Reducing my carbohydrates intake

Options
i see myself often going for a high carb snack (not on purpose) or just over eating carbs. Any secrets or advice on snacks that I can eat that are low in carbs?

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Oh I have the same problem. Nuts are good snack, I will do that. Veggies of course, carrots, cucumber, peppers anything like that.

Fruit is also a good choice, still a carb, but a better choice overall.
  • DanPonting
    DanPonting Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try stabilising your blood sugar. Spread your meals apart, opt for better food choices.

Failing that, exercise some self control. You can have success or excuses, pick one.

/motivational pep talk.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    i see myself often going for a high carb snack (not on purpose) or just over eating carbs. Any secrets or advice on snacks that I can eat that are low in carbs?

First of all, WHY do you want to reduce carbs?

If you want to stabilize blood sugar, eat several meals over the course of the day and include all 3 macros in each meal.

If you feel hungry sooner after eating a higher carb meal or snack, start choosing things like cheese, nuts, eggs, jerky (if you can handle the sodium), pre-cooked lean chicken breast.

If you have trouble exercising self control around high carb snacks, don't have them in the house. When you really want one, go and buy a single donut or cookie, or candy bar.

If you only think that reducing carbs will cause you to lose weight, get over that nonsense. It really is all about creating a calorie deficit. How you get there will depend solely on what fuels your body best along with giving you the proper nutrition and making you satisfied.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Almonds and Macadamian nuts are low-ish in carbs compared to other nuts. Make some hard boiled eggs. Other snack ideas: dill pickles, beef jerky (the kind without sugar), cheese sticks, sugar free jello.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    If you only think that reducing carbs will cause you to lose weight, get over that nonsense. It really is all about creating a calorie deficit. How you get there will depend solely on what fuels your body best along with giving you the proper nutrition and making you satisfied.

There is plenty of evidence that a calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie. Diets chronically high in carbohydrates can lead to insulin insensitivity and that alone makes a carb calorie different than a fat or protein calorie, but there is more to the story than just this one factor.

Creating a deficit is of course key to reducing weight. However if someone is eating a very high carb diet (as is common in many households these days) changing up the mix of calories can help and also help sustain the losses.

I'll speak for my own experience. While I've always cooked healthy, well balanced, from scratch meals for my family at dinner, carbs had come to dominate breakfast, lunch, and snacks. When I started down the get-fit road last September the only concious and significant change I made to my eating habits was to change up the carb overload in my diet. Between that and a modest increase in activity, I dropped 50 pounds over the following seven months.

Sad, really, there was nothing more I enjoyed making for the family than our regular two (or four) loaves a week of home made bread. I still make it but not nearly as regularly.
  • iluvstrwbrries
    iluvstrwbrries Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hello, Im a low carber and have been for over a decade. If you don't mind me asking what are your usual go to high carb foods. Maybe I can offer you some alternatives to your favorite snacks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Cheese, pepperami / salami, low carb berries, 85% or higher cocoa solids chocolate.