Chest exercises

Options
sonyatab
sonyatab Posts: 25 Member
I've lost about 60 lbs since August 2014 and have lost a good bit in my chest area, which needs to be toned. Every chest exercise I do always results in me being sore in my upper arms or under my under my arms, but never in my chest muscles. Am I doing them wrong or just doing the wrong types of exercises? I normally do the chest press and butterfly, but don't see any change. Please help!!

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had the same problem you had, you are probably trying to move the weight rather than control it and contract your chest.

Also, doing machines to start isn't ideal. You are better with free weights.

First off stick to barbell bench press and dumbbell bench press

You can add in isolations like flies and pullovers once you learn to contract your chest efficiently.

Just so you know "toning" is just a made up word, it means to lose enough fat around a certain area so the muscle becomes prominent instead of hidden under fat. If you are currently in a deficit you won't build any muscle (even in a surplus muscle builds very slowly for most females.) It will help with retaining what muscle you have in that specific area though.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You need to isolate your chest muscles. Try rolling your shoulders and pretend like you are trying to put your scapulas in your back pocket.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If your on a bar bell use s narrow grip as much as you can, if your using dumbbells try keeping the dumbbells close together touching one another that will get more of the chest muscle
  • sonyatab
    sonyatab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses!! I will try these suggestions out!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ChestWt.html <--- tutorial with pictures

Focus on form and the muscles you are training at any given time.

You are likely still working your chest muscles, but you're not feeling it as much due to the light weight. As you increase weight, and do 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps at a time of various chest exercises, you should notice that good type of pain the next morning.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    If your on a bar bell use s narrow grip as much as you can, if your using dumbbells try keeping the dumbbells close together touching one another that will get more of the chest muscle

This is the exact opposite of how bench pressing works. A narrow grip puts the strain on the triceps. A wide grip works the chest.
  • alyhuggan
    Options

This is the exact opposite of how bench pressing works. A narrow grip puts the strain on the triceps. A wide grip works the chest.

Agreed, although I feel wide grip is uncomfortable.

OP, if you are doing bench I'd start out with a medium grip

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-bench-press-medium-grip

Also make sure you aren't flaring your elbows out, try keep your arms at about a 45 degree angle to keep your shoulders healthy!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    narrow grip will hit triceps. use a wider grip, or even multi grip presses in your program. Also your arms might be sore if they have to catch up to your chest muscles. work through the soreness, your arms are getting a good workout.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options

How things get taken out of content, i was only giving the OP an alternative while his muscle at his arms where sore to hit the muscle at a different angle. A wide grip is no longer the only way any more for you guys stuck on the wide only grip should try it. You don't belive me read

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kiss-your-old-bench-press-max-goodbye.html
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

How things get taken out of content, i was only giving the OP an alternative while his muscle at his arms where sore to hit the muscle at a different angle. A wide grip is no longer the only way any more for you guys stuck on the wide only grip should try it. You don't belive me read

I didn't take you out of context. I corrected an error that you posted. The link you posted agrees with ME. You said it backward. No one uses a narrow grip bench in order to put more of a strain on their chest muscles. WHY would you tell someone with sore arms to target muscles from a "different angle" by telling them to do it in a way that puts the emphasis on the muscles that are already sore (and aren't even the muscles the person is trying to work)?

"Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press: The close-grip barbell bench press is a bench press with a grip within shoulder width. This helps improve triceps strength, often a weak link in the bench press."

At least know what you're talking about before posting. I even quoted the link you provided in order to clarify how wrong you were.

I'll use any grip I choose to employ, because I actually know what I'm doing. For the record, I use more of a medium grip anyway.

IF you'd been suggesting narrow grip bench as a way to strengthen the triceps, you'd have been correct, but you didn't say that. You said it would help the chest. Lastly, the OP is female. At least try to look like you're paying attention before posting.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I didn't take you out of context. I corrected an error that you posted. The link you posted agrees with ME. You said it backward. No one uses a narrow grip bench in order to put more of a strain on their chest muscles. WHY would you tell someone with sore arms to target muscles from a "different angle" by telling them to do it in a way that puts the emphasis on the muscles that are already sore (and aren't even the muscles the person is trying to work)?

"Close-Grip Barbell Bench Press: The close-grip barbell bench press is a bench press with a grip within shoulder width. This helps improve triceps strength, often a weak link in the bench press."

At least know what you're talking about before posting. I even quoted the link you provided in order to clarify how wrong you were.

I'll use any grip I choose to employ, because I actually know what I'm doing. For the record, I use more of a medium grip anyway.

IF you'd been suggesting narrow grip bench as a way to strengthen the triceps, you'd have been correct, but you didn't say that. You said it would help the chest. Lastly, the OP is female. At least try to look like you're paying attention before posting.

1375002007029.jpg
  • kalvinS903
    kalvinS903 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The wider your grip, the more it works your chest muscles, but also is hard on your shoulders, so I'd recommend wider grip with light weight and high reps that will definitely tone the muscles, if your going for size, then go with 5 sets of 5 reps with a heavy enough weight that you can barely get the last set, and make sure to give your self a rest day or 2 between your chest day, and if you do dips, those I find work the chest incredibly, your chest will feel inflated after doing lots of dips
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    kalvinS903 wrote: »
    The wider your grip, the more it works your chest muscles, but also is hard on your shoulders, so I'd recommend wider grip with light weight and high reps that will definitely tone the muscles, if your going for size, then go with 5 sets of 5 reps with a heavy enough weight that you can barely get the last set, and make sure to give your self a rest day or 2 between your chest day, and if you do dips, those I find work the chest incredibly, your chest will feel inflated after doing lots of dips

I'm assuming troll as this is horrendous advice. You can't tone a muscle. Muscles can grow and shrink. Lower reps is better for building strength first, then building muscle. Higher reps are better for building muscle, then building strength. Although with compounds I find the 4-8 rep range the most efficient to train in.