How to curve carvings

Options
hello, I'm Tiffany, I am new to this app. Here's my problem, I try to stay on track with my calorie count, but I'm always craving sweets. Please share, how do you curve your cravings.

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Have some little sweet treats from time to time when they fit in your calories. There are plenty of 100 calorie ice cream snacks or a little piece of chocolate might do-find something that you like.
  • tiffanydbellinger
    tiffanydbellinger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just bought some weight watchers truffle ice cream bars (100 cal) and smartones chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (140 cal). I ate one truffle ice cream bar and I wasn't satisfied. I wanted more , but then I decided to eat some fruit.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I usually curve my cravings with a pair of needle nose pliers and a dowel of the appropriate diameter.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I usually curve my cravings with a pair of needle nose pliers and a dowel of the appropriate diameter.

Maybe a dull knife? :-)
  • newtonbt
    newtonbt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one small Dove dark chocolate every two hours if my cravings are for sweets. The best way is to drink lots of water. When you crave food, drink water and wait 20 minutes. If you still crave food then you can eat something healthy.
  • jcorvett007
    jcorvett007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love sweets!! the only way I can stop myself from eating them is to not bring them into the house... that being said I wont deprive my children from sweets once in a while, so I do bring some into the house for them, ice cream for example. If I get a craving for sweets I sometimes make a coffee and grab a women's health and fitness magazine and sit drink my coffee and flip through that until the craving passes. If that doesn't work I will go brush my teeth, nothing tastes as good once you've brushed your teeth!
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Tiffany, like many people who eat processed foods you have fallen into the trap where your body is addicted to the sugar intake. Processed food is designed this way. You have two choices try and fit in as much nutrient rich foods "clean" food and add add in a small enough amount of the bad food to fill your cravings. Or go clean turkey and completely stop eating processed foods by doing a cleanse so your body can have a fresh start. Eating is about fueling your body (through proper macro and micro quantities) not just appeasing your sensations. we are all genetically desire to eat salt, fat and sweets, and eating processed foods triggers all of those quite successfully.
  • lonerockz
    lonerockz Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How about a little science to solve this problem?

Not all sugar is the same. Some sugars are very quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, other sugars are slower to enter. Think of some as a shot of tequila, and others as a beer. Same alcohol, but that shot goes in a lot faster :)

When sugar enters the bloodstream your body creates insulin. The more sugar the more insulin. However, your body has no idea if you just ate fast sugar or slow sugar. Fast sugars cause a problem because your body overreacts and produces too much insulin. It thinks this is just the start of something big! But, instead it was just a small thing that went in quickly, no more sugar is coming. So now you have a lot of insulin in your bloodstream, and that is not good for you. Lucky your body knows how to cure too much insulin: just eat more sugar! And hence the cravings for more sugar. Of course, this can lead to a vicious cycle.

Sugar "speed" is rated using the Glycemic Index. Here is a link to common foods and their ratings:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

You can see that soft drinks and many breakfast cereal are very high. Many fruits are lower.

Eating 100 calories of banana(GI 62) or raisins(64) is going to provoke the cravings more than 100 calories of oranges(40) or, even better, grapefruit(25).

So take a look at what you are eating and see if you can substitute lower GI foods.

For many folks, this cycle all starts with their breakfast. Some high GI cereal that leads them to crave sugar, have a little fast sugar snack, crave more, etc.

Good luck!

• robertdziekonski
    robertdziekonski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pine nuts seem to work for me but they leave a bad aftertaste. Makes me drink more water too. Which in turn makes me less hungry .
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to give up sugar for the rest of your life.....or just temporarily until the weight is off?

If you believe WebMD....sugar is not addictive. Sugar is a craving....not the same thing as an addiction.

Here are tips to dial back consumption:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

I am not giving up sugar for a lifetime, so I "manage" the sugar I eat. I tell myself I get to have a sugary snack everyday, BUT it's at the end of the day, and provided I am within my goals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I curbed my cravings by cutting out added sugars (pastries, cookies candy,sodas etc.) for a few weeks. Cold turkey. My palate changed a lot. Then I added back a few treats I knew I could moderate easily. These days, I eat mostly dark chocolate, and some low sugar treats.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    eat something high as *kitten* in protein

dat high satiety

more bang for your caloric buck, so to speak
  • tiffanydbellinger
    tiffanydbellinger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks for all the added knowledge and great tricks for carvings !!! Now, I will be prepare and knowledgeable on my weight loss journey. Thanks everyone for your support and helpful tips