drink ;)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

There is some truth to that statement. It depends on what type of runners, and what type of lifters. I can see many runners saying "i exercised, i need a treat." people who are in to more body building atheistic, I don't see them really doing that. e.g. post workout for runners some large meal, post workout for bodybuilders a protein shake.

A generalization is something that is true some of the time.
    It's still a generalization.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Mostly good. It's not an issue of cardio OR weights - both are part of a good fitness plan, so you don't end up "skinny-fat".. with a reduced metabolism.. and weak.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

There is some truth to that statement. It depends on what type of runners, and what type of lifters. I can see many runners saying "i exercised, i need a treat." people who are in to more body building atheistic, I don't see them really doing that. e.g. post workout for runners some large meal, post workout for bodybuilders a protein shake.

I rather like you
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Would it still be a generalization if it's true more often than not?

you get what the word means right?
  • Orphia
    Options
    All generalisations are false including this one.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes, there is also the word "often" in the statment.

"Lifters are more concerned about nutrition than runners are. Often, runners will use their activity as an excuse to eat and drink"

Generalization
    a general statement : a statement about a group of people or things that is based on only a few people or things in that group

: the act or process of forming opinions that are based on a small amount of information
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/generalization

So it's NOT a generalization if MOST(not a few) people do it. SO the original statement by the author of the article is correct, and not a generalization.

I'll just leave it at that.

*headesk* - I shouldn't but...

"Lifters are more concerned about nutrition than runners are. Often, runners will use their activity as an excuse to eat and drink"

Pu, pu, pu... You see that first sentence?

If the author had written "Some lifters are more concerned ... Or Often lifters are most concerned..." then you might have a leg to stand on. As it is the author wrote "Lifters [a group] are more concerned [a generalization] than runners [another group] are. This statement is a generalization. The second sentence is a qualifier of why some runners aren't concerned, in a mealy-mouthed manner, at that.

I mean, we are both ESLers, but this stuff shouldn't even be an issue...
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sorry too many rules for me, you lost me after the first few sentences. My rule. WORK OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU AND DO IT. Screw everyone else and their rules. PS I have lost 46.5kg with this attitude.... so I win lol
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes, there is also the word "often" in the statment.

Generalization
    a general statement : a statement about a group of people or things that is based on only a few people or things in that group

: the act or process of forming opinions that are based on a small amount of information
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/generalization

So it's NOT a generalization if MOST(not a few) people do it. SO the original statement by the author of the article is correct, and not a generalization.

I'll just leave it at that.

As gene says also maybe read the whole Paragraph
    Lifters are more concerned about nutrition than runners are. Often, runners will use their activity as an excuse to eat and drink, whereas lifters care more about body composition. As the article shows, that thing about added muscle massively ramping up metabolism is crap, and from a purely physiological perspective aerobic training wins for weight loss, except for the fact that so many runners think running = eating.

So Pu you may want to try and incorrectly split infinitives but the whole paragraph is a stupid genralisation.