Memorial Day Weekend food planning

Options
sazziek
sazziek Posts: 57 Member
Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone! What is everyone doing? Most importantly, how are you planning the weekend around BBQ's, beers, and binge eating? How do you stay on track during holidays like this one?

Tomorrow my boyfriend, and another couple are going to see the Air Show for the first time. Apparently it gets CRAZY crowded, so we are getting there around 9 AM. that means we have to prepare breakfast and lunch - along with a few snacks. I feel like I've been doing OKAY with my eating and working out but I give in so easily to food :neutral: I can never say no to a cheeseburger or two lol. With that said - how do you all stay on track? My boyfriend and I were thinking of packing a few hard boiled eggs, whole wheat saltines, tons of water, some fruit and cheese and maybe stopping at a deli for either a salad or whole wheat wrap of some sort. I know Sunday we are going to a cousin reunion on my side of the fam which is going to involve ALL BBQ foods, drinks and desserts. I can use that day as a "cheat" day, but I don't want to go overboard. Any tips on how to NOT over eat (I must admit I will be having a few vodka-sodas throughout the day) and not feel guilty?? =)

Enjoy!

Replies

• ellamaries
    ellamaries Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Portion control is the biggest! Get smaller plates if possible, or fill half of it with the watermelon and salads at the BBQs. And then don't worry too much! It's a holiday and one day won't hurt, you have to enjoy the good food some days! :smile:
  • sazziek
    Options
    @ellamaries You are so right!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a bbq where servers put pre-cut pieces of stuff on your plate so you don't really have a choice on portion size. I am going to just not eat all of it. I've also researched the menu and know what the lower calorie items are, so I'm going to try to stick to those. Like steak instead of the baby back ribs. Overall I'm not going to try to eat close to maintenance and not worry too much. Oh, and I'll be hiking all day both Sat and Sun.
  • sazziek
    Options
    @whmscll That is a great idea. Even eating half of what they give you could help. and YEAHHHH for hiking!! We are taking a trip to NH in 2 weeks for a hike and I cannot wait! Have fun!!
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating a small portion of potato salad and some baked beans, but will prepare ahead of time a chicken breast for myself while everyone else eats hot dogs.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on day drinking and face stuffing:)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on day drinking and face stuffing:)

I may end up doing this...the best laid plans and all that. Ask me on Tuesday!
  • cwilson72180
    cwilson72180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh another holiday weekend!! This is always so hard for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's a holiday weekend...I'm going to enjoy myself. I'm going to eat some BBQ in excess and drink some beers in excess and then resume my normal life. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty irrelevant.
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's a holiday weekend...I'm going to enjoy myself. I'm going to eat some BBQ in excess and drink some beers in excess and then resume my normal life. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty irrelevant.

Although I do not drink I couldn't agree with you more. 1 day will not derail you. It may cause a temp setback until everything passes but as cwolfman13 said and I agree it's pretty irrelevant.

This mindset has helped me lose over 150 pounds.

Good luck all and enjoy!!!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    We are hosting the bbq this year. We'll burn some burgers and everyone brings something to share. I don't drink much so I don't have to deal with that. I'll probably skip the hamburger bun (use big lettuce leaves!) and indulge but try to keep the portions smart. And, since it's a long weekend, I'll have time for garden work and workouts
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    You can't deprive yourself on holidays or else you'll go off the rails later in the week. May as well get it out of your system.

The only change I've made to holidays (Thanksgiving was my first big one) is that I do not keep or take home leftovers. If you feel like you can't enjoy the day without a plateful of cheeseburgers and coleslaw, have them. It is only one day.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Having a small BBQ, will be a moderate cheat day by my standards. Plan on burning an extra 500 calories on Sunday and Tuesday, then burning 1000 on Monday, giving me an extra 2000 on top of my daily budget. Should be a good day :) I plan on having a few burgers, hotdogs and beers, I have hardly drank in the last 310 days so why not?
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I agree, the only Holiday I went overboard on was Christmas, basically had a month of Christmas cheer in two days.
    You can't deprive yourself on holidays or else you'll go off the rails later in the week. May as well get it out of your system.

The only change I've made to holidays (Thanksgiving was my first big one) is that I do not keep or take home leftovers. If you feel like you can't enjoy the day without a plateful of cheeseburgers and coleslaw, have them. It is only one day.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with the low calorie drinks and eat at home or choose a few items (salad, grilled chicken) and forego things like potato salad, bread, etc
  • Juneliliy
    Juneliliy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with the low calorie drinks and eat at home or choose a few items (salad, grilled chicken) and forego things like potato salad, bread, etc

That's a great idea. I think I am going to try that.

• liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Our cookout was Saturday. I spent two hours dragging big heavy pots around in the garden in the morning, then went for an hour and a half bike ride in the early afternoon. I figured I earned enough to eat what I wanted, so I did :D Including an Almond Joy waffle cone for dessert!
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Saving up my calories for a plate of BBQ ribs and potato salad. :)