Calculating Calories

Options
sma1721
sma1721 Posts: 5 Member
what is the best way to calculate calories for deli food? Example scoop (large) of Tuna Salad over iceberg lettuce? Or buffalo chicken wrap? (I eat half)
I know I should bring my own lunch but when I don't those are usually one of my choices.

Replies

• blaugeist
    blaugeist Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Use google to see the calorie values of your food , not totally accurate but it's a start
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have this problem at work. I eat tuna and salad from the canteen every day and am not allowed to bring my own.

I've just guesstimated - hopefully on the high side.
  • sma1721
    Options
    It's frustrating and I guesstimate also 450 calories
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Add each ingredient separately and estimate the amounts.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Even if you find the calorie numbers for the deli food, there is no way to know if the guy making the food put an extra dollop or 4 of mayo in the tuna salad.

Many restaurants have been set up by newspapers doing stings, taking the food to a lab and testing it, and most of the time, the lite menu items were the ones that had the most errors in calorie reporting. All it takes is one extra shot of dressing, and Boom.

That's why a lot of people refuse to eat out, or bring a LOT of stuff from home. In my car, I have a bottle of hot sauce, just in case I run into a situation where I have to eat something unpalatable, and the only garnishes or sauces are fat with fat and extra fat in them, or fat free dressing, which just replaces the fat with carbs.

To answer you, guess high for deli stuff, and don't ever trust ANYONE to tell you the true calorie counts. Even at a restauraunt, you never know if the cook used a second pat of butter, when in the test kitchen and the calorimetry was calculated with only one pat, stuff like that.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using a food scale for anything you make/prepare at home. After a while, you should be able to eyeball amounts of food you eat when out in the world, and quick add calories to make up for any difference.
  • sma1721
    Options
    Thanks everyone think I'm gonna start bringing my tuna from home!