Military Veterans, Help Needed

Options
I'm enlisting in the Air Force and will ship out to basic in Summer of 2016, the mental challenge is something I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get started with. However, the physical portion is gonna be a problem.
How should I train ahead of time? Would regular 5 mile runs, push ups, pull ups, and crunches along with standard weight training be proficient?
I have time on my side, but I plan on making the most of it

Replies

• 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First of all, thank you for wanting to serve. I don't want to sound like an a hole but what you mentioned would be more than you would ever have to do in the air force. Good luck.
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1234usmc wrote: »
    First of all, thank you for wanting to serve. I don't want to sound like an a hole but what you mentioned would be more than you would ever have to do in the air force. Good luck.
    i understand, I'm only joining the air force because I intend on going on with a computer science job in the future and the air force would give better experiences in that field than any other branch
  • ericah971
    ericah971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Being a veteran, I can say if you do those you will be ahead of the game. Thank you for your plans to serve our country.
  • meckiemelt
    meckiemelt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with the everyone else. That is more than enough to prepare you for basic training.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Now I can't speak for the Air Force, but I know how the Army works. But with this piece I doubt there's much of a difference. They had minimum fitness requirements to start basic training (it wasn't hard. Like 25 pushups, 25 situps, and be able to run a mile in 9 minutes). But when you actually get to basic, the drill sergeants will assume you are at the bare bones minimum fitness level and train accordingly. So just doing a little running with a few push ups and sit ups you'll be fine for any service you go into.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I did nothing to prepare for Army Basic Training and performed pretty well. I was in the best shape of my life when I got out of there. It was also the best experience of my life. For years, I dreamed about doing Basic Training again just because it was such a unique experience and I loved the mental and physical challenge.
  • aquamagnum
    aquamagnum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Was in for 12 years, just got out. Doing what you said is more than enough.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My husband just did a lot of running and he did mostly okay (he's Navy). He did say that the pull-ups were an issue for him, so it's probably good that that's on your list.
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks for wanting to serve. Like others have indicated, you're ahead of the curve. I was in the army and the eight week basic was one of the best period in my life. I couldn't run for... but after basic I was doing two mile run in less than 14 minutes and over 100 pushups/sit ups in two. I started basic completely out of shape and overweight. It's amazing what one can do given the right environment. Put on a few after separation :-(. Just don't let the mind games get to you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    glickman1 wrote: »
    How should I train ahead of time? Would regular 5 mile runs, push ups, pull ups, and crunches along with standard weight training be proficient?

Running and bodyweight work, since there is a lot of that in New Entry Training.

I'd generally say that 10Km/ 6Mi is about as far as you want to do, but add some speedwork in as well as steady paced stuff.

I'd suggest a structured bodyweight training plan, rather than random pull ups, push ups etc. You Are Your Own Gym is written by a former USAF PTI, Convict Conditioning gets a good reputation.

And regardless of the comment upthread, the USAF guys I worked with in Iraq, Afghan and elsewhere were generally on top of their game.
  • brandiablay
    brandiablay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    glickman1 wrote: »
    I'm enlisting in the Air Force and will ship out to basic in Summer of 2016, the mental challenge is something I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get started with. However, the physical portion is gonna be a problem.
    I have time on my side, but I plan on making the most of it

It's been a while since my husband was in basic but I know he prepared with regular runs, push ups and sit ups... I think what you have been doing should be sufficient! I know the current AFI fitness standards can be found on their website http://www.afpc.af.mil/affitnessprogram/

Hope this helps. My husband is a recruiter and I know he helps inform his enlistees of what different fitness programs would be best for them to be prepared. You may want to ask your recruiter what areas he thinks you may need to work on.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    What you are doing will prepare you well like everyone has said. It's a good idea to get in as good a shape as possible before you arrive just to have one less stressor with everything else you will be doing. Wishing you the best on this and welcome to the club. :-)

U.S. Army (Infantry) Retired
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You've got a good program and should be fine. Note that you are entering a community where your fitness level will be a good portion of your performance evaluation. If you consistently perform high this will help you tremendously, open up new options, and earn respect in the community. My personal favorite guide (heavily biased):

http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    You've got a good program and should be fine. Note that you are entering a community where your fitness level will be a good portion of your performance evaluation. If you consistently perform high this will help you tremendously, open up new options, and earn respect in the community. My personal favorite guide (heavily biased):

I've been training for 38 years, 22 in the Air Force, and can say without a doubt, CSARdiver has probably forgotten more then I've learned about fitness. No other posts necessary...=)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree. Your training plan sounds fine. Aside from the APFT (running, pushups, situps), our PT sessions were mostly running (hills, sprints, and formation runs) and body weight movements. The most common way to get smoked was pushups. That's the one thing I wish I'd done more of before Basic.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I did Army and Navy. You will be more than prepared for Air Force Basic.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Unless it's changed from when I went through Basic Training for the AF, your final exam in basic will basically be a 1.5 mile run, timed. You have to complete it in 12 minutes. Basic is 6 weeks (unless you get washed back). For most average fit people, this is easy. Your suggested fitness plan will prep you well for the physical part of AF basic training.

Something to keep in mind: There will come a time during basic training when someone will come around and ask if anyone in your flight wants to tryout for pararescue/special ops. Details here:

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/air-force-special-operations/air-force-special-tactics-fitness-training

I doubt you want to do that, since you're going after CS post-enlistment. But if you're super-fit it is an option. We had two guys in my flight (of 50 guys) tryout. One guy didn't get past the swimming test. The other dude was super-fit; he missed the requirements by one pullup. They told him after basic he could come back any time and test again.

One other thing, and this has nothing to do with fitness: Don't rely on the AF, or any branch, to school you for the real world. I have BS in Computer Science. I went into the AF, scored really high on tests, and worked in electronics. But almost nothing I learned in AF tech schools and training prepared me for what I would end up doing later on.

If you want to get a CS degree after enlistment, my advice is just enjoy your time in the AF, save your money, don't get in trouble financially and use your G.I. Bill to go to college after. Especially don't get into trouble financially so that when re-enlistment comes up after four years, you don't feel compelled to re-up. This happens to lots of guys who intend to go to college after their four years is up. They get bogged down in bills and credit cards and they re-up because they feel like they have to. Stay frugal. Think about what comes next for you.

Don't expect any of your credits from military training/technical school to transfer to a college. Don't expect anything you learn in tech school or your job to transfer as well. If it does, gravy. But don't expect it.

Since you're on delayed enlistment, you probably don't have a specified job yet. If that's the case, you'll be given a list of jobs during basic (one of those days about halfway through the 6 weeks when you're sitting in a classroom). You'll get to pick three choices. From those three, the AF will assign you wherever they need you. You may not end up working on computers at all. Military owns you once you're enlisted and will use you how they see fit, where their need is.

Good luck. It's challenging.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I've been training for 38 years, 22 in the Air Force, and can say without a doubt, CSARdiver has probably forgotten more then I've learned about fitness. No other posts necessary...=)

Ha! I certainly did when I left and put on 75 lbs of lard on. Getting back into it now and have a reunion with some teammates in a month. Have a great weekend brother!