Newbie Here!!

Options
Hello there! I have decided to start a bit early on the "New Years Resolution" this year. I need to drop about 45 pounds and have decided to join this website as my first step. I have had a few (OK, a lot) of failed diet attempts, and I am to the point where it's just got to happen. I just got married last month and I hate that I didn't drop the weight before the thousands (yes, literally) of pictures that were taken of my husband and I. Oh well, never too late to lose the weight, right? I am so open to trying new recipes and use that treadmill a bit more than has served so well as a wet clothes hanger. Haha. Take me under your wings people and cough up the words of wisdom and things that have worked well for you guys! Glad to be here and look forward to sharing progress with everyone!

Replies

• JenS2009
    JenS2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I have decided to start a bit early on the "New Years Resolution" this year. I need to drop about 45 pounds and have decided to join this website as my first step. I have had a few (OK, a lot) of failed diet attempts, and I am to the point where it's just got to happen. I just got married last month and I hate that I didn't drop the weight before the thousands (yes, literally) of pictures that were taken of my husband and I. Oh well, never too late to lose the weight, right? I am so open to trying new recipes and use that treadmill a bit more than has served so well as a wet clothes hanger. Haha. Take me under your wings people and cough up the words of wisdom and things that have worked well for you guys! Glad to be here and look forward to sharing progress with everyone!
  • Skabilly
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to mfp
    Yeah its never to late!!!:smile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen, and welcome to THE best site on the web!
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Also, drink lots of water, that seems to help alot too. :drinker:
    I was just like you, I tried EVERY diet out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, but nothing worked until I started at MFP! It REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! MFP is NOT a diet, and THAT'S what's made all the difference in the world! You hear the word "diet" and right away think that you're going to be "deprived", and that you'll only last so long, and then you'll be right back to eating all the "goodies" that are out there! BUT, with MFP, you never feel deprived, because you'll learn real quick that you AREN'T ever deprived! You CAN have a "goodie" every now and then, you'll just need to "work for it" with exercise, and watching your numbers. It's THAT simple! I myself have a McDonald's double cheeseburger at least once a month, and even Chinese food every few months! I just watch my numbers and exercise, and I have pretty much steadily been losing since I started last April. And by exercise, I don't mean sweating my butt off at some expensive gym either. I walk, and also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made for me, using all my favorite old songs. It's fun, I can do it no matter the weather, and I also watch tv too, so I'm never bored!
    Anyway though, didn't mean to be so long winded, just wanted to let you know that MFP REALLY DOES work, and you'll be as big a "loser" as the rest of us are in no time! :laugh: :smile:
  • JenS2009
    JenS2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Logging in the food before you eat it does actually help. That way, I can decide if those last few bites are actually worth it! It is a huge eye-opener to see the calories on paper in front of you. Wow... I am going to the grocery store with a different attitude now. I am the snack queen, so maybe I can read some more posts about snacks that fill you up AND taste good! Thanks again for your words!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Logging in the food before you eat it does actually help. That way, I can decide if those last few bites are actually worth it! It is a huge eye-opener to see the calories on paper in front of you. Wow... I am going to the grocery store with a different attitude now. I am the snack queen, so maybe I can read some more posts about snacks that fill you up AND taste good! Thanks again for your words!

One thing that's very filling as well as really yummy is the chocolate oats Fiber One bar. Course, you've gotta watch out for those "after effects" about 4 or 5 hours later! And whatever you do, DON'T ever eat 2 in the same day! WAY too much fiber! :laugh: