Apparently Not eating enough

Options
2»

Replies

• robinparker223
    robinparker223 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I chose lightly active on my activity level...will this reflect differently on my calorie intake and measurements?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Having you been losing weight rapidly?

Also, when you have an entry for something like tuna salad, do you just type tuna salad into the database and pick one that comes up, or are you entering the recipe you used to make it? You have an entry for barbeque ribs one day, a cheese quesidilla another....did you just pick something from the database? I'm just trying to figure out how accurate your logging is. If you're picking random entries, you could be eating much more than you think.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    OP, it doesn't HAVE to be healthy food. You can eat whatever you want. I know if I was told to only eat 10 kinds of food, by day 3 I'd throw myself into a pint of Ben and Jerrys...

Btw, I lost the weight by eating a serving of ice cream most days. And wine. And beer.

You can also eat some of your exercise calories. MFP calculates a deficient without factoring in exercise.
  • robinparker223
    Options

Also, when you have an entry for something like tuna salad, do you just type tuna salad into the database and pick one that comes up, or are you entering the recipe you used to make it? You have an entry for barbeque ribs one day, a cheese quesidilla another....did you just pick something from the database? I'm just trying to figure out how accurate your logging is. If you're picking random entries, you could be eating much more than you think.

I made those recipes... Um some of the other logs I looked up what I was eating based on what I had on my plate...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    With so few net calories, you can't be meeting your protein or fat goals. It's not just about "feeling full." Your body is using calories 24/7....heart lungs, kidneys, etc. These bodily functions need fuel. Unfortunately fat stores don't support every function, your body may use existing muscle as fuel also.

You want to eat enough, so that you lose mostly fat. If you are feeling full....try adding back some calorie dense foods. Eggs, lean meat, nuts, nut butters, avocado, olive oil, full fat dairy.

Healthy weight loss is about reducing your body fat percentage.....not just a number on the scale.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I eat my main meals ( breakfast, lunch, dinner). I was told to be at snacks, but most of the time I'm busy and not hungry... Like I said if I need to eat more...I can make a way....I don't want to be sick.

There's absolutely no need to snack. Simply make your main meals bigger, or more calorie dense.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Do you rely on MFP for your exercise calorie calculations? I've found it grossly overestimates my burn most of the time. And do you measure with a food scale or just cups? There can be discrepancies of over 100+ calories between the weight of food on a scale vs a measuring cup or serving sizes listed on a box. It's possible you're eating more and burning less than you think. If not, please be careful. I ate 900 cal or less most days for a few years and not only did I lose tons of muscle, I also started to lose chunks of hair, was constantly fatigued, threw off my monthly cycle, and activated a dormant autoimmune condition. If you truly find that you're 'under-eating' on a consistent basis you may want to have a chat with your doctor or a nutritionist.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Below (I believe) 1000 calories, it doesn't give you a prediction on your weightloss. 1000 calories is very unhealthy.

Not only that, it does not let you post at all.
    After two heart attacks ( one silent and the other on March 27th ) I was put on a 1000 calorie diet ( at close to 70 and being under 5 feet tall, that is ok for medical reasons for a while ) and if I only eat 999 calories I cannot log and must add the one calorie through quick calories to be able to log.

• robinparker223
    Options
    OP, it doesn't HAVE to be healthy food. You can eat whatever you want. I know if I was told to only eat 10 kinds of food, by day 3 I'd throw myself into a pint of Ben and Jerrys...

Btw, I lost the weight by eating a serving of ice cream most days. And wine. And beer.

You can also eat some of your exercise calories. MFP calculates a deficient without factoring in exercise.

I am soooooo glad to hear you say that...I am looking forward to having a nice scoop of ice cream now myself... Where I am always moving I opted to select the "Active" option to increase my calories also! Just as a reminder.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    Do you rely on MFP for your exercise calorie calculations? I've found it grossly overestimates my burn most of the time. And do you measure with a food scale or just cups? There can be discrepancies of over 100+ calories between the weight of food on a scale vs a measuring cup or serving sizes listed on a box.

It's possible you're eating more and burning less than you think.

THIS THIS THIS THIS

It overestimates burn. There is an incredible amount of room for error on this site, between not logging handfuls, or times that it "doesn't count", and eating back XX amount of blah blah.

Logging is great, and it can show us huge pitfalls in our behavior. But logging can also be used as another excuse when we aren't honest with it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I made those recipes... Um some of the other logs I looked up what I was eating based on what I had on my plate...

So you entered each item in the recipe builder? That's good. If you use a random entry from a different user, it could be drastically different. You don't know if someone used light bread or mayo, how much cheese they put in, if something was cooked with oil, etc..
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    When you decided to lose weight, did you also decide to cut out foods you think are bad? Adding some of those back in will help. It took me a few weeks to realize I could use mayo and butter in my meals. Now, I eat whatever I want and maintain weight, as long as my macros and calorie goals are met.
  • robinparker223
    Options
    When you decided to lose weight, did you also decide to cut out foods you think are bad? Adding some of those back in will help. It took me a few weeks to realize I could use mayo and butter in my meals. Now, I eat whatever I want and maintain weight, as long as my macros and calorie goals are met.

Yes when I started I stopped eating All the things I thought were bad...chips, cookies, soda, most bread, things like that....I really thought I couldn't have them...I have started today eating a wider variety of food...not just the HEALTHY stuff...I started feeling bad last night that is what sparked all these questions.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your solid food with a scale? You could be eating more than you think. Accuracy is key. And consistency.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes when I started I stopped eating All the things I thought were bad...chips, cookies, soda, most bread, things like that....I really thought I couldn't have them...I have started today eating a wider variety of food...not just the HEALTHY stuff...I started feeling bad last night that is what sparked all these questions.

I make healthier versions of desserts that I love, so I boiled raspberries, an apple and some water with a teaspoon of sugar until it was like pie filling, separated it into 5 portions, then I add 10g of graham cracker crumbs to each serving, and top it with 30g of full fat whipped cream, and it's so satisfying, but it's 250 calories. So it really helps me get closer at the end of the night, but its so good! (I also do this with a super plain cheesecake and cherry coulis).

Just try to think of things like that that will help you stop thinking about food as 'bad' food, because you've made it slightly better by making it from scratch, you know exactly what's in it.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Also, we shouldn't be eating as little as we can tolerate. I would burn out so fast if I ate at the level your diary indicates!

Instead, we should be eating as many calories as possible while still seeing results. This isn't a race. Your entire body will thank you. :smile:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some more calorie dense foods--a little goes a long way with nuts, nut butters, avocados .... They can up your daily intake and provide some quality nutrients.

I love eating peanut or almond butter with my ice cream!
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    Also, we shouldn't be eating as little as we can tolerate. I would burn out so fast if I ate at the level your diary indicates!

Instead, we should be eating as many calories as possible while still seeing results. This isn't a race. Your entire body will thank you. :smile:

This! If you are sure that you are tracking accurately (weighing your food with a scale, using accurate entries, etc) and have entered all of your information into MFP correctly (weight, activity levels, etc), you should aim to eat as close to the goal that MFP gives you as is comfortable! There's no need to cut back even further if you want this to be sustainable over the long run! Some of the previous posters have given you some great advice here! Good luck :)
  • brookekingyens
    brookekingyens Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I just snooped your diary...

Homeade - Pancakes, 2 large pancakes: 22g of protein, 5g of fat, 0 sugar and 16g Carbs!

If you entered this recipe please share :)