24 hours without caffeine

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I just did this (unintentionally - we've been out all day and I haven't had the chance to get any tea), and that is NOT an experience I am going to repeat any time soon. WHY would anyone do that to themselves? I have the most thumping headache, and the patience of a snapping turtle on a bad day.

Replies

• mierla
    mierla Posts: 25
    Options
    I've been without caffeine for around 6 months. Best idea of my life.
  • eklugman
    eklugman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    haha I stopped when I was pregnant cold turkey and didn't have even the single cup of coffee were allowed.. when I miscarried, I ran straight for a dr. pepper.. hahah I don't even drink soda, but I wanted the caffeine hahah
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction to caffeine! I had to wean myself off of it. Now I only allow myself one caffeinated beverage per day...no longer a regular caffeine person. But I do love coffee!
  • butterflykisses9
    Options
    I could not live without caffeine!!!!! I have cut back a ton but still caffeine is what makes me through my day!
  • fteale
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but tea! I need tea! I just can't understand WHY anyone wants to give it up. It's good for you. And I am apparently evil without it.
  • Dieter11
    Dieter11 Posts: 2
    Options
    Too funny - go have a cup already! I think I'll join you.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    right when i saw that title i said... OMG how awful.. i can't imagine my life wo my coffee.
  • fteale
    Options
    Too funny - go have a cup already! I think I'll join you.

Cup one down. Kettle boiling ready for the next 3........
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Try Redbush tea...... I was told to cut down my caffeine (massive addict), so now I just have 3 cups of whatever a day and then sub for decafcoffee, redbush tea :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I'm having a cup right now. Join me and kill the snapping turtle.
  • thefluffyone
    thefluffyone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was drinking about 2 litres of coke a day, and then went cold turkey about 7 years ago. The first few weeks were a real pain (almost fell asleep at my desk a few times), but after a month it was fine and I've been off the caffeine ever since.

Very easy to do if you actually *want* to do it...
  • fteale
    Options
    I can understand not drinking coke (I never actually has, it's rank), but tea is positively good for you. Why the caffeine hatred?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    WHY would anyone do that to themselves? I have the most thumping headache, and the patience of a snapping turtle on a bad day.
    Or you could turn the question around and ask why would anyone do that to themselves. "That" being an addiction to something that leads to such severe withdrawal symptoms.

Personally, I drink ordinary tea during the day and decaffeinated tea in the evening, so I'm not anti-caffeine at all - but neither do I want my behaviour to be controlled by an addiction; I had enough of that with smoking. I'm in control of my body now! :bigsmile:
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i dont drink caffeine either...i drink water, flavored or nonflavored, and caffeine free diet dr pepper or caffeine free diet pepsi, both are fab!!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but tea! I need tea! I just can't understand WHY anyone wants to give it up. It's good for you. And I am apparently evil without it.

It's the antioxidants and whatever else in the tea and coffee that are good for you. Studies had tried to see if it was the caffeine, but they found that the tea and coffee were good for you regardless of the caffeine (as in they had groups on caffeinated and decaf drinks).

So, yes, tea and coffee are good things, not necessarily the caffeine.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I actually don't like caffeine much. Besides an occasional pepsi or coke I try to avoid it because it makes me waaaay to jittery!
  • fteale
    Options
    BUT the decaffinating process uses chemicals that are actively bad for you, so drinking decaff is usually worse, not better for you.

If the only bad thing anyone can say about caffeine is that it's addictive, I'll embrace my addiction.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    There are naturally decaf teas. Not all are chemically molested to be decaf. Anyway, I was just reporting the results of what had been found - caffeine isn't the part of the coffee or tea that's healthful. :)

And caffeine does have other side effects than the addiction, like increased heart rate which isn't great for everyone. I never read further on it, but there was a study that had said that caffeine also increased calcium excretion in women. (read: lower bone density)
  • nfanning3
    nfanning3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i say allow yourself a small indulgence. if you dont allow a little pleasure, you are bound to try to compensate until you go back to whatever it was you yearned for. for me, i will revisit my fridge or my cabinets when i shoud have just had that thing. caffiene or no caffiene, it matters not to me. lol