Protein Powders with No GMO's or Chemicals or Sweeteners?

Options
Ayirela
Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
Hey guys! I have a hard time eating breakfast in the morning, as it makes me physically ill. So, I've been thinking about doing protein powder for breakfast. What are some brands that you guys think are amazing, but have NO chemicals, artificial sweeteners or GMOS. As close to being natural and pure as possible would be brilliant! :smiley: Thanks guys!! :wink:

Replies

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb Whey Protein hits all your requirements except, it is sweetened. With Stevia. I don't think unsweetened whey protein would be appetizing.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    any reason for all of the restrictions..?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb or Teras Whey but they're sweetened with Stevia. I don't think you can find unsweetened ones.

Also, you don't have to eat breakfast if you're not hungry... it's a myth that it 'kicks start' your metabolism.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    GMOs are safe :) It's a great marketing gimmick though. What about something like greek yogourt in a smoothie for protein? I'm not sure how much is in it but that's what we do sometimes :)
  • Ayirela
    Options
    I've cut out processed things and chemicals make me sick. I don't use sweeteners because of the horrible side effects that go along with it. I'm not opposed to natural sweeteners like agave, but I steer clear of aspartame and splenda style sweeteners. I've done pretty good with eating whole foods only, and any time I have tried to eat processed things I just get really sick. I hope that helps draznyth :)
  • Ayirela
    Options
    I love Greek Yogurt, I do eat that...it's great. Francl27, I am trying to follow the potato not prozac plan as it is supposed to help naturally heal my anxiety so I can cut down on my need for anxiety meds. It helps a lot, but breakfast is my biggest issue I'm supposed to get a good bit of protein for breakfast, but if I eat heavy I feel like crap. So I figured protein shake would suffice for morning time. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Fairy dust
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Ayirela wrote: »
    I've cut out processed things and chemicals make me sick. I don't use sweeteners because of the horrible side effects that go along with it. I'm not opposed to natural sweeteners like agave, but I steer clear of aspartame and splenda style sweeteners. I've done pretty good with eating whole foods only, and any time I have tried to eat processed things I just get really sick. I hope that helps draznyth :)
    Ummm protein powder is processed. I guess you can't have it since processed things make you sick
  • Ayirela
    Options
    There has to be natural protein powders out there, surely. When I say processed I mean chemical laden junk foods. I'm sorry to have been a bother. I see I made a mistake making the post. I'll continue to look online for something natural like a hemp protein or pea protein powder.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Agave is incredibly processed. Not at all natural. Might want to start steering clear of that. I think your best bet might be trying to find something organic, though.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ayirela wrote: »
    I'm sorry to have been a bother. I see I made a mistake making the post. I'll continue to look online for something natural like a hemp protein or pea protein powder.

No don't feel like that. It's becoming too common of a problem here for people to make others feel stupid for asking questions. You're fine.

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    if you need something light but high in protein, why not try egg whites? the white of 1 large egg has 17 calories and 4g protein. you can save unused yolks for up to 2 days in the fridge and use them to make mayonnaise, meatballs, pudding... a bunch of things.
  • mclovingirl86
    mclovingirl86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Check out the company Pulsin: http://www.pulsin.co.uk
    I like their soy protein, but it's very expensive.
  • Ayirela
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! :) I'm going to look up the About Time protein see if we have it here! :) Thanks guys!
  • Ayirela
    Options
    Thank you, I will look at pulsin as well! :)
  • kmarc33
    kmarc33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Jay Robb or Teras Whey but they're sweetened with Stevia. I don't think you can find unsweetened ones.

Bob's Red Mill natural whey protein concentrate is not sweetened. Nothing but the whey protein and some sunflower lecithin, which I believe helps it dissolve in liquid. I don't think it would taste very good plain (or just dissolved in water). I put it in smoothies with things like avocado, bananas, pumpkin puree, frozen or fresh berries, frozen roasted beets, spinach, defatted peanut meal, plain cocoa, molasses, cinnamon ... (not generally all at once ;) ).

ETA - I guess if you don't want it in a smoothie or other "heavy" food, and just want to dissolve it in water, you could add your own sweetener -- I had missed that you use agave.
  • Ayirela
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! You guys have been very helpful :D
  • Ayirela
    Options
    LOL, Lynn, all of that at once would make a very interesting concoction :) I love green smoothies :) Broccoli blueberry and banana is one of my favorites. :)