Father's Day activity tracker help needed

Options
cardbucfan
cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all. Hubby is overweight, diabetic and has a very sedentary job. HE wants to improve his health (yay!) by losing weight and exercising more and is intrigued by an activity tracker.

I have a fitbit one which I use as a glorified pedometer and use my polar f4 HRM when I workout but that's not what he wants.

He is interested in an all in one device. His ancient polar HRM chest strap just broke so this is a great time to get something new.

He has a really nice watch so don't need that feature. He swims sometimes so waterproof/resistant would be a benefit. When he does exercise (besides swimming) it's usually an exercise machine at the gym plus we are going to start training to hike the Grand Canyon next year.

So I'm looking for opinions since there are so many options out there! He doesn't use MFP so doesn't need it to sync. Also curious how accurate the HRM features are on these things without a strap.

Let me hear from you!
Thanks

Replies

• jakbreckon
    jakbreckon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think a Garmin vivosmart (or the newer one) would be a good fit. It is waterproof/ you can swim in it. It also hooks up to a Garmin heart rate chest strap. It vibrates when you sit still too long. It also has a watch/ notifications for txt/ phone calls. It syncs to MFP if he wants too later. The app isn't great except for telling you steps/ activities with heart rate, but it works. I have had mine since Jan and I love it!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cardbucfan wrote: »
    Hey all. Hubby is overweight, diabetic and has a very sedentary job. HE wants to improve his health (yay!) by losing weight and exercising more and is intrigued by an activity tracker.

I have a fitbit one which I use as a glorified pedometer and use my polar f4 HRM when I workout but that's not what he wants.

He is interested in an all in one device. His ancient polar HRM chest strap just broke so this is a great time to get something new.

He has a really nice watch so don't need that feature. He swims sometimes so waterproof/resistant would be a benefit. When he does exercise (besides swimming) it's usually an exercise machine at the gym plus we are going to start training to hike the Grand Canyon next year.

So I'm looking for opinions since there are so many options out there! He doesn't use MFP so doesn't need it to sync. Also curious how accurate the HRM features are on these things without a strap.

Let me hear from you!
    Thanks

Look into the Jawbone UP3. It is one of the few trackers with HRM that is also water resistant. Most have to be removed for swimming. It is brand new so I don't know its history of accuracy or longevity but someone recently started a thread here when they got theirs.

• shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The UP3 doesn't tell you your HR during activity yet. :( My BF has one and is anxiously awaiting when they do the firmware update and start using all the fancy sensors.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    shinisize wrote: »
    The UP3 doesn't tell you your HR during activity yet. :( My BF has one and is anxiously awaiting when they do the firmware update and start using all the fancy sensors.

Ahh, the joys of it being brand new :(

• cardbucfan
    Options
    Thanks. How about the fitbit charge? Any experience with that?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hubby is overweight, diabetic and has a very sedentary job. HE wants to improve his health (yay!) by losing weight and exercising more and is intrigued by an activity tracker.

The Fitbit Charge HR has a heart rate monitor—the Charge does not. The Charge HR is not waterproof. Swimming must be logged either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

Get him the Charge HR, keep the receipt, and return it if he doesn't like it. Add him as a Fitbit friend and do a Fitbit challenge with him—they're great motivation. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Hubby is overweight, diabetic and has a very sedentary job. HE wants to improve his health (yay!) by losing weight and exercising more and is intrigued by an activity tracker.

The Fitbit Charge HR has a heart rate monitor—the Charge does not. The Charge HR is not waterproof. Swimming must be logged either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

Get him the Charge HR, keep the receipt, and return it if he doesn't like it. Add him as a Fitbit friend and do a Fitbit challenge with him—they're great motivation. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Hmmm, if it's not waterproof he won't be happy. He's also not one to do challenges so the social component would be lost on him.

• earlnabby
    Options
    The Garmin Vivosmart is another that has an HRM and is water resistant. Don't know too much about it but it might be worth looking into.
  • cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have. Far in vivosmart hm. I love it. It is waterproof, tracks how well you sleep in sleep mode, has a non activity monitor (if you don't move for an hour is starts buzzing) it has an alarm vibrate which is actually really effective, it streams your texts, emails and phone calls, and I find the challenges it adds you too a great motivator for getting your steps up. I also find it really comfy and don't notice it at all when wearing it at night. You can put it into exercise mode and it tracks your exercise. It vibrates when you reach your goal steps for the day too.

Oh and it tells the time :)

I'm a big fan of mine, I know some people complain about it not responding when they double tap it sometimes but I actually like that it isn't overly sensitive so won't accidentally activate if your running or sleeping etc.
  • cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Garmin, not far in!!! sorry stupid iPad auto correct!
  • cardbucfan
    Options
    Thanks!