Over calorie goal and then a cheat day?

Options
Today I overate by just over one hundred calories, but I am going to a BBQ tomorrow that I can't not go to. Tomorrow is my cheat day, but I'm feeling guilty and I'm not sure if that will still be okay considering I overate today? I've counted up as much as possible my calories that I know I will be eating tomorrow, and with only lunch I've already eaten most of my recommended intake...

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    100 calories is not a significant amount to go over (remember it takes 500 calories a day to gain 1 lb.). I would just enjoy your day tomorrow.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    100 Calories over is not going to kill you. If it worries you that much, go for a jog or something to burn the excess calories.

And if you're okay with going over your calories by lunchtime tomorrow, what's another 100 for the weekend? A cheat day is not a magical thing. Going over by 700 on one day is no different from going over by 100 every single day - you know that, right?
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Absolutely with rosebette on this one. Enjoy your day tomorrow and if it really bothers you throw in a little extra exercise (running for 10-15 minutes will burn 100 calories).
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    OP go to that BBQ and have a good time, don't worry if you go over its ok. What I love about calorie counting is it keeps me accountable most of the time. I didn't become obese because of 1 bbq, I became obese going over calories everyday for months/years without even realizing it.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Today I overate by just over one hundred calories, but I am going to a BBQ tomorrow that I can't not go to. Tomorrow is my cheat day, but I'm feeling guilty and I'm not sure if that will still be okay considering I overate today? I've counted up as much as possible my calories that I know I will be eating tomorrow, and with only lunch I've already eaten most of my recommended intake...

100 calories over your goal will not cause you to gain weight. Remember, the calorie goal that MFP gives you is not a line in the sand where if you go over you gain weight. If you go over, you just don't lose as quickly as you set your goal to. That was a HUGE mental barrier that I had to overcome when I started. It's ok to roll over your goal a bit on occasion.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    wouldn't sweat it
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

100 calories? That probably within the margin of error of your ability to measure your intake and burn.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    100 calories? Go for a 30 minute walk and take care of it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    100 calories isn't going to hurt you, but if it were me, I would still limit my calories at the BBQ.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Perhaps work on your relationship with food? Its not good or bad. Its a tool. Make the best decisions based on needs and wants each day. If needing to lose weight, that should mean eating at a deficit more often than not. But this is your life - do what you think best.
  • AmyMetcalfe955
    AmyMetcalfe955 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's only 100 calories, work it off won't take long :) I've gone over by 300 today after feeling ill and crappy so just craved junk food :neutral:
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It's only 100 calories here, 200 calories there, 600 calories somewhere else . . . and we're all surprised that we gained weight!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's only 100 calories here, 200 calories there, 600 calories somewhere else . . . and we're all surprised that we gained weight!

Not if you accurately log your calorie intake every day and look at the weekly average. That's the beauty of calorie counting. Nothing should be a surprise if you're being honest about it.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Not if you accurately log your calorie intake every day and look at the weekly average. That's the beauty of calorie counting. Nothing should be a surprise if you're being honest about it.

Exactly.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    100 calories isn't going to hurt you, but if it were me, I would still limit my calories at the BBQ.

I agree with TimothyFish. It's OK to have "cheat days" but I still don't think we should be going overboard. We should still try to curb ourselves and practice proper eating restraint. Observe the skinny person at the party and watch how much they are eating. There is a reason they are skinny and we are over weight. We all need to start practicing good portion control now even on our cheat days so that we never gain the weight back after we lose it. Have fun at the party and eat what you want.....just watch how much you are eating.