Lifting heavy weights; can't lose weight

Options
I lost 40 lbs last year but have hit a slump. I haven't lost a pound in a few months. First it was Halloween candy, then Christmas food, then a vacation and then Easter candy. I decided to start tracking my macros and calories to help get me back on track.
I've been using my fitness pal for a month. I've set it to lose 1.5 lbs a week and I'm under almost every day and I haven't dropped a pound this month.
However, I do lift pretty heavy 4 days a week. Is it possible that I'm not losing because I'm gaining muscle?? Or is it something else?
I'm beginning to doubt the amount of calories I should actually be eating or if the food I'm putting in is correct. I guess I'm saying I'm not sure I trust the numbers on the app or if it's because Im' lifting heavy.
I don't necessarily notice a change in my body but I am able to increase weights regularly(meaning I'm getting stronger)
thanks for your help....it's frustrating

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 40 lb weight loss in the past.

What's your calorie goal now? What's your height / weight? What's your calorie goal now? Do you weigh and measure your food portions properly?
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You're a 38-year old male. Let's get some numbers.

Odds are you're just not really eating at a deficit. It's the most common mistake and easy to do.

You've lost weight, so your body operates fine at a cut. It's not like you suddenly created a thyroid condition.

I lift heavy too; have done that for two years. On calorie surplus I gain weight as I should, and about half of it is muscle. Since March I've been focused on cutting. At a calorie deficit, weight comes off. I still have managed a few PR's over that time, so I'm still getting stronger.

If you aren't losing any weight, it's probably because you're eating closer to maintenance than you think.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're most probably not logging properly and eating more than you think
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Bingo.

Track accurately for 2 weeks straight and then make decisions based off the good data you've just accumulated.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Also, with only 9 pounds to lose, 1.5 loss per week seems pretty high. I'd try setting it to 1lb or .5lb per week and adjust from there.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Bingo.

Track accurately for 2 weeks straight and then make decisions based off the good data you've just accumulated.

^this
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    What did you do to lose the 40lbs? Are you eating more now than you were? Apart from lifting, have you changed your exercise at all? People who say 'you're eating more than you think' don't forget he was able to lose 40lbs. Don't forget you may need to adjust calories for your lighter weight.

I also agree with 9lbs to lose you don't need to aim for 1.5lbs a week.

Just do what you did to lose 40lbs as obviously that worked.
  • Peekay24
    Peekay24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' and 197lbs. I was 234 a year ago and got down to 194. It took me about 8-9 months to lose the 40 lbs. I was running 3 times a week and hitting weights 3-4 times a week. I was eating better than before and basically just cut out the crap and junk food.
    I've been 196-197 for the past 3-4 months. I kind of stalled and I could still lose some body fat and now I'm getting frustrated so that's why I started tracking on this app.
    I work in a restaurant at night so I'm on my feet walking for 7-8 hours a night so I've put "active" as my lifestyle since I also work out 6-7 days a week.
    It's told me I can have 2200 calories but with my working out I'm often 3-400 under that everyday.
    So, I"m not sure why I'm not losing. Like I said, I lift heavy weights so I wondered if that was it. Don't feel I know or understand my body enough to tell if I'd gained a few pounds of muscle and maybe that's why I wasn't losing weight.
    I think I'm just gonna change my number to 2000 a day and see what that does.
    Also, yes I do weigh my food when I can.
    In all honesty,I'm not sure what I'm doing differently than when I was losing all that weight, other than lifting heavier.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Peekay24 wrote: »
    I'm 6' and 197lbs. I was 234 a year ago and got down to 194. It took me about 8-9 months to lose the 40 lbs. I was running 3 times a week and hitting weights 3-4 times a week. I was eating better than before and basically just cut out the crap and junk food.
    I've been 196-197 for the past 3-4 months. I kind of stalled and I could still lose some body fat and now I'm getting frustrated so that's why I started tracking on this app.
    I work in a restaurant at night so I'm on my feet walking for 7-8 hours a night so I've put "active" as my lifestyle since I also work out 6-7 days a week.
    It's told me I can have 2200 calories but with my working out I'm often 3-400 under that everyday.
    So, I"m not sure why I'm not losing. Like I said, I lift heavy weights so I wondered if that was it. Don't feel I know or understand my body enough to tell if I'd gained a few pounds of muscle and maybe that's why I wasn't losing weight.
    I think I'm just gonna change my number to 2000 a day and see what that does.
    Also, yes I do weigh my food when I can.
    In all honesty,I'm not sure what I'm doing differently than when I was losing all that weight, other than lifting heavier.

You've lost weight, you have less to lose and there's less margin for error so you need to weigh everything because you are eating at maintenance ...that includes food you nibble at work and drinks

If lifting weights has replaced your cardio you're burning fewer calories ...how are you measuring your exercise burn

At least you've found your maintenance level though
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You're not eating back exercise calories, are you? Normally that's how one would do it with MFP but you mentioned that you lumped all of your exercise into your activity level so if you're eating it back you may be essentially double counting those calories and ending up with too much intake.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein?
  • Peekay24
    Peekay24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're not eating back exercise calories, are you? Normally that's how one would do it with MFP but you mentioned that you lumped all of your exercise into your activity level so if you're eating it back you may be essentially double counting those calories and ending up with too much intake.

Never thought of this. Some days I do eat my exercise calories. But yes, I've got some of them worked in to my daily total already. I think I'll still add in my runs because they are a huge amount of calories but I won't add in my weight training

Also, I still run 2-3 times a week. Depending on my distance each run is 400-700 calories. Think I'm going to reduce my calories and then try and just eat that number and ignore my exercise calories

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

This. You're not supposed to include your exercise with the MFP NEAT method. So if you have, and then you're eating back exercise calories, that will definitely mess you up too.

How about weighing food? Do you do that? You mentioned to lose the first 40 pounds you just cut out some junk food. Once you get closer to goal it's a bit harder to keep a deficit. And you can still eat some of that junk. It just all needs to be weighed and logged accurately.