Weight loss journey, where to start with exercising/what exercises should I be doing?

Options
After being out of shape for most of my life, I started a weight loss journey about a month ago. I've already lost 8 pounds just from my eating. My question is, where do I start in terms of exercising? I have a lot of fat in my midsection and thighs to lose, I'm scared of loose skin. Is walking good enough? Should I start doing more intense exercises and get a gym membership?
What exercises should I be doing? I am about 230 pounds :/ Thanks.

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Skip the gym! Look into body weight exercises. Choose 2 full body exercises and alternate them 4 days a week. Walk everyday. Have fun the other three days --dance, play team sports... Do it for 30 days. Then, every consecutive month, push harder by adding weights and/or going faster--keep it challenging.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy and will keep doing. For a lot of people, that is walking. You can start with a short walk and add time each week.

If you are more social, a gym and classes that you have fun in can work. Sometimes the structure of a class and set time makes it easier to get to. Lots of people like spin or Zumba.

If time is an issue, you might want to get exercise videos to do at home. Lots of people will have suggestions.

Experiment, see what you like and make modifications if you don't like something.

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the walking stick with it. If you wanna lift get a trainer for form check and something like sl 5x5 if you like running give c25k a shot.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I second....find something you like to do.

I've lost weight and regained it - in part because exercise was not a lifestyle change. If you can find some activity you enjoy and continue doing it after the weight is off, you will be much more likely to maintain your new weight.

Start with free, cheap options. YouTube videos, Hulu.com, library DVDs. Keep changing videos until something "sticks." By that time you will have built up some endurance and will be stronger.

I started with Walk at Home DVDs by Leslie Sansone. Low impact, no equipment required, go at your own pace.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Definitely find something you like to do.... I will suggest, try to enjoy lifting.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    After being out of shape for most of my life, I started a weight loss journey about a month ago. I've already lost 8 pounds just from my eating. My question is, where do I start in terms of exercising? I have a lot of fat in my midsection and thighs to lose, I'm scared of loose skin. Is walking good enough? Should I start doing more intense exercises and get a gym membership?
    What exercises should I be doing? I am about 230 pounds :/ Thanks.

What do you like doing? Even if you have never actively exercised, try to think of what you liked as a kid or what sounds fun. What would you be comfortable doing? If it is as simple as walking, start there, it is great exercise, burns calories and it is easy to adapt it to your fitness level. If you think something more structured could help, look into classes, whatever sounds interesting: dance, aerobic type classes, strength training, zumba, pilates etc. Look up whatever sounds interesting, explain you are a beginner and the instructor will let you know what class is for you. Or try swimming, look into videos to do from home etc. Really, unless there are medical limitations, focus on what sounds fun.
    To give you an example, last year, I was at a martial arts event, and there was this woman, who was there along with her teenager kid. She looked around 200 lbs, in her 50s and just got her green belt in tae kwon do. I am sure she will never win a gold medal in the olympics starting at this age, but this did not stop her from exercising and was enjoying every minute of it.