What about Sucralose?

Options
I've done only very little research on sucralose and I don't seem to come up with anything alarming, other than it's not completely natural. Are there any known negative effects of consuming products with sucralose as an ingredient? I drink Sparking ICE waters and I eat Quest bars, which both seem to have sucralose as the sweetener.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It's fine. As are all other kinds of sweeteners.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I like it.

It's fine. There's a lot of alarmism about it and other artificial sweeteners. It's all unsupported.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I like it.

It's fine. There's a lot of alarmism about it and other artificial sweeteners. It's all unsupported.

Ehhh - not sure about that. Its bleached. Heavily processed & a chemical as far as Im concerned. Does effect quite a few people in a negative way. Whats wrong with moderate amonts of natural sweeteners like real maple syrup, cane sugar syrup, stuff like that?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    I like it.

Ehhh - not sure about that. Its bleached sugar. Heavily processed & a chemical as far as Im concerned. Does effect quite a few people in a negative way. Whats wrong with moderate amoints of natural sweeteners like real maple syrup, cane sugar syrup, stuff like that?

Everything you eats is 'chemical' made up of compounds of chemicals. Calling something a chemical has nothing to do with its health or lack thereof. Even the use of bleach doesn't make something unhealthy, it is something very helpful in removing pathogens from veggies so they don't cause food poisoning. All you mention is the alarmism that was mentioned by another poster earlier, most of which is not supported by any reputable scientific research but is people looking and saying, as in this instance, "Drinking bleach will kill you, so something bleached must be bad." That is not science, it is uninformed option which people like the Food Babe use to confuse people and demonize things that are fine in appropriate dosage.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I like it.

Ehhh - not sure about that. Its bleached. Heavily processed & a chemical as far as Im concerned. Does effect quite a few people in a negative way. Whats wrong with moderate amonts of natural sweeteners like real maple syrup, cane sugar syrup, stuff like that?

It effects some migraineurs.

So do coffee and wine and chocolate. I have severe migraines. In fact, I go to one of the two top treatment clinics in the country for mine, and they won't see just anyone. I have no reaction to it... what was your point? Processing? Bleaching? So? My yogurt is processed. My cottage cheese is processed. Everything is made of chemicals. Throwing that word around is a bogeyman that doesn't frighten me.

Why don't I use "natural" sweeteners? Calories. I don't choose to drink them in my tea.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's fine. As are all other kinds of sweeteners.

This ^^
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like it.

Everything is a "chemical".
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I like it.

Water is technically a chemical and required for life :)

To each his own. I use regular sugar when I am making my coffee or agave. I've never had a reaction to artificial sweetners, but some people do.
  • chelseahope221
    chelseahope221 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input! I really appreciate it!
  • chelseahope221
    chelseahope221 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like it.

It effects some migraineurs.

So do coffee and wine and chocolate. I have severe migraines. In fact, I go to one of the two top treatment clinics in the country for mine, and they won't see just anyone. I have no reaction to it... what was your point? Processing? Bleaching? So? My yogurt is processed. My cottage cheese is processed. Everything is made of chemicals. Throwing that word around is a bogeyman that doesn't frighten me.

Why don't I use "natural" sweeteners? Calories. I don't choose to drink them in my tea.

Exactly! Who wants the extra calories?
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I was at a dieticians office recently and asked about Sucralose, specifically. I had read the 'bad' stuff and also that it goes through your body unrecognized and excreted. She said it's fine. I also read through the snopes info on it which also addresses the chlorine issue that some talk about regarding sucralose. I'm always wary, but not alarmist - so I still enjoy things with sucralose in them, but I don't overdo it either (like anything).

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/splenda.asp
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly, try it. I can't have it, it makes me crave carbs horribly.

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I like it.

Stomach acid is partly made of chlorine, so the human body actually needs it to digest food.