Saggy Skin?

Options
Hi All, I have a lot of weight to lose (goal weight is to drop another 55kg) and I am worried about saggy skin, has anybody lost this much weight and not had skin left hanging (without surgery?)

Thanks

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, if you lose the weight slowly, you won't have an excess skin problem as it adapts. Best of luck to you.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    In many cases the loose skin is honestly unavoidable. Yes, losing slowly will help out a lot though. If you lose to fast the skin has no time to even try and adapt. Just lose the weight responsibly to be healthy and don't worry about it. Being fat is worse then having some loose skin.
  • lisa131072
    lisa131072 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am doing slowly and exercising too so hoping that will help.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, your genes, age, muscle, etc all play into how well your skin "snaps" back. I agree with the poster above, losing slowly will help mitigate some of the loose skin issues and building muscle can also help. I've also seen with others posting here that it just simply took time, in some case years. I've got some bat wings/lower stomach skin I'm sure I'll be hanging onto. If it really bothers me or I hate it, maybe down the road, I'd look into surgery, but right now I'm not seriously considering it.
  • lisa131072
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I may have to get my head around the fact there will likely be loose skin, I wouldn't got through surgery to remove it, just don't want to end up losing all this weight and still hating what I see in the mirror, although not losing it also isn't an option.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started at 290, now I'm down 110 lbs. And when you start losing weight and feeling better- you won't even care as much about the loose skin. I'm not even at my goal or thin by any means, but I still check myself out lol

You'll feel good, more energetic, and confident- at least I've found this to be true for me!
  • nikkiii57
    nikkiii57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I girl I know has lost almost 200lbs, she has some saggy skin but not much. She did it slowly and works out! I think that combo is key. You must work out and wieght train! Good luck on your journey my dear!
  • lisa131072
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    I started at 290, now I'm down 110 lbs. And when you start losing weight and feeling better- you won't even care as much about the loose skin. I'm not even at my goal or thin by any means, but I still check myself out lol

You'll feel good, more energetic, and confident- at least I've found this to be true for me!

lol, that made me smile! Thanks. Have lost 2 stone so far and do feel more energetic already, it's the confidence I need to find along the way..
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. :) As said before, it will boost your confidence and energy anyways!! :)