Working out while sick? Opinions?

Options
Hello everyone.

Im behind schedule a couple of days due to a death in the family.

However, now that things have calmed down I wanted to get back at it :)

I woke up today with major sinus pressure, double ear infection, and significant chest congestion....

I just couldnt get on the treadmill....

WWYD? Would you have worked out anyway...or put it aside till you were feeling better?

Thanks Guys!

Replies

• Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. :(

I would put off exercising for a day or two unless it is something light like walking.
  • arsonsmom
    arsonsmom Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry for you loss...I hope you are getting plenty of rest but when Im sick I normally do light walking about 3.0MPH...I hope this helps
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    A doctor told me once, if the cold is only in your head, like sinuses, etc, continue to exercise. But if it's in your chest, take a break and get better. Just don't push yourself and get REALLY sick! Hope this helps.

Above the neck, yes... below the neck, no...:)
  • dwilliam116
    dwilliam116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Take a rest until you are feeling better. You can't give your best effort when you are sick anyway.
  • caradon
    caradon Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree. Walking is still exercise, but it doesn't take too much effort, and fresh air might be good for you. Let your body recover for a few days before you do anything major, especially after a loss in the family. Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The general rule is that if symptoms are above the neck, you can still exercise but at a lower intensity. Below the neck, better to rest.

With ear infections though, be careful--your balance could be compromised!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I generally don't feel as sick WHEN I'm working out, so I would have given it a shot. It's funny, but unless I'm REALLY sick (like with a fever or a serious non-stop cough), I feel best DURING my workouts. Then after I cool down I start feeling sick again. Strange, but I've noticed this with the last few colds/sinus problems that I've had.

Very sorry for your loss also...

After reading a few of the other responses I wanted to add that working during a minor illness (cold/sinus, etc) hasn't seemed to mess with my immune system - meaning that I didn't get sicker because of it. In fact, I believe it helped me feel better faster, but to each their own. Obviously, there comes a point where you are physically too ill to workout.... But if you're talking about a common cold or sinus problems - I stand by my opinion :-)
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Don't
    your burning a ton of calories trying to get better.
  • lynnmarsh52
    lynnmarsh52 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss :o(

I agree with everyone else - best to rest up. The whole point of diet and exercise is to get healthy - if you push yourself when your body is sick, you are just going to make yourself worse. You could end up really sick and that's not healthy! I usually find that if I've been ill I usually gain a pound, but as soon as I'm better and back into things that comes back off anyway.

Just some gentle walking like the others have said I think would be perfect.

Hope you're feeling better soon x
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think when you're sick, you should listen to your body. If you get out of bed and feel like you just can't workout, then don't force yourself. If you feel up to working out, by all means, go ahead. Listen to your body and you can't go wrong.
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    above the neck rule. if it's above the neck eg a cold/sinus pressure then go for it but if it's below the neck eg sore tummy/chest problems etc then wait til it's better.
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    when i had sinus headaches and congestion i didnt even try to exercise. i think it goes a whole lot better when you feel good.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    A doctor told me once, if the cold is only in your head, like sinuses, etc, continue to exercise. But if it's in your chest, take a break and get better. Just don't push yourself and get REALLY sick! Hope this helps.

Above the neck, yes... below the neck, no...:)

This is exactly what my doctor told me. :-)
  • rebeccawible
    Options
    i'd take a break. just a day or so :smile: feel better soon!:flowerforyou:
  • FluffyCorky
    FluffyCorky Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but on a note related to the topic.....I'm really glad you posted this! I've been avoiding working out all week because of the way I've been feeling and thought I was just starting to be a baby about it. Now I don't feel so bad about avoiding the workout room because of the pain in my chest from being sick.
  • mikesmaniacmind
    Options
    I have always heard that wokring out breaks down your immune system so if your sick you need to rest to let your immune system build back up. Thats what i have heard from trainers, fighter and in some magazines but I guess none of them are doctors so i guess the doc would be the best one to ask to be sure.

It might help you to sit in a sauna or steam room for a while though, I know that always helps me when I have sinuses or i am congested.