Diabetic trying to tone up

Options
Hi, I'm a T1 diabetic guy who has recently been on a diet and lost 2.5 stone in 2 months. I'm now a healthy weight (166lbs) but am looking to gain some muscle and tone up. Can anybody please recommend the sort of exercises I should be doing and the foods I should be eating? Thank you :)

Replies

• CBworkout91
    CBworkout91 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I may have diabetes as well. From research I found that those on diabetes can do the same exercises as a non-diabetic. However, you cannot eat far above your TDEE in order to "bulk": see http://johndoebodybuilding.com/bodybuilding-diabetes/ for some good advice related to strength-training.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I noticed this... I'm also a type 1, though I'm not yet to the point of gaining muscle (I'm still trying to lose fat).

It might help to post in the type 1 group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/232-type-1-juvenile-diabetics

I know groups are less active since the upgrade last fall, so you may have to be patient for responses, but I think you'll get feedback from users who are more likely to have experience with this.

Here is my 2 cents, though:
    -Right after your workout (within 10-20 min.), eat 15-30 grams of fast acting carbs (use glucose tablets, even if you are not low and have to cover it with insulin) to restore glycogen.
    -Eat plenty of protein every day.
    **These are things that are recommended for non-diabetics as well.
  • CBworkout91
    CBworkout91 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks midwesterner85. I am comforted by how many of the tips for controlling diabetes are generally good advice for all people.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    CNoitez wrote: »
    Thanks midwesterner85. I am comforted by how many of the tips for controlling diabetes are generally good advice for all people.

That's more often true for type 2 diabetes. But in the case of building muscle, it isn't a matter of controlling blood glucose as much as food intake and cardio exercise. There are some huge differences between type 1 and type 2 when it comes to food in particular.
  • sazziek
    sazziek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    HOLLA for the beetus! I am type one and have been for 20 years - its all about knowing how many carbs you can eat a day and adjusting your insulin. I usually have a protein shake before or right after a work out and check my sugars a few hours before and after to make sure I am on the right track. good luck!!!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Cardio exercises won't do much for building muscle, in fact, it could reduce your muscle building capability. However, cardio is for heart and lung health. Weight lifting is for building muscle. Eat at your maintenance level for calories, and do a weight lifting regimen. You will be able to build muscle. No need for "bulking" and going over your maintenance unless you are wanting to build quicker. You'll find that you'll naturally "tone" (aka see the muscle that is on your body) once your body fat percentage is low enough.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited May 2015
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Cardio exercises won't do much for building muscle, in fact, it could reduce your muscle building capability. However, cardio is for heart and lung health. Weight lifting is for building muscle. Eat at your maintenance level for calories, and do a weight lifting regimen. You will be able to build muscle. No need for "bulking" and going over your maintenance unless you are wanting to build quicker. You'll find that you'll naturally "tone" (aka see the muscle that is on your body) once your body fat percentage is low enough.

I'm sorry I was unclear. Here is what I mean:

The difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes and non-diabetics is very small when it comes to building muscle.

The difference between type 1 and type 2 and non-diabetics is more important in regards to food and cardio.