Becoming a personal trainer to get into shape?

Options
13»

Replies

• CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I dont think you should waste the money and time on the certification if you dont plan to do it as a career. You are better off just learning it on your own, and I think maybe getting personal trainer to help you learn/keep you motivated would be a better idea. but I am glad to hear you like massage therapy, I am actually going to start my training for massage therapy in a few months :) I need to start getting in better shape and learning healthy habits myself.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer and aquatic instructor. I spent my entire life staying in shape because I like the feeling of being strong and competent. I also spent my career as an industrial designer as well as teaching college. When I retired I decided to pursue my lifelong interest in fitness, starting by losing 30lb on MFP.

I was already in good shape, but sort of jiggly. :o I spent a year losing weight and getting stronger, I spent the last year getting licensed to teach Zumba; certified as a group fitness instructor through ACE and AFAA; finding a passion about aquatic fitness and getting licensed to teach Aqua Zumba; getting certified through AEA and learning about teaching aquatics; and finally getting certified as a personal trainer through AFAA. I started teaching Zumba and Aqua fit and working with a couple of pt clients and getting good feedback. I spent time learning a bunch of different dance disciplines (Salsa, balllet, Flamenco, Groove, Ecstatic dance) to learn more about my body. I will be starting a program to become a wellness coach in July

It's more of a calling for me than just a career - I believe in my ability to help people's lives. I think whatever you do, you need to be passionate about it. This won't ensure that you lose weight unless there's more to it than that.
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever seen that questioned asked here before, I may be wrong. I personally feel the other way around is a good way to go. You want to be able to motivate your clients and you should be able to motivate yourself as well. If you can't motivate yourself without becoming a trainer first then you'll be lacking some qualities that go into the trainer/client experience.

^ this
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Curtez wrote: »
    Get in shape first.
    As the saying goes: "cant trust a skinny chef."

complete BS.
    I do not trust a fat chef. That shows me that there's no discipline and/or discriminating palette from his/her side...
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the conversation.
    To the OP:

Not sure what type of advice you need.
    It's pretty obvious that becoming a PT is not exactly "rocket science".
    All you need is tons of work and dedication just like any other endeavor worth pursuing.
    No one can convince you that you can do it or not other than you.

There's absolutely nothing that dictates that you cannot do it.
    I say go for it, and if you fail, so what?
    Most of my valuable experiences came from utter and complete failure.
    Don't be scared of failure, not trying is far far worse...
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    This thread is a little old now but message to OP or anyone who is considering this.

There's nothing wrong with becoming passionate about your personal fitness and wanting to learn all that you can, I just think it's over-kill at this phase to get the certification to become a personal trainer.

The most important thing right now is getting out there, staying active and developing yourself as you go. If you've already started a good beginners lifting program and are carefully and accurately tracking your calories according to your goals I don't see an issue with taking the certification to becoming a personal trainer. Just don't think this is a requirement to becoming physically fit.