Had my son over a year ago...still hanging on to the baby weight :(

Options
Amandalynnemarie06
Amandalynnemarie06 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi everyone, I'm Amanda! I'm 26, 5'3 and 218#'s I had my son over a year ago and need to lose about 50#'s. Ive been clean eating and working out for 3 months and haven't lost a #. I need some support and motivation. Thank you!! :)

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, Amanda! :) Your son is a toddler now--have you considered taking him to the park? You'll both get some exercise just by walking.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The best thing I found to do was put the baby in a backpack and walk, preferably up and down hills if you can, every day. Other workouts can be hard to fit in with a little one.
  • raychella13
    raychella13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda! I've been in your shoes, and still am! I just had my 3rd baby a little over 2 months ago. I know its only been 2 months (and I've been through this before, so I shouldn't get down on myself) but I haven't lost ANY weight since I left the hospital.
    For each of my pregnancies it would take me forever to start losing anything. It's usually about 6 months before I see any weight drop, even with diet and exercise. I think my body just needs its hormones to balance out or something. It's just super frustrating when friends gain like 70lbs while pregnant and lose ALL OF IT in weeks. Rat *kitten*!! Lol. Anyways, I had the best luck after my second baby. I lost all the weight, plus10 extra lbs in 9 months. Here's what worked for me:
    Did t25 workout video in the morning
    Stuck with a 1200-1500 calorie diet.
    Walked at least 2 miles a day, or else did a spinning class.
    Walking was great, I'd take the kids right around nap time, they'd fall asleep and I'd walk/jog. I'd get 5 miles in on some days and walking really helped with my post partum depression (which I think contributed to my inability to loose weight).
    T25 was really nice, only25 minutes long and really kicked my *kitten*. I've been doing it for 3 weeks now while the kids nap or else first thing in kids, no weight loss though but I have lost a few inches, so that's encouraging. Maybe in the next few weeks it Will just fall off of me lol.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Calculate calories needed to maintain your GOAL weight.
    Eat those calories daily.
    Walk daily
    Resistance train 2-3x a week
    Sleep 7-9hrs/night
    Live generally stress free

Calculating and eating at goal weight maintenance ensure that when you reach goal, youll never have to "diet" again.

So to maintain at your weight you'd take 218 (x13-15)=maintenance so: 2834-3270cals to maintain 218.
    At 170lbs =2210-2550 to maintain your goal weight.
    Protein 170g 680cals
    Fat 68g 612cals
    Carbs 230g 918cals
    2200calories

Eat 70% wholesome foods and 30% whatever you like as long as they fit your macros.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I agree with mtnstar - buying a decent toddler carrier and just wearing her around outside has helped so much!
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If it's any consolation, I had my daughter 21 years ago and just decided to lose the baby weight about 8 weeks ago. You're miles ahead of me already. You can do this. The ppl here know their stuff:) and can be incredibly Supportive!
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Calculate calories needed to maintain your GOAL weight.
    Eat those calories daily.
    Walk daily
    Resistance train 2-3x a week
    Sleep 7-9hrs/night
    Live generally stress free

Calculating and eating at goal weight maintenance ensure that when you reach goal, youll never have to "diet" again.

So to maintain at your weight you'd take 218 (x13-15)=maintenance so: 2834-3270cals to maintain 218.
    At 170lbs =2210-2550 to maintain your goal weight.
    Protein 170g 680cals
    Fat 68g 612cals
    Carbs 230g 918cals
    2200calories

Eat 70% wholesome foods and 30% whatever you like as long as they fit your macros.

^This.

I gained 50 lbs with my first baby in 2010. I tried cutting out foods and killing myself with cardio. I lost 40 lbs but gained it all back when I fell pregnant again in 2012. I've maintained my current weight for nearly two years now because I did as Helloitsdan suggested.

Take it slow. Learn to moderate foods you love. Plan for after. And don't beat yourself up. This is 100% mental. I'm 5'3" :D too btw.

I'd also like to add if you haven't lost weight in months, I'd evaluate your logging accuracy. Make sure you're taking the right entries out of the database, possibly inest in a digital food scale to weigh solid foods. You can eat as clean as you want but if you aren't in a deficit, you won't lose weight.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda! I've been in your shoes, and still am! I just had my 3rd baby a little over 2 months ago. I know its only been 2 months (and I've been through this before, so I shouldn't get down on myself) but I haven't lost ANY weight since I left the hospital.
    For each of my pregnancies it would take me forever to start losing anything. It's usually about 6 months before I see any weight drop, even with diet and exercise. I think my body just needs its hormones to balance out or something. It's just super frustrating when friends gain like 70lbs while pregnant and lose ALL OF IT in weeks. Rat *kitten*!! Lol. Anyways, I had the best luck after my second baby. I lost all the weight, plus10 extra lbs in 9 months. Here's what worked for me:
    Did t25 workout video in the morning
    Stuck with a 1200-1500 calorie diet.
    Walked at least 2 miles a day, or else did a spinning class.
    Walking was great, I'd take the kids right around nap time, they'd fall asleep and I'd walk/jog. I'd get 5 miles in on some days and walking really helped with my post partum depression (which I think contributed to my inability to loose weight).
    T25 was really nice, only25 minutes long and really kicked my *kitten*. I've been doing it for 3 weeks now while the kids nap or else first thing in kids, no weight loss though but I have lost a few inches, so that's encouraging. Maybe in the next few weeks it Will just fall off of me lol.

My third baby was 1 on May 1st and I still have a bit to lose. I logged and ate at a deficit then maintenance for my entire pregnancy, and exercised until 38 weeks, and still gained loads, and my weight loss was really slow to begin with. After about 6 months it got a bit faster, and now she's 1 and I've been back at work for 6 weeks, it's coming off a lot faster.

Just eat at a deficit, try to eat healthy foods with some treats, and exercise and keep active. I rarely sit still, especially with three.
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    minkky wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, I had my daughter 21 years ago and just decided to lose the baby weight about 8 weeks ago. You're miles ahead of me already. You can do this. The ppl here know their stuff:) and can be incredibly Supportive!
    :D

I had my son 7 years ago and am now working on losing the weight. Eating half gallons of ice cream everyday for two months after he was born was the worst idea I ever had. Lol

Op, give yourself time and weight will come off. Weight loss isn't a fast process.
  • inked_Calimom82
    inked_Calimom82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. My son is about to turn 18 mos and I'm still about 45lbs over my goal weight. I gained so much when I got pregnant with him and for awhile, hadn't had the motivation to do anything until about a month ago. Now I'm lovin myself again, slowly but surely losing this baby weight! I log daily and would love the extra support from others and can also be a great motivator for u. Feel free to add me and good luck u got this!!! ;)
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Feel free to add me by the way, anyone. Just leave a message if you do so I know which thread you're from.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, except my lo is 20 months now. I'm 30lbs heavier than pre-preganancy. I broke my ankle and had a blood clot when she was 10 months old which stalled a lot of weight loss. I lucked into an elliptical machine, which is amazing. It's easy to use and pretty quiet during nap time and doesn't hurt my knees the way jogging does. It's worth looking into nutrient depletion. We lose a lot during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
    11411 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My boy just turned 2 yest. ❤ I have just got t25 and really want to give this a proper go. Am lost when it comes to food but hopefully I can figure it out. I too had pnd which was brutal. Am out the other side now. Just have to loose at least 22lbs. But I love chocolate and take outs etc. I am not very well suited to this at all
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Eat less. "Clean eating" will do nothing if you're not eating at a calorie deficit.

Log your food consistently and accurately. Enter your info here

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

to find out what your calorie intake to lose weight should be (subtract 10-20% from the number it gives you).
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Remember this: exercise is for fitness. It can help you create a slightly larger calorie deficit, but you can't exercise away overeating. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. You will lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day for every pound per week you want to lose. Weigh all of your solid foods, so you know exactly what your caloric intake is (measuring is not accurate).
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Do you work or stay home? If you are a SAHM, get up early, take a shower, get dressed, put on make up, and look good. Get the baby going, and get out of the house and away from the food!

If you work, that is much harder. Your lunchtime at work is your best bet for exercising.

Eating clean has a lot of carbs. I suggest Super Shred or Atkins diet to get you jump started.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Do you work or stay home? If you are a SAHM, get up early, take a shower, get dressed, put on make up, and look good. Get the baby going, and get out of the house and away from the food!

If you work, that is much harder. Your lunchtime at work is your best bet for exercising.

Eating clean has a lot of carbs. I suggest Super Shred or Atkins diet to get you jump started.

Not when you're a teacher and your lunch break is 35 mins, but by the time you've tidied your classroom and been to the loo, you've got maybe 25 mins, and then you need to set up for your lesson after lunch. And you do need to sit and eat and drink sometimes, since you can't do that while teaching :). If you get a full hour and do an office job where you can eat /drink whenever, then exercise at lunch time is possible.

I'm at work today. I should be out pretty much on time today (we finish at 2:55) so I've got a PT session booked for 4. Straight after that I'll collect my kids.

You don't need to do a specific diet, just eat at a deficit. I personally aim for high protein as I workout a lot, and I try not to eat too many starchy carbs, but I allow myself treats.