When did you know?

Options
It's one thing to realize you need to change your lifestyle. It's another thing to take steps to do so. But it's an entirely different thing to feel it click.

When did it happen for you? When did you realize you had made a real, lasting change in your lifestyle? How did you feel?

Replies

• Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    At Christmas time, I usually make a huge food spread for just my husband and kid's. Kind of like a huge amount of appy's from a party. In the past we'd pretty much finish it in one day. (Mostly just my husband and I.) We'd gorge ourselves silly. This past year we didn't even make a dent in it. We laughed and had to give about half of it away. I was incredibly surprised. But at the same time ridiculously proud!!!
  • rigein24
    rigein24 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When I was able to say "I don't need that" and believe myself, instead of arguing. When I make a mistake and learn from it, forgiving myself. The mistakes happen less and less.
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I leave food on the plate and know that if I eat any more, it would just be very greedy.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When I started eating to train to be fit. I started planning my meals around doing better in my workouts.
  • rupertgardner263
    rupertgardner263 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I had knee surgery and couldn't chase my two year old around. The extra weight had made my recovery slower than normal. But I'm down over 20lbs in three months
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    when i had a stupid amount of takeaways in one week and felt constantly sick, bloated and disgusting. Something changed and i havent looked back. I dont want the unhealthy food anymore, and when i have had it, it makes me feel ill and i cant wait to get back on track. im down 23lbs so far and feel better than i have in years.
  • lchillies
    lchillies Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When i put weight on so fast i got stretch marks like i was pregnant! :'(
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    When I finally realized that you can't out-train a bad diet. I truly always believed that I was just overweight because I stopped/wasn't working out enough, and that all I had to do was start exercising and all of those years of bad eating would just fall off. It took me a good 4 years (and joining MFP) to figure it out.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    When I looked at my ailing Pa (stroke and heart disease), and my sister (three strokes before she's sixty), then at my teenage daughter and realised I didn't want her to have to take care of me for something I could have avoided.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    March 7, 2015. I realized I was no longer a fat person. Others might see it, but I'm fit on the inside, and it's working from the inside out.

I don't identify as fat. I'm no longer a glutton. I enjoy exercising. I eat a lot of vegetables.

Some examples:
    1) I wear really nice underwear. And outerwear. And makeup. And nightclothes. And workout gear. When I used to be fat, I got what was on sale that was in my size.

2) Yesterday I wanted McDonalds. I'm usually unable to finish an entire McD's meal, so I got the 2 cheeseburgers meal and split it with dh. When I used to be fat I could eat 1 and 1/2 McD's meals.

3) Went to Chili's, ordered a taco meal that had 3 tacos. 2 tacos went home.

4) I lift, swim and hot tub at the gym. I dance at home. When I was fat, I was too self-conscious to shower at the gym, let alone show up in a hot tub.

I am grateful that God has given me whatever it was that I needed to make the lifestyle change a simple thing, and not a struggle.

• candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My "click" or awakening moment was February/2014 when we experienced a pretty cold winter in the Houston area, and I began having neuropathy (tingling/numbness) in my hands & feet. I know at least 1 person who has lost toes due to diabetes, and plenty of people with this condition including in my family, I didn't want that to be me. I realized I had to do this. Before then, all I cared about was food & losing weight to be desired by men, I still care about food, but now I just want to be healthy and feel good period (emotionally, mentally and physically).
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Last October, during my grandfather's last health battle and after a decline for many years. I don't want my kids to worry like my grandmother, mom, uncle, and aunts have for those years and suffer through the last illness (if I can help it). No. I'm going to try to improve my body/health and live a very active life as long as I can, preferably with my husband who has joined me in this pursuit. I want to be able to travel and experience new things after we retire. I was headed toward a more hermit/homebound existence when I realized this, and I'm only 45! Not OK.

I just lost my joi de vivre after several years of emotional turmoil and losing loved ones. We're all stronger than those influences and losses, we just have to use the strength that we've been given.

I've realized that, after saying goodbye to Grandad. He's why I'm changing how I treat my body. I'm why I'm changing. My family and future are why I've changed.

I'm so looking forward to our futures. I don't know what's going to happen, if my dreams of traveling will come to fruition. I feel so much better, now, that the other things would be cherries on top!
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My moment was shortly after my third child's first birthday. My house was filled with family and friends, and only the chaos a house full of children at a birthday party can bring. I was horribly out of breath. My friend, a photographer, came to do a sort of candid photo shoot as a birthday present. I was trying to lug my toddler around to capture him in different settings (he couldn't walk yet), and I couldn't breathe. That's when it hit me that enough is enough. No more fad diets. No more pointless pills. The reality of it wasn't easy, and it's had alot of bumps in the road along the way .... but that moment has always stuck in the back of my mind as a motivator.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Maybe it'll sound silly but for me it was when I reached 30 years of age in January. I sort of shifted my way of reasoning. I thought, OK so for 30 years I wished I wasn't overweight and that I didn't smoke and that I was in shape and some other things, so what exactly am I waiting for. It's never gonna be the right moment and no one's gonna do it for me and do I really want to spend my thirties feeling sorry for myself and being insecure like i spent my twenties. This is something that is completely under my control, or rather, it should be. So this is what I'm doing - I'm taking control of the things I can control.
  • MerinneW
    MerinneW Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe it'll sound silly but for me it was when I reached 30 years of age in January. I sort of shifted my way of reasoning. I thought, OK so for 30 years I wished I wasn't overweight and that I didn't smoke and that I was in shape and some other things, so what exactly am I waiting for. It's never gonna be the right moment and no one's gonna do it for me and do I really want to spend my thirties feeling sorry for myself and being insecure like i spent my twenties. This is something that is completely under my control, or rather, it should be. So this is what I'm doing - I'm taking control of the things I can control.

Quoted for truth! Turning 30 has had a massive impact on me, as I realise I am now a grown-up and have, to a large extent, wasted my youth feeling crappy about myself. I look back and it's more than half my life so far feeling fat, weak, ugly, not good enough. When you think about it that way, it's ruddy terrifying. So no more. Time to do this for future me, so when I get to 60 I can look back on half my life spent hitting goals, feeling great about who I am and how I look.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    These are wonderful! Thanks for the responses!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    My weigh in was the same 3 weeks in a row, my trainer asked me "When are you going to get serious about this? You are paying me."
  • tacosupremequeen
    tacosupremequeen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just recently had my AH-ha moment! My boyfriend loves fast food and I used too (I mean technically I still do, I just like feeling good better lol) and the past week he's been wanting me to go to Wendy's and I would put it off because really nothing sounded good. I'd just go to the store and make some home cooking instead. I finally went last night and old Sarah would've got something just to get something. I didn't want anything! No craving! It was glorious lol not even a frosty lol anyway and the best part I think is that I didn't feel regret or like I was missing out or pain staking saying no. It was just a natural good feeling "I don't want this I wanna keep feeling good" feeling. I'm so excited!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'd say there were a few big ones for me. The biggest one was about a week and a half ago. A friend of mine passed away and I was just devastated. I even ate my favorite comfort food because I was so sad. I took the rest of the day off work and told myself that that day was dedicated to her. I gave myself permission to just be sad and grieve and not think about my program or food or anything like that. And while I DID eat some junk, the 'click' moment came when I realized that my friend would NOT want me showing my grief by ignoring my own health. I logged the junk and did the workout I'd had planned for the day.

The second one came a few days later. I was stressed and busy and didn't have time to pack lunch, so I knew that I'd likely have to buy something. Instead of getting fast food, or even a high-sodium healthier option, I went to a health food's store and got a bunch of nutritious foods instead. And I didn't do it because I felt that I had to, or because I felt guilty, or because I was afraid of failure. I did it because I didn't have any desire to eat any of that other stuff. A total "click" for me.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for a LONG time (since I was 16). I had quit a couple of times, but ended up going back to it after a couple months or a year or so. I wanted to quit again for a long time, but my bf kept coming hone with packs of cigarettes every day or two; I never ran out. And he smokes, too. Last October, I kept waking up coughing and couldn't hardly breath walking up the stairs doing laundry. I kept seeing people in exercise video infomercials, and I wanted to look like them. But I couldn't breath enough to get even 5 minutes into a workout. Then one day, I just didn't want a cigarette. I had more than half a pack, but I just didn't want one; so I quit. Never had an overwhelming craving for one, either.
    Then, in February, I turned 35. I didn't want to send another minute being miserable and out of shape! I wanted to be here for my kids. I wanted to have a fun, active summer with my kids. So I got a gym membership with my son, and started going every day (or at least 6 days a week) . I realized I had made a lifestyle change when I felt guilty for missing a day at the gym, and felt bad for going over my calories. I still haven't really had a "cheat day" since February!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!