Muscle cramps

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
This is getting ridiculous... I can't do any kind of crunches and even sometimes if I bend over, my abs cramp up. That started months ago. So I mostly work my abs lifting and doing Les Mills Combat.

And now it's my legs! I mean, sure, I work my legs a lot (swift walks, often at an incline, cycling, Combat), but I didn't do anything yesterday and today again my calves started cramping up during my second walk... Last time it happened was last week end on the treadmill when I tried to walk at a 9% incline.

Is there any way to stop that?

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you drink enough water? Get enough electrolytes?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I drink water all day... Around 2 liters plus 3 cups of coffee.
  • Ronin_HFX
    Ronin_HFX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I think you net your water after the coffee - so if you have 3 x 8 oz coffee you need to drink an extra 24 oz of water (which is what I was always told - but I'm not saying that's true science lol).

Are you stretching before and after - making sure the muscles stay limber? I remember when I used to get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and a friend told me it was a lack of water and protein after workouts. Now this works for me - so again - might have absolutely no validity at all - but after each workout I immediately drink my protein shake made with water. I'm up to 3.5 - 4.0 litres of water a day (I love coffee but try to keep it to my one extra large 16 oz per day). Since I've been doing that and stretching/warm ups (and doing things like calf stretches in the shower while I enjoy the hot water) - I've been pain/cramp free.
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I find taking dolomite helps - magnesium and calcium - I take a very low dose and only when needed. Usually less than 1 or 2 g a week. Read the label and do your own research before giving it a try as there are side affects from taking magnesium by mouth which can be harmful. You can add magnesium to your bath in the form of Epsom Salts, absorbed through the skin, which does not result in the advers side affects.
  • sperkins68
    sperkins68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lack of calcium and potasium can give you muscle cramps
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Ronin_HFX wrote: »
    Well I think you net your water after the coffee - so if you have 3 x 8 oz coffee you need to drink an extra 24 oz of water (which is what I was always told - but I'm not saying that's true science lol).

Are you stretching before and after - making sure the muscles stay limber? I remember when I used to get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and a friend told me it was a lack of water and protein after workouts. Now this works for me - so again - might have absolutely no validity at all - but after each workout I immediately drink my protein shake made with water. I'm up to 3.5 - 4.0 litres of water a day (I love coffee but try to keep it to my one extra large 16 oz per day). Since I've been doing that and stretching/warm ups (and doing things like calf stretches in the shower while I enjoy the hot water) - I've been pain/cramp free.

Nah, the diuretic properties of caffeine have been overstated. BUT it is still possible that OP needs more magnesium, more potassium, protein after a workout, or to do a better job stretching as you said.

My mother has mineral absorption issues and experiences cramping when her numbers are off--keep testing for those in mind if the easy solutions don't work.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Try Glutamine
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

The diuretic effects of caffeine kick in after 6 cups or so, and even then they're negligible. As long as your pee is light yellow, you're good. :smile:

Other than that, make sure you're getting enough potassium, stretch, and take it easy until you heal. If your workouts are too hard on your body, you could be doing yourself a disservice. Don't workout through pain (light exercise can help alleviate a little DOMS). You don't want to push yourself through the pain and injure the very part of you that's trying to heal. Just a thought.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Stretch with your heels.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes dilute Gatorade G2 in water to help with electrolytes. I don't like G2 straight because it's too sweet, so diluted works for me. I agree with the others who have suggested stretching, especially after your workout.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Mae govannen! :) I like how you have named your meals.

I suspect you ought to look into your Potassium macro. You may very well be very low on this very important nutrient for good muscle function. It is one I have to supplement since I just don;'t get enough in my diet either.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    sperkins68 wrote: »
    Lack of calcium and potasium can give you muscle cramps

This +1 bananas
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

There's nothing magical about coffee that turns water into something other than water. Adding water on top of the other fluids you are drinking will only make you water logged. Drinking too much water without electrolytes can be dangerous.
  • camorganart
    camorganart Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's called DOMs. There's no magic cure but stretching, rest, and recovery.
  • EricNewark
    EricNewark Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol meds? Many of them cause muscle fatigue and aches. My doc had to prescribe a couple different ones before I found one that didn't cause me severe cramps and aches. Seemed whatever muscle group I worked out caused pain. Running, legs, crunches abs, etc.

I finally after testing showed my diet had reduced it alone stopped and after a week or two they went away. It was all the motivation I needed to watch my diet even closer.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Your food log doesn't list a lot of veggies. Try tripling the amount and the variety of veggies you eat.

If that doesn't help within a week, ask your doctor.
  • maddyd93
    maddyd93 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try foam rolling, it's helped me a lot.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'd guess you should take an electrolyte supplement

When I work out I take an emergen-C sachet because I like the taste but it has a mineral salts balance as well (I'm sure there are better versions)

DOMS is muscle soreness which I wouldn't term cramps .. Are you warming up and cooling down?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    The sole of my left foot has been cramping lately, but I realised today it's only when I wear a certain pair of shoes.

I doubt your abs cramps are caused by shoes, but I thought I'd mention my situation for any lurkers.
  • Francl27
    Options
    It's called DOMs. There's no magic cure but stretching, rest, and recovery.

No, I know what DOMs are, this is not it!
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Your food log doesn't list a lot of veggies. Try tripling the amount and the variety of veggies you eat.

If that doesn't help within a week, ask your doctor.

I eat a ton of fruit and veggies actually. Just didn't yesterday, but typically I have over 6 servings a day.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'd guess you should take an electrolyte supplement

When I work out I take an emergen-C sachet because I like the taste but it has a mineral salts balance as well (I'm sure there are better versions)

DOMS is muscle soreness which I wouldn't term cramps .. Are you warming up and cooling down?

Yeah, but it mostly happened during walking lately, so I'm not sure how I can warm up doing that, lol. And the crutches, when I do them, are at the end of the workout, so I'm definitely warmed up by then.

I'll look into a potassium supplement. I don't really care for bananas.