I really bonked during my 5k race...help!

Options
I ran my 2nd 5k race yesterday. The course was much hillier than expected, but I couldn't believe the feeling I got just a quarter mile into the race! My feet felt...heavy. My body felt like junk and I was in some real pain. I was sick by the finish and was super overheated and felt like throwing up. (The race was at a hospital, go figure!) I know my body well and felt fine and rested before the start.
I finished the race just a minute off of my last race time, which is fine considering the killer hills, but what gives? I ran 4.4 miles earlier in the week, so I was more than ready. I ate a different breakfast than last time (some Wheaties and whole grain toast with PB, going for more carbs to run with) but I didn't think it would throw me off so bad. I didn't drink too much water before the race but I was well hydrated the day before.
And I am having an awful time recovering. I had to banquet serve last night for my second job and today I am having trouble walking at all and getting down or up stairs. What is this?! I'm only 24! Has anyone else had a particularly difficult run like this? Could it be a hydration issue, vitamin deficiency, breakfast problem...?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the race.

My $.02, sounds like you may be over thinking the whole thing. There is no need at all to carbload for a 5K. Perhaps you went out too hard and fast?

Use your training to figure out what you should be eating and drinking. Remember these words: nothing new on race day. It matters more as the distances get longer, but still good advice.

FWIW, I leave for all my runs on an empty stomach (20 milers, marathons, etc.), as I've found that works best for me.
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You could be coming down with something, or it could be a womanly issue...getting close to that time? Did you workout or run the day before? Did you have a good nights sleep? There are so many factors....sometimes it just happens.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    If you aren't used to running hills, that could be part of it. That uses a whole different set of muscles that need to be trained too. Changing your breakfast could be part of it too. Like they said before me, never change eating habits on raceday. Also, just weather may be a factor. I know this time of year is hard for racing because you may not be used to running in heat yet (depending on the weather in your part of the country) and if it was warmer by even 10 degrees at the time of your race, that would definitely cause the overheating and sick feeling.

That said, at least you finished close to your best time which is good considering the extra hills! Try to get used to what breakfast works for you when training and stick to that. Get used to running in heat if you are doing more 5Ks this summer. Don't worry too much!