legs. am i doing it wrong?

I do leg excersizes every other day. i really want my thighs to get a work out but only my calfs are sore the next day. Am i doing the wrong excersizes? Is it possible to work ur muscles out really well and not have any soreness the next day.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Cassiea199 wrote: »
    Is it possible to work ur muscles out really well and not have any soreness the next day.

Yes, it definitely is.

What exercises are you doing? How long, how many reps, what weight, etc etc?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    What exercises are you doing? When I first started exercising after a year or so of total laziness, it was really hard to get any muscle besides my quads to engage. It took some time and the mental focus ie when you're doing an exercise really concentrate on the muscles that you want to work. Over time you'll find them engaging more and more.
  • Cassiea199
    Cassiea199 Posts: 21 Member
    Ive been doing 20 squats, 20 split squats, 20 laying leg lifts, 20 side laying leg lifts. I do 2 reps. I dont use a kettlebell or anything. Just my bodweight which is 128 right now.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Soreness is not necessarily an indication of a good workout. What leg exercises are you doing?
    Try these:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-highest-rated-quadriceps-exercises.html
  • Cassiea199
    I dont have a gym membership. I work out while my toddler takes her nap. If u kno any excersizes i could do at home that target my thighs that would be awesome. I just kinda made up my own workout routine so any input i get will help me feel more confident about it. Pretry much just squats and leg lifts right now.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Try YouTube searches if you can (like fitness blender). Lunges seem to work pretty well, too!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Lunges, hip thrusts, squats, deadlifts... all can be done at home with minimal equipment and will help target your legs, butt, and core. I do suggest adding weight to them, though. Hold gallon jugs of water in each hand, or load up a backpack with books, or do something to add weight. Body weight is fine to begin with, but you are past that.
  • Cassiea199
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Lunges, hip thrusts, squats, deadlifts... all can be done at home with minimal equipment and will help target your legs, butt, and core. I do suggest adding weight to them, though. Hold gallon jugs of water in each hand, or load up a backpack with books, or do something to add weight. Body weight is fine to begin with, but you are past that.
    Thank you thats really helpful. And its good to kno that just bc ur not sore doesnt mean ur not doing a good enough job.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    If your calves are sore, it's because they aren't conditioned for the workouts. If your legs aren't sore, that means they are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cassiea199
    @ninerbuff do u mind if i add u as a friend?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Lol, nope. I probably have the most friends on the site.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Cassiea199
    Haha thats funny. Im sure ur very useful.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, nope. I probably have the most friends on the site.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Only 565? Slacker. There's people who have been stuck at the 1000 friend limit with a lonnng list of pending FRs. Get to work!