Would you take this job?

Options
cmaurno2015
cmaurno2015 Posts: 14 Member
A Recruiter for Zurich North America reached out to me for a Senior B.A. job and it pays $75K. I basically got the job however it is a one year contract. "Try before you buy" type deal. Which is very popoular in IT. My current job I started out as a 90 day contractor.

Is a 25K bump worth the risk? This company has tons of room to grow. They are hiring for a new project they are working on that will take at least 3 years to build and then tons of working going forward.

I am currently an IT Business Anlayst and make $50,000. There is no room to grow and I can't expect to make much more than I am making.

The VP of operations said it is up to me to make my mark. If I become so valuable the contract will actually work in my favor and I can negotiate.

I would have benefits through the staffing company in the meantime.

Any thoughts? Would you take it? I am 25 and I am eager to start my career.
Update: 75K*******

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    BA -> Senior BA
    50k -> 75k

what's your current job security like? how likely do you think you are to get extended past the 1yr contract in the new position? same/different locale and office/remote work situation between the two? if not, are any cost of living/travel/commuting/etc. differences considered in the pay bump?

how well-reviewed is the new company on sites like glassdoor?
  • cmaurno2015
    Options
    so the two companies are right next to eachother. my job security now is solid and very laid back. Both places are pretty laid back. The one I am with now is a little too laid back.

I live half a mile from both offices. The company is highly reviewed on glassdoor.

• PsychoSupport
    PsychoSupport Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Where I work now I am making 20-30K less than I could at other companies but I love my workplace and the environment...wouldn't leave unless it became dramatically worse and that's very unlikely to happen.

you could always let the company your are at know you have this other opportunity and see if the increase your salary/responsibilities?
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    so the two companies are right next to eachother. my job security now is solid and very laid back. Both places are pretty laid back. The one I am with now is a little too laid back.

I live half a mile from both offices. The company is highly reviewed on glassdoor.

sounds like it just comes down to whether you're willing to take the risk of having less job security for a 50% increase in pay and a promotion. and it also sounds like you're pretty confident you'd get extended past the first year.

I'd go for it without a doubt
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

sounds like it just comes down to whether you're willing to take the risk of having less job security for a 50% increase in pay and a promotion. and it also sounds like you're pretty confident you'd get extended past the first year.

I'd go for it without a doubt

just don't burn any bridges with your current company
  • cmaurno2015
    Options
    To PhyscoSupport..I am thinking the same thing. I would rather this company just try to match and I will gladly take on more work! The environment I am in now is great so I know what you mean.
  • cmaurno2015
    Options
    Thank you Draznyth for your advice! I think I just might. We shall see :)
  • PsychoSupport
    PsychoSupport Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    and even if they don't "Match" if they give you something (5-10K) I'd be staying put :) but I don't have student loans or other massive debt so I'm not motivated by salary...just job environment and natural challenges of being the one stop IT for 100+ users..
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    good luck man, either way I'm sure you'll be doing well
  • Diondk
    Diondk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you don't take it can you forward my resume to them :)? 75k for 25years is not bad, i would take it.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    There is always risk involved when it comes to advancing your career. Contract work adds another element of risk on its own. Typically (which you probably already know), if you impress during your first contract, companies will find another contract to put you in once that one is up.

Good luck.

To answer your question: Yes I would take the opportunity.