Depressed, No motivation... need serious help.

Options
My name is Sierra. I'm 20, and I had a baby 8 months ago.
My body has drastically changed since before I had a baby. I used to be 130lbs and a nice butt. A little muffin top but not bad...

Now I'm 180lbs and have a flabby butt and back fatt. Its disgusting. I feel like I still look pregnant. My muffin top is gigantic. My boyfriend and I have been struggling because of it. I'm so depressed. I literally hate looking in the mirror because I hate what I see. I also have no space here where I'm staying to workout, because we are renting a tiny room frim family till we get an apartment... and I'm lazy. I lack the motivation to go out and run for even 15minutes. I dont even do the squats i should or at hone workouts.. I don't eat very healthy and I know its honestly not that hard.

I'm so stuck. I am starting to hate myself because of what I have become.... I need help. I feel like starving myself is the inky way I'll see any real results.

Replies

• 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor and ask about postpartum. It's a possibility to why you are feeling rundown and overwhelmed. However, it could be from lack of sleep and hormonal changes from having the baby. Try taking short walks and increasing the time/length as you go. Running may have to come later. Good luck.
  • teegoods38
    teegoods38 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are going through postpartum, see your doctor. Although you live in a small space you can use the outside for walking , or inside for walk away the pounds found on You tube by Leslie Sansone, I hope you feel better soon this is a very helpful sight to motivate you on your weight loss journey.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    At the risk of repeating everything these women said, go see your Doctor. I work with Moms and babies and you sound like someone who is deep into post partum. Its not your fault. There is help. That being said, even getting out and taking a walk will greatly improve mood. Thanks to those lovely endorphins that come from exercising. Please do not wait any longer. Go see your healthcare provider. :) You are not alone sweetheart. Your hormones and all are ust jacked up!
  • Gulen28
    Gulen28 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Do yoga. You don't burn a lot of calories doing yoga, but it gives you something invaluable the other workouts don't: the awareness to stop eating when you're full. Moreover, it helps you digest food better so it doesn't get stored in your body half-digested. It gives you energy and helps with depression. When I do yoga regularly I am not able to eat any junk food, my body and mind reject them. You can do it at home. Even if it's for 10 min a day.
  • CindyStier
    CindyStier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sierra, been there. once you start a program your mindset will lead you. it will happen soon and all you need is to be on your way. once you focus on an exercise and food program your mind will lead you to positive thoughts. you are nearly there!
  • poorxgirlxdiet
    poorxgirlxdiet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My body has drastically changed since before I had a baby. I used to be 130lbs and a nice butt. A little muffin top but not bad...

Now I'm 180lbs and have a flabby butt and back fatt. Its disgusting. I feel like I still look pregnant. My muffin top is gigantic. My boyfriend and I have been struggling because of it. I'm so depressed. I literally hate looking in the mirror because I hate what I see. I also have no space here where I'm staying to workout, because we are renting a tiny room frim family till we get an apartment... and I'm lazy. I lack the motivation to go out and run for even 15minutes. I dont even do the squats i should or at hone workouts.. I don't eat very healthy and I know its honestly not that hard.

I'm so stuck. I am starting to hate myself because of what I have become.... I need help. I feel like starving myself is the inky way I'll see any real results.

I've felt like this for a very long time. I think if we stick together we'll get through this.

• katelynnsmom2
    katelynnsmom2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Strap that baby in a stroller and literally walk that butt off. Believe me that is all you need at your age and post baby. No need to over complicate it. eat healthy and walk everyday and you will see results and gain more energy. The hardest part is getting going, I know I've been there. Good luck!
  • Misty137
    Misty137 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I suffered from the same thing , I only had to have medication for a short period of time and you would not believe how much it helped me , that was a long time ago and ive never experienced those feelings again . sometimes you need a little extra help to get through . I definitely suggest you see your Dr along with the getting outside as much as possible . im no expert but I did make it through that bad time
  • hvjc
    hvjc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Even better - strap that baby to YOU and go for a walk. Put the baby in a baby carrier (front or back) and you can go for hours. You will burn a lot more calories by adding the weight of an 8 month baby!

Find some other moms who want to walk. We have free strollercise here, and lots of mommy/baby fitness classes (some are free too).
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Knowing nothing at all about having a baby ... the only thing that helps my depression is working out. Go to your local gym (or check out meetups online), join a class, get to know people, and make it a regular thing -- having a social group around your working out will help a lot.

Most places also have groups for recent parents to get together and talk (if not work out) so that could help you a lot with getting used to the changes in your life.

And finally, you don't lose weight with exercise; you lose it by eating well. Good luck.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    SanemGray wrote: »
    Do yoga. You don't burn a lot of calories doing yoga, but it gives you something invaluable the other workouts don't: the awareness to stop eating when you're full. Moreover, it helps you digest food better so it doesn't get stored in your body half-digested. It gives you energy and helps with depression. When I do yoga regularly I am not able to eat any junk food, my body and mind reject them. You can do it at home. Even if it's for 10 min a day.
    Yoga has the same benefits of any exercise program, it doesn't magically alter appetite or change your digestion.
  • jcorvett007
    jcorvett007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well first off... eight months is not a long time. Being a new mom is exhausting! don't get down on yourself about that. I have two girls 8 and 4 and it never stops they keep me on the go constantly! getting out and walking with the stroller was huge for me! after I had my first child I struggled a bit feeling just how you did. I was a single mom and it was hard, but that walking time was MY time, it allowed me to clear my head and get fresh air! I am a planner when it comes to eating healthy if I do not plan ahead I will grab what ever is easiest. I also do some mental things that work for me, maybe not everyone. I changed the screen saver on my phone to a quote I had seen on Pinterest that says " its easier to get up early and exercise than to look in the mirror and not like what I see" or I always keep my woman's health and fitness magazines handy for inspiration. Also starving yourself is clearly not the answer and I think you probably know that, it will only make you more tired it will certainly not give you energy. It is most definitely not healthy, the hardest part is starting, once you do it becomes a lifestyle and you look forward to exercising. Make small realistic goals to start, it is a long process, but think of how much happier you would be in the end. You can do it! you had a child!! and your a new mom! be proud of what you've have already accomplished. Give yourself a kick in the *kitten* and get stated! 6 months from now you will be happy you did. Good Luck!
  • saramatthews919
    saramatthews919 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Getting started is the hardest but starving yourself won't help as you body will just go into survival mode & you need your strength to look after the baby things will seem better soon but I would defo go see a doctor
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    What I believe is that working on your weight will not help your depression...but working on your depression is very likely to help you lose weight, in a healthy way. When you're depressed it's hard to be objective about yourself, you feel more negatively about everything - including being depressed. Just try to get past that part long enough to find a doctor and ask for help. I wish you the best.
  • nablackb
    nablackb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Even if you get out and walk 15 to 20 minutes a day, that's that much more than you were doing before. Drastic changes won't stick. I know from personal experience depression can really do harm to your body in terms of weight loss and not eating is really just not the way to go about it. Start tracking your food intake on MFP and just at a minimal amount of extra activity, ANYTHING! Put the baby in a stroller and walk for 15 minutes a day!! Motivation and perseverance are the only things that will get you the results you want, miracle diets and pills don't work, YOU have to make it happen if that's what you want!! Go for it!! You can do it!!
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    See your doc. Many times after pregnancy, hypothyroidism happens. If your ztSH s greater than or equal to 3, then you meet the criteria for thyroid replacement. Good luck. Also check about postpartum depression.
  • giannaben
    giannaben Posts: 9 Member
    Options

You should see a doctor rule out any underlying condition and if you suffer from depression you might neeed medication. Be kind to your self you just created the most amazing gift i do hope you're baby is doing well. Remember that you're body has been through a huge transformation to allow this beautiful baby to enter this world focus on what you created be gentle you will get back on track. See you're doctor first then baby steps. Walk with your baby. You can do amazing things with a pram. Good luck wish you well. P.s ive been there i empathize.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    giannaben wrote: »

You should see a doctor rule out any underlying condition and if you suffer from depression you might neeed medication. Be kind to your self you just created the most amazing gift i do hope you're baby is doing well. Remember that you're body has been through a huge transformation to allow this beautiful baby to enter this world focus on what you created be gentle you will get back on track. See you're doctor first then baby steps. Walk with your baby. You can do amazing things with a pram. Good luck wish you well. P.s ive been there i empathize.

Necro post
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    First of all I will say what the others have been saying: go see a doctor. When you do see him, emphasize the emotions you're feeling (i.e.: lack of motivation, hating yourself) and less about your weight. Second, I suggest you see a therapist. They will help you see what this depression is hiding from you.

One thing I've learned by going through depression and therapy is that you won't be able to solve the negative things in your life until you are able to focus on the good things and find a source of love and compassion within you. You must be able to love yourself as you are. All of us at one point or another have told ourselves "I'll only be happy when I have x" or "Once I achieve x, then I'll be happy." But believe me, it's so much better to love yourself and be happy FIRST and THEN go after what you want to change. So, let me tell you now, losing that weight is not going to make you happy. Being happy is going to make you lose weight. You have to work on getting to a happier place where you can love yourself first.

Now, for someone with depression it's not that easy to just love yourself. That's why you need to see a doctor and a therapist. Medication may be necessary to help you. Then gradually, with the help of a therapist, you can find that inner space of love and compassion, and maybe eventually you won't need that medication anymore. It might be necessary for you to stay on the medication long term, and that's okay too. I'm in that second boat. But let me tell you, I'm 5'5" and weigh 250 lbs (way over weight) and I've never been happier, and I'm off of one of my antidepressants. And now that I am happy, I'm doing something about my weight, and things feel great! That's why you need to see your doctor ASAP. You deserve love and happiness! Don't settle for anything less!

I'm not a doctor or a therapist, and I know every person is different and so the solution for me might not be the solution for you. But I thought I'd share my experience and what I've learned from it in the hopes that it will be enough motivation to get you to go see somebody about this. Please go see a doctor.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor and ask about postpartum. It's a possibility to why you are feeling rundown and overwhelmed. However, it could be from lack of sleep and hormonal changes from having the baby. Try taking short walks and increasing the time/length as you go. Running may have to come later. Good luck.

You could read this and stop. There are so many of us who relate. It's hard, but go talk to your doctor. Just making a plan will help. I know how you feel. I was there too.
    {Hugs} :heart: